Spare wheel

allan@ur

Looking for a spare wheel for the leon. It has 18inch wheels on it so not sure which size spare I need?

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Pretty sure the Leon Space saver (from the factory) is 18". They do a 16" one as well, but that might be floating in the air if you stuck it on the back of the car and went around a roundabout. Space savers tend to be a little less tall than standard wheels + tyres but not by much. Goes in the space under the boot floor. Mine has 17" wheels and I assume the space saver in mine is an 18" one.

If you want a 100% perfect full size 18" replacement then a 7.5J x 18 with offset of 51 and a tyre which is the same size as the tyres that are on your car already will do just fine, but that certainly will NOT fit under the false floor in the boot (roof rack? :) ). Full size is a little better if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere (The Highlands maybe), as you can drive normally. On a space saver it's a slow, short distance emergency experience. Had to do 25 miles on one a couple of years ago across A and B roads in Sussex, and that was painful enough.

Mk1Cortina1964

Mk1 Cortina 0-60 19.0secs
Feb 20, 2014
North Suffolk
The 16" space-saver is £95 in a new car in lieu of the tyre repair kit, so to buy it after the initial sale would no doubt be a little more, but it gives you an idea.

Thursday

The Seat Parts man!
Mar 21, 2014
Yorkshire
Sadly, the 18" space saver spare wheel as an accessory part is £290.35. Thats the wheel and tyre only, plus around £60 or so for the tool kit - jack, wheel brace, etc etc.

Much better to just order the spare wheel option when you order the car.

allan@ur

Does the leon share the same bolt pattern with audi and vw? may give me more options for sourcing a better priced spare

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Yes. You need a 5-bolt 112mm PCD pattern. 57.1mm spigot (centre bore).

Golf Mk5,6,7. Audi A3 Mk2,3. Leon Mk2,3. Skoda Octavia Mk2. All the same hub pattern.

Try a salvage yard. There must be plenty of Golf, A3, Leon and Octavia write-offs with unused spare wheels and jacks.

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I bought my spare from ebay.

Got a second hand 18" space saver from a Mk5 Golf which is the same space saver needed for the Leon.
The tyre is a few years old but never been used and came with all the toolkit as well and I paid £90 + delivery for it :)

Only part I had to buy separately was the threaded plastic securing bolt which are around £6-£10.

I was quoted the same from the stealers and just laughed when the guy told me :lol:

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
Perth, - still in the UK :-)
Picked up my new FR 184 on 18" Performance Alloys, build week 11 2014.

Space saver option cost £95.00 - Wheel/Jack etc.

16" steel wheel supplied with Hankook S300 tyre T125/70R16 96M

Steel wheel has markings 4160068 B0053 (whatever that means!)

DSCF2202_zps6c4e60db.jpg

DSCF2203_zps62115f9d.jpg

DSCF2204_zpse672447f.jpg

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Not sure if this makes a difference but I opted for the Seat Sound Pack and mine was delivered with an 18" Spare (also build week 11). Possibly needs the bigger spare wheel for the Seat Sound bits to sit in?

That said, there seems to be plenty of clearance for the brake calliper in the front wheel so it looks like either the 16" or 18" spares should work for most cars.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
And I've got 18" wheels with an 18" spare but no SEAT Sound...

Just been experimenting with the online configurator to see what it allows with certain trim/wheel combos:

15" steel wheels (base spec only) can only have the 16" spare
16" or 17" on any model can have either size spare
18" or 19" can only have the 18" spare

Checked on both SC and ST. It also seems that you must have the 18" spare in order to have SEAT Sound.

Both sizes have 125/70 profile tyres, so your tyre is 2 inches smaller in diameter than it should be if you're using the 16" instead of 18" spare. Doesn't sound ideal to me... although I suppose the 70mm tyre on an 18" spare wheel would make the overall diameter 60mm larger than the Performance wheels anyway... :confused:

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
I am having an on going query with Seat on this issue.
I have 2 queries
a.) How can my 16" temporary spare be OK if it is fitted with the same profile tyre as an 18" temporary tyre.

b.) can I use 16" winter tyres ( I have some part used Michelin Alpin 205/55/16 which I would like to use and would buy new 16" wheels for winter use.)

So far I have channelled my enquiries via my dealer.

The first telephone response I got from the service dept. was that Seat do not recommend fitting 16" rims on to 180/184 Leons.

My emailed response was:-
In the handbook page 228 it states:

"Only use winter tyres of the correct type approved for your vehicle. The sizes
of the winter tyres approved for your vehicle are listed in the vehicle documentation
(e.g. EC Certificate of Conformity or COC document 1)). The vehicle
documentation varies depending on the country of residence. See also
⇒ page 226."

handbook Page 226 states
"Replacing wheels and tyres
It is important to use the correct wheels and tyres when replacement
is necessary.
– All four wheels must be fitted with tyres of the same type, size
(rolling circumference) and preferably the same tread pattern.
– Tyres should be replaced at least in pairs and not individually
(i.e. both front tyres or both rear tyres together).
– Do not use tyres whose effective size exceeds the dimensions
of the factory-approved makes of tyre.
– If you wish to fit the vehicle with rims or tyres that are different
to those installed in manufacture, it is advisable to consult a
SEAT Official Service before purchasing them.
The tyres and wheel rims are an essential part of the vehicle's design. The
tyres and rims approved by SEAT are specially matched to the characteristics
of the vehicle and make a major contribution to good roadholding and
safe handling ⇒ .
The sizes of the rims and tyres approved for your vehicle are listed in the
vehicle documentation (e.g. EC Certificate of Conformity or COC document1)).
The vehicle documentation varies depending on the country of residence."

And I asked the following questions:

1.) Where does one have sight of this EC Certificate of Conformity??
2.) If I do buy and fit 16" rims for my 16" Michelin winter tyres will I be voiding my insurance cover if the vehicle does not comply with the manufacturer's certificate??
3.) This raises MAJOR concern over the 16" space saver wheel that has been supplied with my vehicle.
This has a 125/70/R16 tyre fitted.
in the handbook:-
"Do not forget the spare wheel when checking the tyre pressures: Keep the
spare wheel inflated to the highest pressure required for the road wheels.
In the case of a minimised temporary spare wheel (125/70 R16 or 125/70
R18) inflate to a pressure of 4.2 bar as indicated on the tyre pressure label
on the fuel tank flap."
This suggests that although the car has been supplied with a 16" spare wheel, the tyre size is standard, without any change in the size of tyre fitted to take account of the wheels fitted by the factory.

If fitting 16" winter wheels/tyres is in breach of certificate of conformity, is SEAT breaching it's own certificate by supplying a 16" wheel?? Possible insurance risk??

The emailed reply that I received today was:

Seat do not recommend 16” winter tyres due to the possibility of snow and ice build up behind the wheel which can then interfere with brake caliper clearance.

They do not have any issues with a space saver wheel as it is only recommended for a maximum of 50 miles.

The Certificate of Conformity can be obtained on line at a cost of approximately £125.00.

I hope this helps clarify the wheel and tyre issue for you.

Kind Regards

I have replied:

Ok I can understand about the winter wheels. I will find some 17" winters next November .

However, I do not understand how the rolling circumference of a 125/70 R16 can be the same as a 125/70/R18, if they had different tyre profiles for the 16 as opposed to the 18 it might make sense, but they don't??

I also find it strange that the handbook points the reader to reference a document (the European COC ) which the reader would need to spend £125.00 in order to read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I may contact Seat Customer Services as I believe this is not a totally satisfactory way to provide information.

I will update this thread when progress is made!!

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
And I've got 18" wheels with an 18" spare but no SEAT Sound...

Just been experimenting with the online configurator to see what it allows with certain trim/wheel combos:

15" steel wheels (base spec only) can only have the 16" spare
16" or 17" on any model can have either size spare
18" or 19" can only have the 18" spare

Checked on both SC and ST. It also seems that you must have the 18" spare in order to have SEAT Sound.

Both sizes have 125/70 profile tyres, so your tyre is 2 inches smaller in diameter than it should be if you're using the 16" instead of 18" spare. Doesn't sound ideal to me... although I suppose the 70mm tyre on an 18" spare wheel would make the overall diameter 60mm larger than the Performance wheels anyway... :confused:

The '70' part of the tyre spec is not mm; It is the height of the tyre sidewall as a percentage of the width. Also known as the aspect ratio. i.e. a 125/70 has a sidewall height of 125mm* 0.70 = 87.5mm
a 225/40 tyre has a sidewall height of 225mm *0.4 = 90mm
my 205/55 winter tyres will have a sidewall height of 205mm*0.55 = 113 mm.

What this means is that my leon on 18" rims with 225/40 tyres has a tyre diameter of
457mm (rim) + 2* 90mm sidewalls = 637mm. (25.08")

On 16" winter tyres (205/55) I will have a tyre diameter of
406.4mm (rim) + 2* 113 mm sidewalls = 632mm. (24.9") (more or less the same as summer wheels)

Whereas my poor old 16" space saver will be
406.4mm (rim) + 2*87.5mm sidewalls = 581.4mm (22.9")
I do not like the implications of this!!

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
Whoops... I suppose it'd be far too logical to use a common system of measurement to describe a single object :doh:

Says the engineer...

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
a 16 inch space saver seems a little strange, ive got the 18s on mine and the space save I have is 18 inch also

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
See earlier posts for full history on this.

I have, after a wait of 20 DAYS received an emailed response from Seat UK Customer services;

"Dear Mr xx

I am writing to you with regards to your ongoing enquiry with SEAT UK Customer Services. Please accept my apologies for the delay in coming back to you.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the 16 inch space saver spare wheel in your vehicle. Our Technical Department have
confirmed that we feel this to be perfectly safe as a temporary option and would not consider changing this for the 18 inch
option.

The only approved wheel and tyre combinations for your vehicle are the type fitted and a smaller 17 inch wheel:

7.5Jx17 ET 51, with tyre size, speed and load rating of 225/45 R17 91 W

I hope that you find the above information of use. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I must confess that the 20 day delay and nature of this reply have left me somewhat underwhelmed by Seat Customer Relations! :(

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
a 16 inch space saver seems a little strange, ive got the 18s on mine and the space save I have is 18 inch also

Not at all. The rolling circumference of the tyre is the same irrespective of whether you have 16,17 or 18 inch wheels. As long as the wheel does not foul on the brake caliper it will be OK.

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
Not at all. The rolling circumference of the tyre is the same irrespective of whether you have 16,17 or 18 inch wheels. As long as the wheel does not foul on the brake caliper it will be OK.

My car was supplied with 18" performance alloys as requested,
however the 'space-saver' spare is a 16" wheel fitted with a 125/70 R16
tyre. I was told that this was a result of 'supply difficulties' at the
time of manufacture, ( week 11).

The '70' part of the tyre spec is the height of the tyre sidewall as a percentage of the width. Also known as the aspect ratio. i.e. a 125/70 has a sidewall height of 125mm* 0.70 = 87.5mm

my 225/40 tyres have a sidewall height of 225mm *0.4 = 90mm

What this means is that my leon on 18" rims with 225/40 tyres has a tyre diameter of
457mm (rim) + 2* 90mm sidewalls = 637mm. (25.08") Circumference 2000mm

Whereas my poor old 16" space saver will have diameter of
406.4mm (rim) + 2*87.5mm sidewalls = 581.4mm (22.9") Circumference 1824mm

Difference = 8.8% difference
Im not happy, especially when I know that 18" space savers are normally supplied for this model.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
No different to models fitted with 225/45R17 tyres, almost the same rolling circumference as the 225/40R18 tyre (or the 205/55R16 tyre).

FFS, it's an emergency spare. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members