Speed Camera Alerts For Ibiza FR 2018 INSTRUCTIONS

thirl88

Jan 22, 2018
IMPORTING POIs AS SPEED CAMERAS FOR SEAT IBIZA FR 2018

Elsewhere on this forum I previously asked if Speed Camera info can be added to the Ibiza FR 2018 satnav. At that time I had not yet bought my new Ibiza but was given links by various forum members to info about this subject. However, all info was for other Seat cars or even other VW cars. Also a lot of the info was in German.

I now have my 2018 FR and I have now successfully added speed camera warnings to the 8” satnav unit. I have written a very long explanation below which may help others to do the same. After doing this the cameras show up on the satnav map and a sound goes off when you approach a camera.

Note: A lot of these instructions are copied from other forums with extras added by me specifically for my car, an Ibiza 2018 FR.

Be warned. This is not plug and play and I am not an Instructions expert so feel free to correct anything I have written wrong or badly. Note, the following will work with any type of POI but I am only doing instructions for speed cameras here.

1) Download your chosen Speed Camera database file to your PC...

There are several websites that provide databases of speed cameras. Some are free (but may be a bit out of date), others are bang up to date but there may be a charge or subscription. I got my speed cameras data free from POI Plaza but the speed camera database files there are about to be discontinued as they are said to be creating a new way of providing a speed camera database (probably with a subscription). The files I downloaded are already “out of date” but I do not need up-to-the-minute camera info. After all, most cameras don’t change for years on end.

There are several types of speed camera databases available but I chose only to include fixed cameras as others (such as average speed cameras) are more likely to be temporary - at roadworks for instance). I chose to create a .csv file and a .kml file. I only needed one of these to create POIs, either will do for the next step of the import procedure but kml files can also be loaded into Google Earth. The csv files are in Excel spreadsheet format but they can be read (and edited) in any text program. I also got myself a suitable icon file (of a speed camera) that will be shown on the satnav map.

So, you should now have your chosen Speed Camera database and an icon file somewhere on your PC.

The following procedure will work with any type of POI database - not just speed cameras.

2) Create a POI archive using the tool on the VW website, currently at... rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Apparently this webpage has a tendency to move about! It is suggested that the following search will always find it on Google...

"Hier können Sie Ihre eigenen POI-Listen-Sammlungen für das Discover Pro und Discover Media zusammenstellen."

On this German language webpage do the following...

2a) Click the orange button labelled “Neue POI-Sammlung”

2b) Browse to the CSV or KML file you downloaded in Step 1.

2c) Tick the box labelled “Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren”. This triggers a sound sound when you approach a POI (in our case a speed camera). You probably only want this ticked for speed camera files unless you really want to get a sound every time you approach a MacDonald’s!

2d) Give the POI database a name (no spaces). “SpeedCameras” seems like a good one. This is the category that will appear on the satnav unit.

2e) Browse for the icon/image file you downloaded in Step 1.

2f) Click the button labelled “Jetzt Laden” to confirm all your choices so far.

Next you will see a list of all POI databases you have created (in my case just the one). More can be added by clicking the white button (bottom left). Otherwise click “POI-Sammlung Sichern”.

2g) Enter the name that the archive containing your POIs will be saved as (this name is not important it’s just what the zip file you download will be saved as). Confirm “Weiter” to save the archive as a zip file.

3) Locate the zip file that you just downloaded and unpack it on your PC...

3a) Open the folder called "PersonalPOI"

Important: I have changed the following paragraph from that which is seen on other websites which are not specifically written for an Ibiza FR. It is very important to follow step 3b as written if you have an Ibiza FR 2018 with the 8” screen. Other cars, other models, other units may need different files from the zip archive...

3b) Inside the folder will be 3 more folders, called "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" and MIB2TSD".
These relate to the 3 different satnav unit models currently available in the VW group’s new cars. The Seat Ibiza FR unit is a “Mib2 Standard” so we need to open the folder called "MIB2STD".

3c) Inside the folder you will see another "PersonalPOI" folder and a file called "metainfo2.txt". Both of these need to be copied to a BLANK SD card. No other files must be present on the card.

Note. This has to be an SD Card and it has to go into the car’s SD slot, not the USB. The whole thing failed for me when I tried to use an SD card in a USB adapter.

