Soundproofing

Armitage SHanks

My missus is enjoying life in her new Altea XL although she has mentioned the engine noise to me on a couple of occasions. It isn't such a problem that it is really anything of an issue but I was wondering if there were any easy-to-implement measures that I could take to quieten things down for her a little.

The car is a manual 1.9TDi Stylance.

I've read the posts about sourcing an engine cover and retrofitting it but those who have done it don't seem to be shouting from the rooftops about how effective it has been at soundproofing, rather they have been more pleased with the aesthetic benefits it has brought.

Like I say, this isn't a huge deal for me but if there are a few tweaks I can make here and there, or a few bits I can install in strategic places to insulate the sound and make a discernible difference, I'd be interested in investigating them.

Cheers

bjnash

SOundproofing Info

See
soundproofing.org for the information you need on soundproofing a car hood. Click on "Vehicles" in the yellow box.

Altea Ego

I will let you know AS. I have just found an Engine cover on ebay. I also have the foam skirt that fits round/under it.

Armitage SHanks

I will let you know AS. I have just found an Engine cover on ebay. I also have the foam skirt that fits round/under it.

I'd be grateful to know the outcome. Better still would be to get the outcome before and after with a dB meter doing the same speed down the same stretch of road - don't suppose you have access to one, do you?

Altea Ego

Err No. I could get a DB meter, but I am not going to do a full scientific test. :blink:

You will have to make do with subjective opinion. [B)]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members