Slipping Clutch

wolfiecuprar

Dec 31, 2008
Sunderland
Hi all
Has anyone had problems with clutch slippage? My lcr's clutch slips occasionally, i does'nt matter what gear i'm in or how long / far i've driven. I do know when it does slip it happen's after just changing gear (eiter up or down) and i either have to lift off the accelarator or press the cluth again it seems to go back to normal without any slippage. Also it only happens above 2k rpm. Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Not really much we can say bud.
If its deffinately slipping then it needs changed before you wreck the fly wheel aswell and the clutch.
This will only happen above 2,000 RPM as this is when you'll be getting a steep rise in torque from your engine and the clutch won't be coping with this.
If your going for Aftermarket clutch and fly wheel try Southbend as they seem to be way better than the SPEC clutches in the LCR

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
is it modified in anyway, what bhp is it running...doubit it is but is it high mileage??... you say it doesnt matter what gear your in but surely 6th gear low revs has got to put more pressure on the clutch than 3rd gear 3k revs?? somebody confirm?

cheers

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
More pressure yes but if the clutch is slipping with say 100 ft-lbs then you will see this easily in 2nd gear with 2,000 RPM's

wolfiecuprar

Dec 31, 2008
Sunderland
As far as i know it's unmodified other than forge recirculating dump valve and a bda induction kit (which as far as i know won't change to much of the touque). It has'nt quite done 70k miles. The local garage has said it sounds like contamination on the clutch plate. Just a was hoping that someone else may have had the same problem to confirm it before i hand over my hard earned on a new clutch and labour. Also does anyone know how long a clutch change would take? And does the engine need to be taking out? Thank's.

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
If you change gear slowly does it still do it ??

like take your foot off the accelerator dip the clutch and change does it slip??

If not it sounds like the clutch switch to me. i changed one for slipping clutch while driving any speed and revs.its cause the ecu dont know the clutch is being pressed and keeps the revs on,

dont cost as much as a whole clutch and flywheel. only 5 mins job to change over aswell

hope this helps

john

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The engine stays where it is but you need to remove the transmission mount (between gear box top and chassis), gear box, wheel, drive shaft, hub/strutt etc.
Seat recommend 3 hours AFAIK.
Make sure they know how to line up the transmission mount and get new strwetch bolts for this too.
I would go to Seat or a VAG friendly garage to be sure they follow the way Seat recommend to do this.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
hi
could i have the same problem on my ibiza tdi as my clutch slips when i boot it but feels fine when driving normal it dont always do it did it when i first got the car when it had 59k on it been alright for the last 18 months or so its got 68k on now and started doin it again if so might just go all out and have all the work done at once up rated clutch, fly wheel, remap and fmic.

PurpleGolfMan.

Yellow FR TDI.
Nov 5, 2008
North Staffs.
stupid clutch.

hi. mine does the exact same. does it at about 2500 revs. Mines a fr running bout 195bhp wiv 32000 miles on it! wots the best uprated clutch to go for???????????

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.