Spare Wheel removal

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
hello everyone

Just thinking has anyone removed there spare wheel and put a can of tyre weld in,:think:

to drop some weight ;)

And if so what did you use to cover the hole a sheet of mdf ??

Thanks

Mark

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
I'd be ripping the back seats out before I touched the spare wheel. I'd much rather one passenger and a way home than 4 stuck with a flat lol

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Tyre weld doesn't work if the hole is in the sidewall, if its more than half an inch wide, if the temperature is below about 10degrees.

I have tried tyre weld on three occasions now, and been unsuccessful each time.

You'd also need 2 cans for an 18" wheel, still need a jack, and need a compressor to blow the tyre up (in really warm weather the can will do it, but thats all)

Not worth the saving IMO

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I had the tyre weld can, a compressor, and suchlike in the car when I bought it. I had a space saver spare wheel bought within a week, and a full size matching alloy within 3 months. Tyre weld is crap, buggers the tyre if you use it, has a 3 year shelf life before you need to buy another, and (as pointed out) it usually doesn't work anyway.

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
One of my mates bought a car as a daily hack, after a week gets a flat tyre and being no good with tools calls out the RAC. Guy arrives, and gets to work, cue car jacked up in the air with deflated wheel off the car, spare wheel about to go on and it doesn't fit. Apparently the wheel was from a PSA group car and trying to fit it onto a Vauxhall. He had to get towed to the nearest tyre place. Apparently happens quite often

kevh

Leon Cupra 1.8T 03
Jan 1, 2010
Hampshire
hello everyone

Just thinking has anyone removed there spare wheel and put a can of tyre weld in,:think:

to drop some weight ;)

And if so what did you use to cover the hole a sheet of mdf ??

Thanks

Mark

just how much weight would you remove by the time you keep the jack add a pump add mdf to cover the hole. is it relly worth it:shrug:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Just a thought - Your talking about a miniscule amount of weight and then replacing it with MDF. At the same time without the wheel the black box with the jack etc wont stay up properly plus your then moving the weight distribution more to the front.

Nef

Looking Rather Dappa
Mar 30, 2009
Cambridge
i took my spare wheel out as iv got different sized wheels to the spare, but i did replace it with 2 cans of tyre weld and a compressor.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
i took my spare wheel out as iv got different sized wheels to the spare

So do I, 17" wheels with 15" spare (how it comes from factory) but the RR is the same, if you have gone that different with your wheels then speedo etc will be out etc.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.