Just wanted a better FR touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
e0a0b4a8fa1dc95550935d586c13008e.jpg

13168e622cce82ec570074fed2c5821a.jpg

Just wanted a better FR touch

Dude. That's amazing. You just took a dump on my resprayed gear knob.

Do you have parts numbers? I need this in my life.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The gearknob is mk2 FR and the steering wheel is a mk3 FR (buttons don’t work but that’s not what I bought it for )
Fitting was easy - posted in my RR

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
97e29b1f16c20c1335d25ee1571a7507.jpg

Going to be putting this in the car this weekend. I'm guessing I'll have to take the old plastic one out and just put this one in its place, but if anyone can tell me how, that'd be really helpful.

I've looked for some guides, but they all seem a bit vague.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Pretty sure it’s just a case of pull up handbrake then yank the cover forward and then tweak it off

I'll have another look at it today, but I spent a lot of yesterday looking up guides - including mk4 Golf stuff - that said I have to take the handbrake out of the car and stick a screwdriver in from the underside to release a clip. I'll give it a good tug first though, just in case - it'll save me taking it all to pieces.

I've noticed my arm rest is a bit loose at the base as well, so it'll be a good chance to stop any rattles if I do have to take the lever out - do it all at the same time.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
This is correct, long thin screwdriver inside to release.
It'll only slide off without doing the above if it's already broken although if it's knackered anyway I'd be tempted to try yanking it out but be warned they're bloody strong.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
This is correct, long thin screwdriver inside to release.
It'll only slide off without doing the above if it's already broken although if it's knackered anyway I'd be tempted to try yanking it out but be warned they're bloody strong.

Looks like I'll be taking the handbrake out then... The current one has never been out of the car, so I'm guessing it's not going to budge if I give it a tug. At least with the plastic one I don't have to worry too much about snapping anything, as I won't be putting it back in...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So I now have a handbrake covered in dead animal skin. A bit nicer than the one made out of dead animal liquid dug out of the ground...

0d11bc4fc8009f0b65ac87b97a598781.jpg

In the name of science, I sacrificed the old plastic one so there's at least one post on the internet that tells you how to get it off.

You won't be able to see it very easily because there's a rubbery plastic bit hiding it, but looking towards the button from the underside of the lever, you'll need to prise this white plastic clip upwards to release the handbrake cover. Just put a long screwdriver down there and try pulling it upwards while pushing the cover away from you. It'll unclip and just slide off, but it'll probably take a while.

7aa3f13ac2aad62ba824f4ff6c8de8a7.jpg

I also took the opportunity to tighten the nuts and bolts for the armrest. I never use it, but it had started rattling and that just annoyed me. On the side where the bracket slots on top of one of the handbrake fixings, the whole thing was just finger tight. Had to take it apart anyway to get the handbrake out, but made sure it was proper tight when it all went back together.

If it wouldn't leave a huge hole in the centre console bit, I'd have just taken it out, so back to being constantly in the upright position it is then.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Been thinking for a while now about re-trimming the fabric in the door cards with alcantara. I've had some spray adhesive for a while and if I can work out how to get the panel out, I might just do it...

Reactions: Manic172 and Rich.T

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The fabric panel can be removed by carefully drilling out the plastic plug welds on the back.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I was looking at those plastic welds when I took out over of the rear door cards yesterday. Would I be right in thinking it would just be a matter of gluing them back in place after?

Technically, I could just peel back the existing fabric from the side and spray adhesive in and stick it down again that way, but it would be nice to have Alcantara...

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yeah, a 2 part epoxy resin seemed to work well for me when reassembling mine.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, a 2 part epoxy resin seemed to work well for me when reassembling mine.

I've got some unopened Araldite I bought a while back that could probably do with using, and it would certainly make it easier to apply the adhesive bit by bit to make sure the fabric goes down smoothly.

Sounds like you've done something similar yourself?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
2664760f1c1836dc7cd3bf37fb8f9eb8.jpg

That didn't go quite as planned.

The glue soaked through where the foam had completely disintegrated, leaving white marks and it still didn't stick. Where the foam was in better condition, it stuck well and didn't come through.

I'm thinking a little research and then maybe the alcantara route...

Reactions: Manic172

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
d5c807b00fe8d08a02fb204c87190a4f.jpg

The thought of doing this to all four doors is a little overwhelming at the moment, but I've started so...

Looking around, it seems there are a few ways of doing this, from using a Dremel, a heat gun, soldering iron etc. On a lot of the welds you can just use a knife to break the corners off but that's easier on the bottom part where the plastics are dissimilar. On the top part I got as many as I could with a knife and then used a soldering iron to melt around the edges and pulled it through when it was soft enough.

If I had one, I'd probably use a Dremel to file down the edges as that would be much cleaner than the soldering iron approach. That or a heat gun to soften it enough to pull it through.

There's still plenty of space to stick them back in though.

Foam-backed faux suede has been ordered - enough to do all four doors - so now I just need to work on a plan to get it all glued on without any creases.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.