Sound stops from Radio

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
hi, I have the standard Grunding Stereo Cassette head unit in the car from new. This morning driving to work, the sound just stopped. There was a little 'pop' then all went quiet. Radio still working (power, screen lit up, I could hear the multichanger swapping discs when I pressed buttons on the head unit), just no sound.
Turned it off, left it for 10 mins & when tried again it was OK. A minute later 'pop', sound gone again.
Did the same thing on the way home. Anyone had the same issue/know what it could be? cheers

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
Could be a short circuit on one of the speakers/speaker wiring or a faulty speaker, causing the stereo to go into protection mode and shut down the internal amp.

Or could be the internal amp is knackered, and starting to play up. Both are not uncommon.

In both cases, switching it off resets the amp, hence why it will work again for a bit again.

Rob.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
did you have the volume up loud? I've started having the same problem, but only when I have the music quite high. Was thinking along the lines of battery getting old...

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
cheers folks. volume wasn't high at all. didn't turn it on for 15mins this morning & it managed to last all the way into work! I'll have a look at dinner, see if i can see any wiring problems...

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
OJ 89,

Yours sounds like you have a power supply problem. May well be a bad earth.

Usually get the same problem when people fit stereos into nissans or mazdas, and dont put a seperate earth in.

Stereo uses the aeriel as the earth instead, amp tries to draw more power than the earth can return at the higher volumes and goes into shutdown to protect itself from damage.

Rob.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise