Software gremlins

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Sounds very similar to issues experienced with the W177 Mercedes A Class where the camera picks up the 50 or 60 markings on the lorry and thinks it is a road sign displaying the speed limit!

I dont have the advanced driver assistance package on my A250 which I replaced my Cupra with but it does have the annoying Lane Assist which does occasional strange things especially at roadworks.

Seems like a lot of issues with all the new tech being fitted to modern cars across all manufacturers. Starting to think the Mk3 Cupra 300 was one of the last great fairly straightforward affordable drivers cars.

Deleted member 123864

The Mk4 in the less than 500km I have it… Lane Assist only comes on above 60km/h and disengages again below 55. That seems to solve the issues people had with earlier versions of the Leon.
The traffic cam speed display is not just from speed limit signs, it definitely takes the speed from the nav system too sometimes… 50 limit ahead warning for example, with the actual speed limit sign around the next bend.

Tell

Staff member
The Mk4 in the less than 500km I have it… Lane Assist only comes on above 60km/h and disengages again below 55. That seems to solve the issues people had with earlier versions of the Leon.
The traffic cam speed display is not just from speed limit signs, it definitely takes the speed from the nav system too sometimes… 50 limit ahead warning for example, with the actual speed limit sign around the next bend.

Probably round the bend is where the digitisation has put it in too early or it's clever and decided that at your current speed you need to slow down like front assist where it will break on country lanes if it reckons you haven't seen a bend 🙄. TSR overides the digitised map speed. Mib2 flashes up you have exceeded the dynamic speed limit e.g. the one it's read off the camera. Used with ACC it will slow the car down. Dont use ACC although I've got it so just get the warnings shown of limits and speeding beep so drive within those parameters.

Is ACC automatically enabled on these cars and lane assist so you have to turn it off like stop start ?. Honest John was saying another manufacture defaulted lane assist to on at each start up to get NCAP points. Hopefully Seat hasnt done that ?.

Footnote. To get different road speeds on the digital map when doing it you have to start a new segment off and a join. So anybody changing from the mib2 standard to a mib3 unit has changed map providers in the unit so if you got use to how ACC worked in mib2 standard it's going to work differently in a new Leon, TomTom v Here Maps cartography unlikely they got the segments exactly in the same place :oops:.

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Honest John was saying another manufacture defaulted lane assist to on at each start up to get NCAP points. Hopefully Seat hasnt done that ?.

The default setting for Lane Assist in the latest Golf is ‘on’, so I suspect it’s the same with the mk4 Leon.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
The default setting for Lane Assist in the latest Golf is ‘on’, so I suspect it’s the same with the mk4 Leon.

Thanks, just drives you nuts. I have mine toggled off on the Ateca 2016. Drove a week or so with it on, but prefer to steer around pot hole than thru them on UK roads. May be it's excuted better if it comes on at a higher speed but with bendy country roads with poor white line markings not reliable 🙄. Fun to use but a distraction.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Thanks, just drives you nuts. I have mine toggled off on the Ateca 2016. Drove a week or so with it on, but prefer to steer around pot hole than thru them on UK roads. May be it's excuted better if it comes on at a higher speed but with bendy country roads with poor white line markings not reliable 🙄. Fun to use but a distraction.

Fully agree. Why not let us, the drivers, be in charge of the car. If we would like the lane assist to default to "off" when driving we should be able to choose so and not have to keep switching it off each time we drive the car and getting a bright warning triangle up on the left hand side of the dashboard display.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
My reversing camera image seems to have disappeared! Maybe it's a simple setting? Anyone experience this or can point me in the right direction? It was working fine until yesterday. Now it's just the sensor screen if that makes sense 🙄Completely agree with views on lane assist. I really would live without it! I just turn it off as soon as I start the car.

shanec07

Apr 22, 2015
Sligo Ireland
My reversing camera image seems to have disappeared! Maybe it's a simple setting? Anyone experience this or can point me in the right direction? It was working fine until yesterday. Now it's just the sensor screen if that makes sense Completely agree with views on lane assist. I really would live without it! I just turn it off as soon as I start the car.

Stick it in reverse and see if there’s something on screen to pull/ push it over on the screen probably over on the right hand side of the screen.Or else check at the bottom there’s a few options there none of which I can remember off hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
Stick it in reverse and see if there’s something on screen to pull/ push it over on the screen probably over on the right hand side of the screen.Or else check at the bottom there’s a few options there none of which I can remember off hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying. No joy I'm afraid. Its like I never had the reversing camera. Its just gone and no option to put it back. I somehow managed to get into a "service mode" menu and think it's time I backed away before I make a complete mess of it 😂 it's a mystery. I'll email the dealer if I can't figure it out. I figured I was doing ok with no gremlins so far!

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for replying. No joy I'm afraid. Its like I never had the reversing camera. Its just gone and no option to put it back. I somehow managed to get into a "service mode" menu and think it's time I backed away before I make a complete mess of it 😂 it's a mystery. I'll email the dealer if I can't figure it out. I figured I was doing ok with no gremlins so far!

Tried resetting the unit with a long press on the on / off button. 10 seconds or so till it reboots just in case the infotainment unit has got confused. Other than that feels like a visit to the dealer.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
Tried resetting the unit with a long press on the on / off button. 10 seconds or so till it reboots just in case the infotainment unit has got confused. Other than that feels like a visit to the dealer.
Morning. Thanks for your reply. I had tried that but no joy 😕 it's very strange!

Tell

Staff member
Morning. Thanks for your reply. I had tried that but no joy 😕 it's very strange!

Perhaps the cameras got unplugged or seeks not to work if you see the screen markings but no view. I'm reminded of the Ateca Cupra one where blind spot didn't work on some models and it needed a VCDS error code clear to get the systems talking to each other. The other thing that can happen is that connections arent clipped into home during assembly. All of that needs the dealer to look at.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
Perhaps the cameras got unplugged or seeks not to work if you see the screen markings but no view. I'm reminded of the Ateca Cupra one where blind spot didn't work on some models and it needed a VCDS error code clear to get the systems talking to each other. The other thing that can happen is that connections arent clipped into home during assembly. All of that needs the dealer to look at.
I've just emailed the dealer. When restrictions ease I'll drop it in. I can manage without it! I'm old school 🙂 thank you all for your input.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
I've just emailed the dealer. When restrictions ease I'll drop it in. I can manage without it! I'm old school 🙂 thank you all for your input.
UPDATE dealer rang and said it'd have to be booked in. Himself went at it and it was just a loose connection in the actual camera itself 😳 it's working fine again. I was definitely overthinking the whole software thing 😂 it was a simple wire connection in the end.

Reactions: jcbmally

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
My reversing camera image seems to have disappeared! Maybe it's a simple setting? Anyone experience this or can point me in the right direction? It was working fine until yesterday. Now it's just the sensor screen if that makes sense 🙄Completely agree with views on lane assist. I really would live without it! I just turn it off as soon as I start the car.

Now my reversing image has also disappeared :(
The settings for Park Assist say it is currently not available.
Booked with the dealer but I have to wait until March 17.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
Now my reversing image has also disappeared :(
The settings for Park Assist say it is currently not available.
Booked with the dealer but I have to wait until March 17.
Mine went again too 😕 worked for a short while but now the screen has no image at all in it - it went blurry first and has now disappeared. No connection problem that I can fix this time. Off to the dealer too. Bit of a pain.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone have any insights as to how often the Infotainment system will start up with the "S" for Seat logo? Normally, the car starts up with the Infotainment system showing either an "OK" button to resume operation with the Primary User (my Wife) or to use it as a "Guest". Twice, today, the car has started with what I would describe as the "boot" logo. Interestingly, this meant that my phone was then recognised as opposed to it not being found (my wife's phone is the primary phone which is normally found). All a bit inconsistent.

Educated Scruff

Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone have any insights as to how often the Infotainment system will start up with the "S" for Seat logo? Normally, the car starts up with the Infotainment system showing either an "OK" button to resume operation with the Primary User (my Wife) or to use it as a "Guest". Twice, today, the car has started with what I would describe as the "boot" logo. Interestingly, this meant that my phone was then recognised as opposed to it not being found (my wife's phone is the primary phone which is normally found). All a bit inconsistent.
my Infotainment system starts with the “OK” button and only with the “S” with a system reboot, but I did notice my maps updated yesterday and I now have traffic signs showing on my maps on the infotainment that I have never had before, whether that’s anything to do with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
A further interesting gremlin today. I drove the car first today and it recognised my phone. When my wife drove the car later (with me as a passenger), it locked into my phone but did not display her privacy symbol in the top right-hand corner of the screen and there was no globe. When we overrode things to choose her phone (which it ought to have chosen by default), the globe then appeared as did her privacy symbol. Definitely some bugs present between primary user and primary/secondary bluetooth phone connections.

This also made me think whether the car is attempting to bolster its 4G connectivity by piggy-backing on her mobile phone data connection. Does anyone know if this is likely?

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
Mine went again too 😕 worked for a short while but now the screen has no image at all in it - it went blurry first and has now disappeared. No connection problem that I can fix this time. Off to the dealer too. Bit of a pain.
Mine screen started to work again after a couple of days, but my dealer still wanted to investigate it (and some other issues I have with the car).
They did not find anything for reverse screen problem in my car, but they said that others also have reported this and that Seat is working on a solution.