SOS Error

Sep 1, 2021
First post here. My FR First edition is currently with Seat at the moment for this complaint. Exactly the same symptoms with the speaker popping around lack of signal area. For me they're waiting for a reply from Seat technical regarding the issue. I'm a diag tech for Audi and we have the same issues with a pending software update to the SOS unit which they have no idea when it'll be released. Been told it's related to the signal towers and new 5G towers (how true this is I do not know).

sarafianl

May 25, 2021
Worcester Park
Hi All. Small update. Just came off the phone with a Seat UK escalation manager. There are more people starting to call in with this. He has indicated that Seat Spain have not told them in the UK about a formal fix. He did admit it is a known fault though and indicated Skoda does have a fix for there fleet.

I've got mine booked in for a software update. Not holding any hope but they will be following up with my case refference.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I'm also chasing my repair on my vehicle, long story short. The dealer offered to buy the car back as they sell it to me 3 months ago I declined as this would cause more inconvenience on my site.

Reply from SEAT when chased the repair:
Dear X

Thank you for our recent contact to SEAT UK.
As per my previous emails the Retailer has advised to buy the vehicle back from you alternatively your other option is to await the fix.
A navigation unit will not be replaced as this has not been authorised to do so.
At this stage there will be no further support from SEAT UK and this is our full and final stance.
Any further correspondence will be logged but not responded to.

List of issue claimed to get fix in their Franchise service (SEAT Authorized)
- Navigation isn't available message
- Two loud electrical click-click through audio and notice the connection service is gone
- SOS call is an active message
- Front assist and Lane assist error
- Blank multimedia screen only parking camera displayed (picture)
- Squeaky door handle inside - after repair door handle and card is damaged (picture)
- After the last visit steering wheel leather damaged (ordered new part)
- Metal rattle sound from boot after repair find out plastic not lined correctly
- Parking sensors/camera not working error (picture)
- Airbag error
- SOS system error visit workshop (SOS call is an active message)

- Not able to adjust temperature or change air direction on the screen (temperature lock)
video for link https://photos.app.goo.gl/LjzpxsJsGM8GLRPD7
- Can not control the infotainment screen (menu, aircon, setting)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BaTb5TLGPT4E721z6

In my opinion, this is absolutely ridiculous, this car is on market for almost 2years and they don't know how to fix simple issues? Declining to acknowledge multimedia unit is lagging power especially the first edition with software 16XX (5FA035862) and for the proper fix they would have to replace it for another unit with revision F and software 18XX (5FA035862F). Honestly what a joke if the mistake has been made due to poor engineering this should not be reflected on customers especially if you pay +£20k for a car.

Everyone should make their own opinion on all this situation, sorry for a bit of topic

Last edited:

sarafianl

May 25, 2021
Worcester Park
Well dealer called cob and cancelled my appointment about the sos error. They said they have no idea what the fix is and had no advice. Seat uk plan to call me back Tuesday so will tell them the news. I probed them for facts and they said there getting increasing calls about the issue. Interestingly people have reported more problems in central London than other parts of the greater London or further. They know the fault does lie in the ocu but no instructions to resolution. The fight goes on people.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I think until somebody gets some lawsuit fired up then nothing going to happen. Seat UK is running their service as a franchise so they don't have a clue and control over it. In my opinion, this is a huge mess. Plenty of issues are put on car owners without any compensation.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
First post here. My FR First edition is currently with Seat at the moment for this complaint. Exactly the same symptoms with the speaker popping around lack of signal area. For me they're waiting for a reply from Seat technical regarding the issue. I'm a diag tech for Audi and we have the same issues with a pending software update to the SOS unit which they have no idea when it'll be released. Been told it's related to the signal towers and new 5G towers (how true this is I do not know).
I live in the middle of nowhere, never heard the double pop until I drove into a city area, probably the only 5G area near me, then heard it three times in a couple of hours - so I'd agree it might well be related to 5G.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I live in the middle of nowhere, never heard the double pop until I drove into a city area, probably the only 5G area near me, then heard it three times in a couple of hours - so I'd agree it might well be related to 5G.
I've delayed changing the car until (at least) next March but have a 5G mast on the main road about 400 yards as the crow flies so I'd have no chance of avoiding the issue. If its 5G related hope its fixed by then🤞.

Deleted member 123864

I live in a 5G area and have only experienced once, in a completely different place

2Pedals

Sep 8, 2021
Hi guys,

New to this forum 👋
Just wanted to add my experience, having not long taken ownership of my first Leon (First Edition). Started getting error messages related to ACC not working - This was initially put down to driving in rain. This was then followed by Lane Assist and Rear Assist (?) Also not working. This happened a couple of times before the vehicle was assessed by the dealership. Apparently it was due to a dashboard issue (digital cockpit part), so was replaced. So far, no further issues. Shortly after getting the car back, I suffered the NAV function issue (not working on dash, but ok on main display) plus the dreaded SOS.

The dealership genuinely didn't know what action to take (this seems a common fault, especially across brands), so why the secrecy?
I raised a case with Seat UK who were actually honest and admitted there was a known issue and that all other brands had software updates in the pipeline apart from Seat. When I asked if there would be a recall, I was told there wouldn't be and it was down to me to report the issue to my dealership so they could log the issue and contact me once the update was available.

Rob22

Aug 23, 2021
Hi guys,

New to this forum 👋
Just wanted to add my experience, having not long taken ownership of my first Leon (First Edition). Started getting error messages related to ACC not working - This was initially put down to driving in rain. This was then followed by Lane Assist and Rear Assist (?) Also not working. This happened a couple of times before the vehicle was assessed by the dealership. Apparently it was due to a dashboard issue (digital cockpit part), so was replaced. So far, no further issues. Shortly after getting the car back, I suffered the NAV function issue (not working on dash, but ok on main display) plus the dreaded SOS.

The dealership genuinely didn't know what action to take (this seems a common fault, especially across brands), so why the secrecy?
I raised a case with Seat UK who were actually honest and admitted there was a known issue and that all other brands had software updates in the pipeline apart from Seat. When I asked if there would be a recall, I was told there wouldn't be and it was down to me to report the issue to my dealership so they could log the issue and contact me once the update was available.
I just don't get how this can be a mandatory safety requirement and yet it's fine for it not to work without a recall. Not sure if this bit of EU regulation transferred to the UK but presumably if it did in 3 years it should be an MOT fail

Reactions: KoNG

sarafianl

May 25, 2021
Worcester Park
The saga goes on with Seat for me. So got called back by Seat UK and told them about the dealer cancelling. They looked into it and the dealer is supposed to follow a standard process and not bail like this. Seat UK said to dealer:

Can you please assist with the customer mentioned above.

Customer was booked in for the 06/09/21 to have his vehicle diagnosed as requested by SEAT UK.

Customer received a call to cancel this booking as we are awaiting an SOS software update.

As your aware the vehicle needs to be diagnosed just in case there is any other issues and a Technical DISS report logged to Technical for further support.

We have seen instances where customers have had SOS issues but once diagnosed and with the support of Technical have been rectified.

If Technical come back and advise to await fix then that would be last resort.

Please can you get this vehicle booked back in to do the above.

If you can email me back that would be highly appreciated

To add to matters they contacted the wrong the dealer with the above even though it was Seat UK who set up the appointment on my behalf. Amazing!

This whole saga has put me off a VAG car forever. You just get messed about all the time.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Seat UK is just useless and that is the way how you lose trust on customer site and potential sales in future! Did they care? Probably NO why they would?

It's crazy how customers get treated here in the UK. I had some experience with cars in EU and never felt that way from their experience.

Honestly how hard is it to a knowledge a fault ongoing for a while?

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Our car (FR 150) recently went in to our local dealer to investigate a "Front Assist system unavailable" message and was found to be needing a software update. This was applied. Since then, we have experienced a number of the SOS messages mentioned on this thread (plus some more Front Assist system unavailable messages). The weather has been warm and dry so no question of the front sensor being obscured. We contacted our dealership (who are very helpful) and they have responded that SEAT is working on a software patch for the SOS error and that are car is logged to come back in when this is available.

Mal Hobbs

Sep 17, 2021
Reading about this error issue with loud cracking sound from centre console, same happend to me last weekend, ( 3 times sos appeared on display) error system said there was something wrong with steering. Called out Seat assist and AA man said he found 6 faults but Seat does not give them access to tell client what the errors are. Anyway garage could'nt find any fault codes logged checked everything, they reckoned it was the battery surging? so charged it up and its a case of wait and see if it happens again. Spoke to salesman that sold me the car and he did say if it happens again to speak to Manager and they would look to see if they could sort someting out!

Tell

Staff member
Perhaps SOS is monitoring the fault count so when you get the right blend of faults in a time period it triggers off the SOS. This is where you need to monitor the faults with Obdeleven / VCDS for anybody of a technical persuasion with the issue. Perhaps the AA man cleared them down to get you on your way. Garage didnt find any faults since the AA cleared them down. The manager of the dealership will throw holly water over the car may be 😉.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Had this same issue on Friday but after an hour or so it had resolved itself. Interestingly hard resetting the infotainment made it freeze on loading settings which I had in my mk8 golf and resulted in the whole unit being replaced.

Spoke to my dealership today who said a number of chassis numbers had been recalled but mine wasn't one of them. Agreed to keep an eye and contact them if it reoccurs.

Reactions: Tell

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I chased my SEAT dealer to provide an update on issues in my car a have this reply for SOS issues
I have been liaising with Seat today and unfortunately there is no remedy for the SOS issue at present.
I've noticed this is getting now more often. A recent trip around M25 circa 25 miles and I had it 7x pop up on the screen. Trouble is when this happens online traffic information aren't available afterwards.

Tell

Staff member
I chased my SEAT dealer to provide an update on issues in my car a have this reply for SOS issues

I've noticed this is getting now more often. A recent trip around M25 circa 25 miles and I had it 7x pop up on the screen. Trouble is when this happens online traffic information aren't available afterwards.
Defeats the object. Have you run a VCDS scan to see whether it's picking up anything which triggers this off. I'm assuming it's sitting there monitoring errors or is the error the SOS system itself :unsure:.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
The unit has been replaced about 2 moths ago. OBD 11 shows
Trouble codes:
U112300 - Databus error value received
Intermittent
Date: 2021-08-06 09:10:23
Mileage: 10190 km
Priority: 6
Malfunction frequency counter: 1
Unlearning counter: 34