Show off your mk2 ibiza :)

m0rk said:
here's my old ibiza

weight.jpg

and the cordie before I did anything to it
side.jpg

and the 1.4 Ibiza "TT" when me and Steve had it!
http://www.8valves.co.uk/tt.html

and our three Ibizas have a little 'group hug'!!! :roflmao:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Paul.. how and where do your rear arches blend into the std car? Fabricated inner arches and triangulated into your cage?

Do you have any pics iof the fitment in process or anything?
I'm trying to suss it out for mine and potential wide track

Ah, tricky one this!

Well actually it's tricky if a) you want to run big wheels/tyres on a low car, but only go a little bit wider!

On the ibiza the rear inner arches are basically in 2 parts, it's easy to explain when you've got the car in front of you, tricky otherwise!

Basically:

I have cut off the entire outer skin, just behind the door, just below the window, at the seam where it meets the rear pannel under the boot, and seperated it from the inner arch at the lip. Then my replacement kevlar panel fits over the hole, overlaps the original panel and is bonded/ flush riveted in place. This actually means the new panel is slightly raised by the width of the kevlar skin, but you won't really notice this after you have skimmed the join with body filler.
I then cut off the inner arch above the tyre, back to the vertical inner panel. Because my car is so wide, the inside of my tyres are actually further out than this, so i simple fabricated a new curved inner panel 3" higher up the shell, and an curved kevlar inner arch is riveted to this.

Difficult to explain, actually easier to do! :clap:

(edited to add: on the interior sidce of the vertical inner panel, my car has completely new turrets to take my stuts and they are welded to the cage bars at this point, Your car won't need this and you should be able to leave the inner panels untouched)

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
lol. if you think cutting the wings off was extreme................. can't find those internal pics I took ages ago.

B6MFD said:
thats pretty scarey stuff......dunno how you dare do summet like that...
Like it...

Well it wasn't really too scarey, 'cause i was only starting with a grands worth of stolen recovered car. (had been nicked (with the keys!) from a petrol station when the women went to pay, and driven through a hedge (light panel damage to n/s) then they had poured lighter fluid over the rear seats, set fire to it and run, but because modern cars are very air tight the fire had simply gone out, so all it had was a smoke damaged interior, and all that was the first thing in the bin anway!

To be honest next time i'm simply gonna start from scratch and build / panel a steel spaceframe, it woudn't be a lot more work and gives you so many more options / advantages

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
max_torque said:
Well it wasn't really too scarey, 'cause i was only starting with a grands worth of stolen recovered car. (had been nicked (with the keys!) from a petrol station when the women went to pay, and driven through a hedge (light panel damage to n/s) then they had poured lighter fluid over the rear seats, set fire to it and run, but because modern cars are very air tight the fire had simply gone out, so all it had was a smoke damaged interior, and all that was the first thing in the bin anway!

To be honest next time i'm simply gonna start from scratch and build / panel a steel spaceframe, it woudn't be a lot more work and gives you so many more options / advantages

many thanks for the pictures Paul..
was wondering about the inner arches and their strength to outer arches requirement with the strut tops being on the inner wing section. my roll cage being no where near as comprehensive as yours. outer wing bonding being just a skin afterwards and non structural etc.. I was worrying a little about removing some rear stiffness if the inner wings did'nt attach to anything as such on the outer edge.. if that reads as i meant it.. pictures speak 1000 words..

:thumbup: