SOS Error

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This issue is also a current discussion topic on golfgtiforum.co.uk. I think it’s also been discussed over on VWROC.com forum by mk8 Golf R owners.

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
I've had this issue on my March 21 build xcellence lux. Not sure if it's related to heat as I've had it happen on cool mornings. Last time I was near the Deptford Bridge and it died for 15 minutes then clicked in. I heard the same centre speaker clicking for about 30 mins before it died?

There is an article on the guardian newspaper website about this fault : https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system

I've been talking to Seat uk about this problem and showed them this press article along with examples here. All they say is take it to the workshop as that's the process! Total denial about this widely known fault. Don't think I will buy a vag group car again.
A really important link - thank you sarafiani - reassuring that it is a software malfunction and not engine related.

Aug 19, 2021
I thought my system was cured but today while driving electrical click-click sound is back and SOS system error visit workshop.

there are two scenarios for this
Failure Sequence 1
· Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
· "Error: Emergency Call. Please visit workshop error” on Instrument Cluster
· SOS Light goes off on roof
· Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
· Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster

Failure Sequence 2
· Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
· SOS call is now active message on Instrument Cluster
· SOS Light goes off on roof
· Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
· Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster

In both scenario loss connection to server (globe and user is gone)

I've seen both of them already, it's really annoying they don't know what to do with it. It is plenty discussion on VW forum about it also so it affecting all VAG car with the same series of issues.

Contacted SEAT UK about it too, but no answer there. Most useless service ever there!!
There is some recalls for Golf but nothing mentioned on SEAT!

First post on here, I came across this site as I have this exact same issue with my First Edition Leon.

Has anyone managed to get this issue fixed yet or am I going to have a battle on my hands with the dealer (Letchworth Seat)?

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I'm in with battle to Caffyns and SEAT UK. I don't think they know how to fix it the car has been in service 2x already (first-time software update, second time SOS unit replace) and error persist

Last edited:

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
First post on here, I came across this site as I have this exact same issue with my First Edition Leon.

Has anyone managed to get this issue fixed yet or am I going to have a battle on my hands with the dealer (Letchworth Seat)?

There is an article on the guardian newspaper website about this fault : https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system It seems that this is an issue that many people have had. In May last year, VW was temporarily forced to halt deliveries of the Golf because the eCall emergency assist function was not working reliably. The EU imposed the requirement on car manufacturers, to have an SOS system. It is not immediately obvious what it is for or how it helps. My experience has been a complete shut-down of the Infotainment system clears the message. It has got to be important to ensure that Seat are aware - each and every time it happens - contact: [email protected]

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
There is an article on the guardian newspaper website about this fault : https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system It seems that this is an issue that many people have had. In May last year, VW was temporarily forced to halt deliveries of the Golf because the eCall emergency assist function was not working reliably. The EU imposed the requirement on car manufacturers, to have an SOS system. It is not immediately obvious what it is for or how it helps. My experience has been a complete shut-down of the Infotainment system clears the message. It has got to be important to ensure that Seat are aware - each and every time it happens - contact: [email protected]
"The EU imposed the requirement on car manufacturers, to have an SOS system." - nuff said.

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
What works for me is after error open cover and press twice the 🆘 button. The unit will reboot in approximately 2 minutes and that's what clear my error while driving.
Does anyone actually know if Seat acknowledge that there is a problem and if so are the working on a fix?

sarafianl

May 25, 2021
Worcester Park
Does anyone actually know if Seat acknowledge that there is a problem and if so are the working on a fix?
I think there fully aware of it. I supplied a lot of evidence to seat uk and it was total denial. The motive I suspect is they need to do a recall.

I'm going to try going through the motions of the workshops as seat uk want. First it will be a software upgrade. That won't do anything based on what others have said. Then back again for a new sos module where that won't do anything as others have done. Once those two steps are out of the way I'm going to see what seat uk say next. In keeping a ticket open with them.

Rob22

Aug 23, 2021
Another one here with the issue and seems to be getting worse (happening now every 40 miles or so). The more frustrating bit is it also seems to freeze the location in Andriod Auto/Google Maps (I've just finished talking my wife through a drive through central London as the car stopped updating her location). A couple of times it seems to have frozen the entire infotainment system with a just a please wait symbol (despite long-press re-starts etc)

So far I've struggled to get the car looked at. Both Harlow and Hertford told me they couldn't take a look for 6-8 weeks and said they hadn't had anyone else with the issue which I find odd based of how common it seems online. I had booked into Braintree (a 2 hour round trip) but they cancelled as they've said it's now a known issue across the entire range but no timescale for resolving. Getting to the point where I just want to cancel my lease as it's not fit for purpose (a faulty safety feature and no sat nav)

sarafianl

May 25, 2021
Worcester Park
Another one here with the issue and seems to be getting worse (happening now every 40 miles or so). The more frustrating bit is it also seems to freeze the location in Andriod Auto/Google Maps (I've just finished talking my wife through a drive through central London as the car stopped updating her location). A couple of times it seems to have frozen the entire infotainment system with a just a please wait symbol (despite long-press re-starts etc)

So far I've struggled to get the car looked at. Both Harlow and Hertford told me they couldn't take a look for 6-8 weeks and said they hadn't had anyone else with the issue which I find odd based of how common it seems online. I had booked into Braintree (a 2 hour round trip) but they cancelled as they've said it's now a known issue across the entire range but no timescale for resolving. Getting to the point where I just want to cancel my lease as it's not fit for purpose (a faulty safety feature and no sat nav)
Hi Rob,

I'm not surprised that Android auto cuts out. When this issue crops up the data services die so that will defintely knock android auto which cannot function without an active coinnection to the internet. I always use the onboard NAV which carries on working if the issue pops whilst you were driving.

That's interesting Braintree have admitted it. That's the very ever Seat dealer that has admitted it.

Rob22

Aug 23, 2021
Interesting on the Andriod Auto point I'd assumed it was using my phones data connection rather than the car's and the car was acting as a dumb mirror of the phone. I'll test it next time but I think android auto audio was still streaming but the location not updating

Deleted member 123864

Android Auto uses the phone's data, not the car's.

Aug 26, 2021
Hi guys.

Having the exact same issues as described above. Large clicking sound from central speaker followed by SOS error then majority of the time the screen stuck on loading settings. At the exact same time, the car disconnects from the user account and the symbol disappears and won’t let me back on just like someone else described above.

Anyone’s been fixed yet? I’m within 30 days of purchasing my car so wondering whether I should reject or wait it out.

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
Weird, they told me they know the topic, they know what to do and they need a car for 4 hours.
After the visit, I did not have this error anymore. Maybe twice since then, the modem restarted with a characteristic double click but without SOS error.

Aug 26, 2021
Just heard from the dealership. They’ve spoken to Seat who are aware of the issue and are currently working out a fix. Will keep chasing and let you all know when I hear something.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I had the unit replaced for different one. And the error is pretty much same sometimes i just have sos call active on dashboard other times visit workshop. So they don't know how to fix it for sure. Nothing published in Erwin either about it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members