SPEC clutches

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Now that my Audi can produce over 425lb of torque my Kevlar clutch is starting to slip so i am looking around for a strong clutch. Helix and Sachs can both make me a sintered clutch which can hold about 480lb torque but they are 4 puck clutches with a SMF which i am abit concerned about driving in town traffic with a puck clutch as i have heard they are very much an on/off type of clutch, i will get rattle through the gearbox as it is has a SMF plus the price comes to just over £1,100 just for the clutch and flywheel ! Spec do a clutch range that apparently fits my car.
Volkswagen - GTI Mk V
Application Flywheels Aluminum Pressure Plate
Year Span Engine Includes Steel Aluminum None Option None
2006 2007 2.0L 02Q
Pricing: $ $ $
Choose Your Application Here
Performance Kits
Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 2+ Stage 3 Stage 3+ Stage 4 Stage 5 None
Product Number: SV501 SV502 SV503H SV503 SV503F SV504 SV505
Torque Capacity:
Pricing: $739 $859 $899 $859 $1089 $859 $1089
Choose Here
Comments:
These kits are for use with the OE dual mass flywheel only. Scroll for additonal option that eliminates self-adjusting clutch and single mass lightweight flywheel.

Volkswagen - GTI Mk V
Application Flywheels Aluminum Pressure Plate
Year Span Engine Includes Steel Aluminum None Option None
2006 2007 2.0l 02Q SV87S SV87A
Pricing: $419 $549 $
Choose Your Application Here
Performance Kits
Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 2+ Stage 3 Stage 3+ Stage 4 Stage 5 None
Product Number: SV871-2 SV872-2 SV873H-2 SV873-2 SV873F-2 SV874-2 SV875-2
Torque Capacity: 325 385 430 450 590 450 650
Pricing: $529 $619 $659 $619 $799 $619 $739
Choose Here
Comments:
This kit replaces the OE SAC clutch and dual mass flywheel with a single mass performance flywheel and non-SAC clutch kit. The package includes all hardware needed for install.

The Spec stage three clutch is rated at 590lb torque which should be good enough for a while and at £840 for the stage three which works with a DMF delivered seems alot cheaper option or stage three with SMF is £950. Now i don`t want to get into a SMF verses DMF discussion just what people would advise what path i should take and why. I really like the sound of the Spec unit but when i phoned AMD before they went bust/bought out they basically refused to sell me one as they told me that they had had nothing but problems with them and had poor backup from Spec. If anyone can offer any alternatives to above named clutches i am open to offers. :)

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
From what I can tell, SPECs clutches don't yet do a fitment to fit the European 1.9 TDI engines. The sizes they mention don't tally up with our clutches, I believe.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
That did make me chuckle... what is the max figure you're aiming for Mike!?

T

There is no max figure. The Audi is my everday work car not some dyno queen or tuning company demo car that spends most of the time in the workshop getting fix. As long as the car stays realiable and drivable then i will keep pushing for more.

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Out of ignorance, what is the difference between a DMF and SMF?

T

Dual mass flywheels are hevier because they have springs and dampers that help refinement by kinda "smoothing out" the clutch/gearshift action.. in the 1.9tdi engines the DMF can be a common point of failure for tuned cars, because lots of torque at low revs can make them vibrate and eventually rip them apart... (dont know if this is still the case on the 2.0ltdi ones)

A single mass flywheel doesnt have this problem, but you tend to get "clutch chatter" when not in gear, and it can be a bit less refined when engaging the clutch.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
There is no max figure. The Audi is my everday work car not some dyno queen or tuning company demo car that spends most of the time in the workshop getting fix. As long as the car stays realiable and drivable then i will keep pushing for more.

lol, yours does'nt spend much time in the workshop getting fixed????

not what you've posted here...

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Are you still running the std DMF on the audi?
DMF at the moment as i don`t really want to go down the SMF route unless i have to.

lol, yours does'nt spend much time in the workshop getting fixed????

not what you've posted here...
The only thing that has needed to get fixed since i have started to modify the Audi was when a turbo manifold gasket blew just before christmas, The car spent five weeks getting fixed when i got hit the first time and it has just took five weeks again to get the front fixed due to parts on back order. Other then that the rest of the time the car has been in a workshop is when Allards have been working on it to fit/adjust stuff.

im570rm

I have a spec clutch stage 3 with dualmass flywheel which haves about 9kg(instead of 15kg OEM) on my ASV currently doing 209hp/470 Nm ,I bought it directly from thier website...i have it for like 50k km no problems so far.
I know a guy who had similiar configuration but on cupra tdi with single massflywheel ,single it's much better and much lighter then dual(3kg) however the noize it makes it's very high and i think he sold it.Dual flywheels doesn't make any noise,it's better for road use.If you want to use your car on track only ofcourse single flywheel would be better.Also as i've been told the mpg will go up with single flywheel.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Decided i am going to buy the Helix clutch. The main reasons i decided for the Helix clutch is i wanted my clutch to have no fitment issues and good backup if anything goes wrong. I don`t want to be emailing people and waiting weeks for parts to turn up if something brakes or doesn`t work properly.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I'm currently in mid-email with a chap at SPEC regarding a stage 3+. It seems they do supply the 240mm clutch in the 1.9 PD (ASZ)

Anyone fancy a kevlar clutch and mated dual mass flywheel for their 6 speed PD130? :D 35k only and run in properly.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Decided i am going to buy the Helix clutch. The main reasons i decided for the Helix clutch is i wanted my clutch to have no fitment issues and good backup if anything goes wrong. I don`t want to be emailing people and waiting weeks for parts to turn up if something brakes or doesn`t work properly.
totally agree:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.