Speedo errors.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Me again.The speedo digital read out has gone a bit funny.The mpg reads 40.8 or 40.9 even though Ive been drivin steady and the next screen reads something like 296 miles.Whats that about.The mile per gallon display is my main concern.Why is it reading only 40.9 etc...when I am driving steady although it was ok a couple of weeks back when I last looked at it?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, don't think that you will ever get the quoted manufacturers figures on a regular basis! Maybe now and again on a downhill motorway stretch but the overall average is likely to be in the low 40s.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
On my Cupra i had cruise control set on 65 mph and my mpg was on 41 then dropped to low 20's in an instant , but nothing cahnged , road was straight , cruise control was still on , then starting rising back up again , really strange settled at about 38 mpg.
when i flicked to the instant reading it was around the 39 mpg mark so confused the hell out of me.

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Me again.The speedo digital read out has gone a bit funny.The mpg reads 40.8 or 40.9 even though Ive been drivin steady and the next screen reads something like 296 miles.Whats that about.The mile per gallon display is my main concern.Why is it reading only 40.9 etc...when I am driving steady although it was ok a couple of weeks back when I last looked at it?

Are you sure you haven't clicked it onto setting 2 rather that setting 1?
Setting 1 is the trip MPG which clears after around 2 hours, whereas setting 2 is the permanent one which is remembered until you reset it?

You toggle between the two with the button on the underside of the stalk :)

On my Cupra i had cruise control set on 65 mph and my mpg was on 41 then dropped to low 20's in an instant , but nothing cahnged , road was straight , cruise control was still on , then starting rising back up again , really strange settled at about 38 mpg.
when i flicked to the instant reading it was around the 39 mpg mark so confused the hell out of me.
I read this with interest as my new FR TFSI is averaging around 29-30mpg. Is it likely to improve once run-in a bit? I would have thought the Cupra would be even thirstier given its higher power etc?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
The MPH and the miles appear to be all over the place - have given up with mine. Using two GPS systems my MPH is reading + 5 through out the speed range, which in turn will throw out your MPG.
Doing tank to tank I seem to get 560 miles but in reality it is nearer 460 MILES. And this is using std rims and tyres. ..............................................

uuf361

Jun 29, 2008
In my experience, all speedos (regardless of manufacturer) read wrong, I tend to use the GPs (when on) as a more accurate measure but know I have between 3 and 5mph out most of the time, although last weekend on the autobahn, 135mph on the speedo came out as 128mph ish (I only glanced at it) on the speedo.

My FR TDi get 44-45mpg all the time, over 12.5K miles.........even a 'Ring trip (including 8 laps of the 'Ring) avergaed 44.4 last weekend :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise