Should I Stay Away From A CAT D Mk2 Cupra?

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
There is a red mk2 cupra I have been looking at and its cat d minor damage. Been in contact with the seller and they said the damage was to the the drivers front corner.

Should I look into this more if so what should I do.

Or should I just stay away?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Cat D are usually very light damage, tbh.. my Mk2 Ibiza was a Cat C (click my link under my sig for pics etc) they normally can be repaired relatively easily so might be worth investigating further.

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
The car has already been repaired so I cant see what exactly what the damage was. So this being the case what can one do to check everything is legit?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
if its got the relevant paperwork from a VIC test (carried out by VOSA) then its fully legit. just has a knock on effect price wise for future sales, really.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
I suppose just the common-sense usual type questions, really.
Best advise anyone could give you though is that if you dont feel comfortable with the car, walk away.

good luck
:D

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
Yeah ill have to go and look at it first. The seller is asking for just under 10k for a 57 plate cupra with under 15k miles.

You reckon I could get it for even less.

Have to sell my TDI FR tho.

Poverty

Yeah ill have to go and look at it first. The seller is asking for just under 10k for a 57 plate cupra with under 15k miles.

You reckon I could get it for even less.

Have to sell my TDI FR tho.

my mate is selling a yellow fr dsg petrol 08 for 10k, hybrid the turbo and it will be quicker than a stage 2 plus cupra

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
i wouldnt but what age is it as £10,000 is quite alot for a cat D when you can pick up 07 reg Cupras for 12,500.

just remember though Category D is an insurance write off that typically was rated at more than 60% but less than 100% of the car's cost to repair.

Thats quite alot of money when talking about a 12.5k - 20k car.

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
If the seller is the person who crashed the car I'd be asking what it actually was that hit them, and they're reasons for selling...

If however the seller is a subsequent owner, I'd be wondering why the person who crashed it got rid of it.

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
i wouldnt but what age is it as £10,000 is quite alot for a cat D when you can pick up 07 reg Cupras for 12,500.

just remember though Category D is an insurance write off that typically was rated at more than 60% but less than 100% of the car's cost to repair.

Thats quite alot of money when talking about a 12.5k - 20k car.

Its a 57 plate check it, its on autotrader just type in cupra and 2 to 2.5 litre and its the red one.

Just done an insurance quote over 700 pounds think ill cool off on this one.

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
If the seller is the person who crashed the car I'd be asking what it actually was that hit them, and they're reasons for selling...

If however the seller is a subsequent owner, I'd be wondering why the person who crashed it got rid of it.

Id have to ask them and see what do all this in the morning now to late to start asking questions...

Poverty

seems quite cheap for a 08 plate tho.

Whats the hybrid turbo do?

Hes after a quick sale, hence the stupid money. Hybrid turbo is basically them taking your standard turbo and uprating everything on it to make it perform better. A hybrid k03 will probably outperform a K04, even if they are on par, because the FR can be had with DSG it will be quicker.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
depends on the car to write a car off it needs to be 60/70% of the value of the car, now factory in a 10k car thats 6k worth of repairs, now parts play a major factor in this, if the repairs have been done well its fine, but remeber you will eventually want to sell the car, and may loose out then.

i have bought/sold ex write offs in the past, and its not a bad thing, we get alot of car in that get written off due to the cost of new pannels were we allowed to use second hand or non gen then they would be saved, i myself bought a mk4 golf that was cat 'c' this had simply been stripped for the leather recaros, now to put it back to factory spec would mean full interior and wiring loom and airbag ecu, for me i rejoined the wired and fitted new seats job done,

so there not all lemons, just look at the quality of wok, paint finish gaps, make sure it drives stright, look for uneven tyre ware and still dameged chassi legs etc

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members