4) Insert the SD card into the free slot in the car. This is probably in the glove compartment. Do not remove the Navigation SD card which will be in the other slot (this contains your maps and other satnav data and needs to be left in place at all times). The SD card which you have created can be removed once the POIs are installed, leaving you with a free SD slot for music etc. The unit will briefly display “reading SD card” (or similar). If this goes on for more than just a few seconds there is a problem (somewhere) with the data. If it is successful in reading the card you briefly get a message (which I can’t remember exactly) that let’s you know the card was read successfully. Now you need to actually install the POI data as follows...

4a) Press the Navigation (flag) button.
4b) Select Settings
4c) Select Manage Memory
4d) Select Update my POIs
4e) Select Update
4f) Select Next - to import the Personal POIs.

You should get some sort of confirmation message. [Or an error message]!

4g) Select OK to confirm the import.

The stored POIs should now be in the Points Of Interest section of the satnav.

Points Of Interest are stored in the navigation data in different categories. Several categories are pre-programmed (such as Petrol Stations, Car Parks etc) and each point of interest category is assigned a symbol (icon) for display on the map. You can choose which categories to display on the map. Up to 10 categories can be selected at any one time - of course we need one of them to be our Speed Cameras.

In Navigation - Settings - Map, select “Show POIs” (or similar).
Select... “Select categories for POI”.

When a database of points of interest has been imported into the system manually (as above) a category with the name you gave to your database will be displayed in the categories list. In my case “SpeedCameras” appeared at the bottom of the list.

Also, tick “Show brand logos for POIs”. This makes your chosen icon appear on the map.

In the Navigation - Settings Menu select “Navigation Announcements”.
Enable the option which turns on your chosen audible sound which will go off when approaching a Speed Camera.

On the main navigation screen (the actual map screen) select View and then select POI to have POIs displayed on the map (or not).

I successfully did all the above and the camera icons worked on the map. I then had to drive to a speed camera. Believe it or not, my huge city (Sunderland) only has about 5 in total! On approaching the first camera my chosen sound went off to alert me. It was it this point I was glad I’d chosen something unlike any other sound the Ibiza makes. Don’t just pick a “ping” sound. I then went around the block but found the POI alert did not sound when I passed the same camera. I wonder if this is a “feature” of the unit to prevent the same POI “dinging” again and again. I drove to a second and third camera and the warning went off. I went back past the first one (now in the wrong direction) and I WAS alerted even though the camera was not meant for my direction. When the alert sound goes off it fades your music but I do not know if you’d hear it if a TP was being broadcast at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuM and mopsi

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
The alternative would be to obey the law and drive to the speed limits, which are put in place to improve safety :)

thirl88

Jan 22, 2018
> The alternative would be to obey the law and drive to the speed limits, which are put in place to improve safety

My instructions have nothing to do with breaking the law! If the the members of this forum would be kind enough to let me know if they see my instructions to be encouraging drivers to break the law I'll happily delete the OP. I am merely giving instructions on how to make the current unit replicate what the Navigon/Garmin did in both of my previous Ibiza's by default. Speed Camera warnings are legal and have been with us for over a quarter of century. It is a big shame that Seat decided not to include them this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: mopsi

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
> The alternative would be to obey the law and drive to the speed limits, which are put in place to improve safety

My instructions have nothing to do with breaking the law! If the the members of this forum would be kind enough to let me know if they see my instructions to be encouraging drivers to break the law I'll happily delete the OP. I am merely giving instructions on how to make the current unit replicate what the Navigon/Garmin did in both of my previous Ibiza's by default. Speed Camera warnings are legal and have been with us for over a quarter of century. It is a big shame that Seat decided not to include them this time around.

Couldn't agree more. A major issue nowadays is the plethora of limits and difficulty in finding out what the limit actually is on some roads. Having been caught out for the first time in almost 50 years recently, this was raised by almost everyone on the speed awareness course which I attended.

The latest Fiesta incidentally has a system which identifies the limit using a combination of a camera and satnav info, a clever idea if it works.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014

Absolutely.

Though the naysayer above is obviously immune, it's unfortunately very easy for distractions to occur in a car, especially when driving the family. It is also commonplace to travel on roads you've not done before. A warning system that notifies you of changes to the limit is a must. On this side of the country many stretches of A road have been reduced to 50 and there are lots of 20 zones too. It's just not as simple (30/60/70) as it used to be.

And it has saved me a fortune in SWMBO's speeding fines.

Last edited:

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
IMPORTING POIs AS SPEED CAMERAS FOR SEAT IBIZA FR 2018

Elsewhere on this forum I previously asked if Speed Camera info can be added to the Ibiza FR 2018 satnav. At that time I had not yet bought my new Ibiza but was given links by various forum members to info about this subject. However, all info was for other Seat cars or even other VW cars. Also a lot of the info was in German.

I now have my 2018 FR and I have now successfully added speed camera warnings to the 8” satnav unit. I have written a very long explanation below which may help others to do the same. After doing this the cameras show up on the satnav map and a sound goes off when you approach a camera.

Note: A lot of these instructions are copied from other forums with extras added by me specifically for my car, an Ibiza 2018 FR.

Be warned. This is not plug and play and I am not an Instructions expert so feel free to correct anything I have written wrong or badly. Note, the following will work with any type of POI but I am only doing instructions for speed cameras here.

1) Download your chosen Speed Camera database file to your PC...

There are several websites that provide databases of speed cameras. Some are free (but may be a bit out of date), others are bang up to date but there may be a charge or subscription. I got my speed cameras data free from POI Plaza but the speed camera database files there are about to be discontinued as they are said to be creating a new way of providing a speed camera database (probably with a subscription). The files I downloaded are already “out of date” but I do not need up-to-the-minute camera info. After all, most cameras don’t change for years on end.

There are several types of speed camera databases available but I chose only to include fixed cameras as others (such as average speed cameras) are more likely to be temporary - at roadworks for instance). I chose to create a .csv file and a .kml file. I only needed one of these to create POIs, either will do for the next step of the import procedure but kml files can also be loaded into Google Earth. The csv files are in Excel spreadsheet format but they can be read (and edited) in any text program. I also got myself a suitable icon file (of a speed camera) that will be shown on the satnav map.

So, you should now have your chosen Speed Camera database and an icon file somewhere on your PC.

The following procedure will work with any type of POI database - not just speed cameras.

2) Create a POI archive using the tool on the VW website, currently at... rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Apparently this webpage has a tendency to move about! It is suggested that the following search will always find it on Google...

"Hier können Sie Ihre eigenen POI-Listen-Sammlungen für das Discover Pro und Discover Media zusammenstellen."

On this German language webpage do the following...

2a) Click the orange button labelled “Neue POI-Sammlung”

2b) Browse to the CSV or KML file you downloaded in Step 1.

2c) Tick the box labelled “Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren”. This triggers a sound sound when you approach a POI (in our case a speed camera). You probably only want this ticked for speed camera files unless you really want to get a sound every time you approach a MacDonald’s!

2d) Give the POI database a name (no spaces). “SpeedCameras” seems like a good one. This is the category that will appear on the satnav unit.

2e) Browse for the icon/image file you downloaded in Step 1.

2f) Click the button labelled “Jetzt Laden” to confirm all your choices so far.

Next you will see a list of all POI databases you have created (in my case just the one). More can be added by clicking the white button (bottom left). Otherwise click “POI-Sammlung Sichern”.

2g) Enter the name that the archive containing your POIs will be saved as (this name is not important it’s just what the zip file you download will be saved as). Confirm “Weiter” to save the archive as a zip file.

3) Locate the zip file that you just downloaded and unpack it on your PC...

3a) Open the folder called "PersonalPOI"

Important: I have changed the following paragraph from that which is seen on other websites which are not specifically written for an Ibiza FR. It is very important to follow step 3b as written if you have an Ibiza FR 2018 with the 8” screen. Other cars, other models, other units may need different files from the zip archive...

3b) Inside the folder will be 3 more folders, called "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" and MIB2TSD".
These relate to the 3 different satnav unit models currently available in the VW group’s new cars. The Seat Ibiza FR unit is a “Mib2 Standard” so we need to open the folder called "MIB2STD".

3c) Inside the folder you will see another "PersonalPOI" folder and a file called "metainfo2.txt". Both of these need to be copied to a BLANK SD card. No other files must be present on the card.

Note. This has to be an SD Card and it has to go into the car’s SD slot, not the USB. The whole thing failed for me when I tried to use an SD card in a USB adapter.

4) Insert the SD card into the free slot in the car. This is probably in the glove compartment. Do not remove the Navigation SD card which will be in the other slot (this contains your maps and other satnav data and needs to be left in place at all times). The SD card which you have created can be removed once the POIs are installed, leaving you with a free SD slot for music etc. The unit will briefly display “reading SD card” (or similar). If this goes on for more than just a few seconds there is a problem (somewhere) with the data. If it is successful in reading the card you briefly get a message (which I can’t remember exactly) that let’s you know the card was read successfully. Now you need to actually install the POI data as follows...

4a) Press the Navigation (flag) button.
4b) Select Settings
4c) Select Manage Memory
4d) Select Update my POIs
4e) Select Update
4f) Select Next - to import the Personal POIs.

You should get some sort of confirmation message. [Or an error message]!

4g) Select OK to confirm the import.

The stored POIs should now be in the Points Of Interest section of the satnav.

Points Of Interest are stored in the navigation data in different categories. Several categories are pre-programmed (such as Petrol Stations, Car Parks etc) and each point of interest category is assigned a symbol (icon) for display on the map. You can choose which categories to display on the map. Up to 10 categories can be selected at any one time - of course we need one of them to be our Speed Cameras.

In Navigation - Settings - Map, select “Show POIs” (or similar).
Select... “Select categories for POI”.

When a database of points of interest has been imported into the system manually (as above) a category with the name you gave to your database will be displayed in the categories list. In my case “SpeedCameras” appeared at the bottom of the list.

Also, tick “Show brand logos for POIs”. This makes your chosen icon appear on the map.

In the Navigation - Settings Menu select “Navigation Announcements”.
Enable the option which turns on your chosen audible sound which will go off when approaching a Speed Camera.

On the main navigation screen (the actual map screen) select View and then select POI to have POIs displayed on the map (or not).

I successfully did all the above and the camera icons worked on the map. I then had to drive to a speed camera. Believe it or not, my huge city (Sunderland) only has about 5 in total! On approaching the first camera my chosen sound went off to alert me. It was it this point I was glad I’d chosen something unlike any other sound the Ibiza makes. Don’t just pick a “ping” sound. I then went around the block but found the POI alert did not sound when I passed the same camera. I wonder if this is a “feature” of the unit to prevent the same POI “dinging” again and again. I drove to a second and third camera and the warning went off. I went back past the first one (now in the wrong direction) and I WAS alerted even though the camera was not meant for my direction. When the alert sound goes off it fades your music but I do not know if you’d hear it if a TP was being broadcast at the same time.
Thanks, very useful!

thirl88

Jan 22, 2018
> Is this only for a 2018 Ibiza - would it work for a 2016 car like mine ?

You'd have to find out if your unit is a "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" or MIB2TSD" but I don't know how you find this out. It "probably" is the right unit because searching on Google for such units gives results as far back as 2013 - albeit for Audi and VW cars rather than Seat. Also, a search for "seat ibiza 2016 mib2" brings up a ton of results (and images) so you can probably work it out from there whether they match your unit. Some of the older units may have different settings menus/items so you may have to adapt the instructions.

I've found that the camera POIs work very well on the satnav's map but for some reason the POI alert sound does not always go off. On the other hand it will sometimes go off for cameras on completely different roads such as when you travel along an adjacent parallel street. It will also sound the alert for cameras on the wrong side of the road.

Reactions: John Young

John Young

Sep 15, 2018
I see the web page URL that I gave in the OP that accesses the app that created the SD card folders has gone AWOL again. I
think VW have rewritten it and/or moved it into a site that needs you to register. Google search takes you here http://www2.volkswagen-carnet.com/lu/de/start/. Make sure to use the dropdown to change the language rather than doing what i did at first, trying to translate the bloody thing via Google Translate!!

Thank you I will look at that

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
There's not much point using this now that Waze is available on both Carplay and Android Auto.

EVOII

Aug 21, 2018
I use flitsmeister. It's a camera alert app in the Netherlands. Also working in the UK.

Barrington2k

Jan 26, 2019
TomTom Go for Android is free to try but £14.99 per year, sometimes cheaper and is fairly accurate on road speeds and camera alerts
I use my seat system for navigation and the Tomtom app solely for camera alerts

Will worth the price and it updates regularly
Id highly recommend it rather then all the messing about with the SEAT system

And for the record I don't speed. I just like reminders to keep me on my toes. Don't want to get caught out and potentially end up with points on my license or a fine

Reactions: John Young
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise