Smelly LCR!!!

Charlie Br0wn

I have a one year old LCR 225 with 10k on the clock. I have only had the car a week, but have noticed a funny thing with the car when being pushed. There is a smell of sulphur (eggs) when the turbo is used for a prollonged time (such as up a hill). The smell doesn't last for very long, but is quite noticable in the car. I have read that soome people put a smell down to faulty coil packs but haven't noticed any problems with idle or anything like that. Could it just be a the CAT?

Appreciate any help so that i don't get fobbed off when it goes back to the dealer.

Cheers

Chris

jatinder

Looking for a job member
Aug 15, 2005
Clayhall, Essex
isnt rotten egg smell due to the cat after a long hard run? With any of the cars ive owned, that had cats there was always a eggy smell. i dont think its anything to worry about.

flashbsd

that woudl be the catalytic convertor, if the car hasnt been driven hard is blows out the crap from the CAT, and plus the CAT probably hasnt been up to that temperature.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Smelly egg smell = a CAT problem or maybe just because its blowing the crap out. But i would have thought your second lambda would have been kicking up fuss if it was focked!

Charlie Br0wn

Hope its not focked to be honest. Is your advice then to drive the car hard until the smell goes away (if its just a case of blowing crap out of the cat). How long should i give it before i take her back to the dealer? Been driving it a fair bit, done about 500 miles, although not always hard!

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
What petrol have you been using? I have heard in the past that cheaper fuels often have a higher sulphur content, this in turn leads to higher levels of hydrogen sulphide being produced, which happens to smell like bad eggs. (or is that just b0l0cks).

Charlie Br0wn

Been using Sainso's Super Unleaded mostly, with the occasional Optimax when i can get to a garage. What does everyone else use out of curiosity?

Charlie Br0wn

smell seems to have subsided now. Took her out last night for a good seeing to and it seemed fine. Might just have been as someone on the forum suggested, that it was crap being burnt out from the CAT. Will keep an eye on it but happy enough if the smell has gone away now.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise