Space Saver Wheel

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell

Are Seat motor parts not the forum sponsor?
That is where I got part number from for the kit and the pictures I took a snip off?(see attached)
I have also contacted them direct so just waiting for a reply as when you select Cupra Ateca there is no spare wheel option unless you click Seat Ateca.
They are indeed.... I'm just covering my back 😂.

The variable floor one was this which doesn't appear to be the board sponsor hence my words

Yes so you'd selected the sponsor 👍.

Ask them whether they have the matching Ekta diagram and post up. I'm thinking once you have done yours I can write a resource for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarlW300

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
They are indeed.... I'm just covering my back 😂.

The variable floor one was this which doesn't appear to be the board sponsor hence my words

Yes so you'd selected the sponsor 👍.

Ask them whether they have the matching Ekta diagram and post up. I'm thinking once you have done yours I can write a resource for both.
Hi Tell

I will let you know once they reply and will ask them for the Ekta diagram you mentioned.
I'm sure the 4WD non sound kit is the correct one I require and it looks like its just a case of drop it in and the new floor they supply fits on top so no need to do any DIY modifications to fit the floor.

Thanks again for your help.

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell

I will let you know once they reply and will ask them for the Ekta diagram you mentioned.
I'm sure the 4WD non sound kit is the correct one I require and it looks like its just a case of drop it in and the new floor they supply fits on top so no need to do any DIY modifications to fit the floor.

Thanks again for your help.
I think you will find you are putting in some bolts in pre drilled holes I reckon.

Tracking that overall part number found a conversation. Apart from the brake thing which Little John talked about and you were fine it doesn't add much to what we have covered.

This text where you swap the wheels around:

"They don’t fit with Brembo brakes, but if you have them and get a flat on the front, just put a rear alloy on the front and spare on the rear."

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Hi Tell

Seat motor parts got back to me and the spare wheel for my Cupra is different compared to the Seat Ateca 4WD non sound which we thought was the correct one. (Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20)

Below is the parts list I require. The actual wheel and some of the tools are the the same but the jack and foam inserts have different part numbers?
The cost is also almost double as well!:unsure:

Below is a list of the parts they provided. ( I have attached the parts with the kit (Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20) for comparison.

Space saver Seat Motor Parts.PNG

Attachments

• Space saver ZGBBOM235SE.PNG
    Space saver ZGBBOM235SE.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell

Seat motor parts got back to me and the spare wheel for my Cupra is different compared to the Seat Ateca 4WD non sound which we thought was the correct one. (Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20)

Below is the parts list I require. The actual wheel and some of the tools are the the same but the jack and foam inserts have different part numbers?
The cost is also almost double as well!:unsure:

Below is a list of the parts they provided. ( I have attached the parts with the kit (Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20) for comparison.

View attachment 35102
Make sure you get your board discount if it isn't factored in. I'm sure you have looked.

Perhaps there are specific Cupra jacks or something. I'll look later to see whether I can see what the difference is. If the jack is different the moulding may be different to get it to fit. Probably supply / demand. Get a fancy Cupra jack.

It is good to know you got the spare. I drove back from Luxembourg on mine once in the Altea. Think a British pothole had done it. Big bulge in the front tyre. Weekend everything had closed so I got a recovery service to swap it on. No chance of getting a repair. Ferry to Dover Sunday. 50mph all the way back... might have gone a bit faster.

Relying on you on how to do it.👍

Tell

Staff member
I've found another spares catalogue - Russian - diagrams. Handy to see where the codes fit in with the diagram.

Right filler

Screenshot_20230110-224742.png

Filler piece left in this one (also covers the variable floor one)

You can get lost in these parts catalogues. Based on the first one.... I can't see anybolts for supporting brackets. Perhaps it does just sit there in the 4Drive configuration.

You need to make sure you got the boot base as shown in Little John's first picture and all the rest in his second picture to fit yours.

That's the wheel bolt to the floor.

Parts catalogues with diagrams are always fun.

Will follow with interest.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Hi Tell

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I'm not sure why one spare wheel kit is £357 and the one they quoted me is £659 minus club discount for both items especially when the actual spare wheel and most of the parts are the same?
The jack is different and the foam inserts and possibly the floor so I don't know why the price is so much more expensive?
For the cost I could buy three premium tires.
I don't mind spending around £300 but £600 for almost the same parts?
How much more expensive can a Cupra jack and foam inserts be?
Would be interesting to see if the Seat 4WD no sound fitted?
I did ask them to supply the kit part number and asked if the above would fit but they have not replied!

I have just found the below spare wheel kit and this says it is for the Cupra 4WD no sound and no brembo brakes so this should fit my car and the price is £345.31 which is more like it.

Part number SKU: ZGBBOM242SE

https://seatdirectparts.co.uk/parts...eca/cupra-ateca-2017-present-spare-wheel-kit/

I will enquire and supply my reg for confirmation.

Last edited:

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
That sounds more like it. The jack in the other one was nothing special I tracked that part number to polos etc so it wasn't a special up grade for the weight of the car.
Hi Tell

Thanks for looking into it again for me.
Seat parts direct got back to me today to confirm that their kit is the correct spare wheel for my car.
Strange how the other kit was almost twice the price and the and the jack is linked to VW polos.
Would be interesting to see the individual part numbers to compare the difference between the two kits?
Both are from Seat main dealers as well?

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell

Thanks for looking into it again for me.
Seat parts direct got back to me today to confirm that their kit is the correct spare wheel for my car.
Strange how the other kit was almost twice the price and the and the jack is linked to VW polos.
Would be interesting to see the individual part numbers to compare the difference between the two kits?
Both are from Seat main dealers as well?
You are going to gives us pictures and details of how to fit it right ?.

It could be the volumes they sell. I did wonder whether they might have duplicate parts in that other one, pulling by a code that brought a set of parts, then adding them again to the quote as individual parts.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
You are going to gives us pictures and details of how to fit it right ?.

It could be the volumes they sell. I did wonder whether they might have duplicate parts in that other one, pulling by a code that brought a set of parts, then adding them again to the quote as individual parts.
Hi Tell

Yeah I will post pictures of the kit before and after fitting.

Seems a lot for something to hide away in the boot but I like the security of having a spare.

Tell

Staff member
That's happened to me in the Ateca. Pumped up and got to the tyre place (Protyres) that kindly repaired it for free since they had fitted them, nail jet washed up from the drive we think, block paving 🤔. A damaged wall is a different matter that I had with the Altea, the curse of British potholes I reckon, where the spare went on.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
That's happened to me in the Ateca. Pumped up and got to the tyre place (Protyres) that kindly repaired it for free since they had fitted them, nail jet washed up from the drive we think, block paving 🤔. A damaged wall is a different matter that I had with the Altea, the curse of British potholes I reckon, where the spare went on.
That's why a pump in the boot is an essential item IMO.

adi8v

Dec 2, 2022
Thanks for all the info everyone. Picked up a 21 plate Cupra Ateca in December and have been looking in to getting a spare whee kit. My previous car (Audi A5) had the space saver and I never needed it in 8 years but would like to have the spare as the car is used for longer family trips and don’t want to rely on the repair gunk or breakdown recovery.

Tell

Staff member
That's why a pump in the boot is an essential item IMO.
I got a Ring RAC635 Preset Digital Tyre Inflator (or similar) which sits nicely on the left hand side front recess and one of those Halford gauges with a memory for front and back to save taking it off the door all the time. The gauge is more accurate than the pump auto stop. Over inflate and let down.

Reactions: Seastormer

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Good evening all

I have just found another Seat dealer with the spare wheel kit ZGBBOM242SE which is correct for my car.

The price of £320 so much better than the original £600 quote of a certain Seat parts stockist.

https://www.caffynscarparts.com/cupra-ateca-spare-wheel-kit--wo-seat-sound-5465-p.asp

I also have a digital tyre inflator in the boot incase I pick up a slow puncture.

Still feel a spare is required especially on long trips and just incase the tyre is beyond repair for the supplied repair kit.

If you do get a puncture and use the supplied repair kit is this a temporary or permanent fix?
If temporary can the tyre be repaired correctly like a standard puncture repair?

Attachments

• Caffyns ZGBBOM242SE.PNG
    Caffyns ZGBBOM242SE.PNG
    121.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Caffyns ZGBBOM242SE (1).PNG
    Caffyns ZGBBOM242SE (1).PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 71

Tell

Staff member
My understanding is once you release the gunge into your tyre with the repair kit that's it, the tyre isn't repairable. Confirmed by this Which video, you new a new tyre and repair kit.

On puncture repairs there is guidance about where the puncture is in relation to the wheel.

A tyre can only be repaired if it is a small puncture (less than 6mm in diameter) in the central ¾ of the tyre, anywhere else is deemed unsafe as it is too close to the sidewall.

No side wall damage etc.

Except for the bulging side wall damage all my other punctures have been repairable over the years give or take one. Had new tyres once. Volcanic rock abroad, by a volcano, brought that piece home for the mantel piece. Not a pretty sight. Abnormal conditions. I try not to go off road you always get a puncture and regret it afterwards.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
My understanding is once you release the gunge into your tyre with the repair kit that's it, the tyre isn't repairable. Confirmed by this Which video, you new a new tyre and repair kit.

On puncture repairs there is guidance about where the puncture is in relation to the wheel.

A tyre can only be repaired if it is a small puncture (less than 6mm in diameter) in the central ¾ of the tyre, anywhere else is deemed unsafe as it is too close to the sidewall.

No side wall damage etc.

Except for the bulging side wall damage all my other punctures have been repairable over the years give or take one. Had new tyres once. Volcanic rock abroad, by a volcano, brought that piece home for the mantel piece. Not a pretty sight. Abnormal conditions. I try not to go off road you always get a puncture and regret it afterwards.
After watching the video I think a spare is essential.
You might use it you might not but its peace of mind.
Obviously you loose a bit of boot depth and you are carrying around extra weight which might not be required!

If you have a newish tyre and get a small easy to repair puncture by using the the repair kit it then makes the tyre unrepairable so you still need to buy a new tyre and the sealant kit?

If you need recovering due to a blow out you are at the mercy of buying the only tyre potentially available at the time so it might not be matching or over expensive!
At least with the space save you can carry on and get the punctured tyre repaired or you have time to find the new tyre you want.

I emailed the place with the space saver for £320 (ZGBBOM242SE) so once they confirm the kit is correct for my car I will look at getting it ordered.
Will update with pictures etc once the kit is fitted so Tell can use the information to create a guide as he mentioned earlier in the thread.

The space saver kit is now on order.(y)

Last edited:

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
After watching the video I think a spare is essential.
You might use it you might not but its peace of mind.
Obviously you loose a bit of boot depth and you are carrying around extra weight which might not be required!

If you have a newish tyre and get a small easy to repair puncture by using the the repair kit it then makes the tyre unrepairable so you still need to buy a new tyre and the sealant kit?

If you need recovering due to a blow out you are at the mercy of buying the only tyre potentially available at the time so it might not be matching or over expensive!
At least with the space save you can carry on and get the punctured tyre repaired or you have time to find the new tyre you want.

I emailed the place with the space saver for £320 (ZGBBOM242SE) so once they confirm the kit is correct for my car I will look at getting it ordered.
Will update with pictures etc once the kit is fitted so Tell can use the information to create a guide as he mentioned earlier in the thread.

The space saver kit is now on order.(y)

I have a 2017 2.0 TDI 190 4Drive. It came with just a thin piece of carpet and a round piece of foam in the boot when I bought it.

I ordered a spare wheel kit from the same place as you, Caffyns, for £340. The part number for the kit I ordered is ZGBBOM235SE.

It will arrive in a few separate boxes. You get a space saver wheel, jack/tools, foam surrounds and a new boot floor. There is absolutely no modifications required to fit it, just goes straight in and fits perfectly.

You lose a bit of boot height, but I prefer this as you have a flatter load area with the rear seats down.

Mine has already saved my bacon when I recently got a puncture.

IMG_20221118_151520966.jpg