Single headlights to double upgrade question

Cadenzza

Mar 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I think, so please let me know if I had to submit this thread somewhere else...

I own Ibiza 6J 1.6TDI from 2015 with what I believe is basic kit (Reference), including single headlights that use H4 bulb.

I had a small accident ~2 weeks ago in which I broke my front left headlight, bent hood a bit and scratched my bumper. Not one of my proudest moment as it was my fault, but comparing to Dacia I hit I got the better end.

So, I have to fix my horn and replace headlight. I believe horn connector got wobbly (hopefully!) so I don't have to buy another one, but that requires removing fron bumper. This is also an opportunity for me to remove it by myself for the first time, and I was thinking about option to replace my single headlights for double. Reasons:

- I need to replace my broken headlight so I'll fix that
- better look
- better illumination ( I believe at least)

The thing is, I'm not quite sure is that plug and play operation, or should I consider any additional purchases and issues regarding my plan?

Thanks for your help in advance!

KR,
Cadenzza

AlR

Dec 10, 2016
I don't think it is do-able. Firstly, although I think the headlamp shells are the same shape and will physically fit, I believe the wiring connectors are different. I did investigate this, hoping the wiring to the lamp unit was identical and the diffrerneces to run the seperate bulbs was all internal to the headlamp. The major problem though is that your current H4 lamp takes 3 wires. One for low, 1 for high & 1 for earth. When you select high beam, the low beam is turned off. On a twin bulb H7 lamp, the low beam stays on all the time & the high beam is added. You would need to make high beam act the same way as headlamp flash, which activates the high beams without turning off the lows.

Reactions: Cadenzza

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can see that this upgrade is a lot of work, but surely some people have carried out this change in the past. A really pity if someone needs this information and it is not already available online, I'm sorry that I can't help as I've always had cars that had double bulbs.

Reactions: Cadenzza

Cadenzza

Mar 27, 2017
Hey folks

sorry for late response. Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll get the same headlamp as it was originally and fix my car up properly. I will then research a bit more what are my options.

Thanks once more!

KR,
Cadenzza

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Get some better bulbs perhaps? I believe all the stock bulbs that cars come with are all 'longlife' eg..dimmer, perhaps invest in a set of Philips Xtreme Vision +130 or one of Osrams' Nightbreaker offerrings. These replacement ones do tend to go pop after a shorter time though, about a year if you use the lights everyday.

Cadenzza

Mar 27, 2017
Get some better bulbs perhaps? I believe all the stock bulbs that cars come with are all 'longlife' eg..dimmer, perhaps invest in a set of Philips Xtreme Vision +130 or one of Osrams' Nightbreaker offerrings. These replacement ones do tend to go pop after a shorter time though, about a year if you use the lights everyday.
Hi KXL,

I already have Nightbreakers Laser, and they're throwing much brighter light than stock. Unfortunately, last pair lasted a bit less than a year :\

Thanks!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.