Speedo on Mk5 is terrible

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Got a mk5 as a courtesy car at the moment while my car is in.

Got to say not mega impressed, does'nt feel a step up from the mk4 more a sideways step. Seems to be lots of cheapened parts such as the washer jets, the remote controls stolen from Ford, Button layout seems really silly, why hide the heated screen button down near the gearknob especially if not a timed switch. Oh and the room on the 5dr is awful, i struggle at 6ft 3 getting in and out due tot he pillar being so far forward.

However the turn-in seems a lot more direct than a mk4 and very nice handling and love the rally car revlimiter in first gear, felt like anti lag....lol.

But,

And this is a huge but that may have cost me 3 points, the speedo is terrible. My eyes are good and i have no problem reading thing normally but i made the fatal mistake of misreading the 60 marker for 50, everyone i have asked this weekend has agread it looks like 50 and due to it being so low on the clock ( 140 speedo on a 3 cylinder come on) i misread it as 50 and sailed on through a front facing camera at 60 ( which i though was 50) in a 50 limit, Luckily i was about 56-57 on the speedo as i always go throught his particular one lower than the limit, and checking the GPS the car seems about 2mph over on what i tactually is.

So very dissapointed, in this day and age when speedo watching is more and more important SEAT should stop the fancy italic writing and make an easy to read speedo. So now i have to wait to see if i get a ticket and the irony is its in the slowest car i have ever driven.:(:(

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
The heated rear windscreen is a timed switch, (im sure it is, unless mine's just faulty and turns off after a while) though i agree it is a strange place to put it, i've often locked my doors by mistake and it's hard to see if you've activated it as the gear stick's in the way a lot of the time.

Now you mention it, the front washer jets on mine seem woefully underpowered, they can only just hit halfway up the windscreen (anyone know how to remedy this?)

As for the speedo, mine (1.6tdi) goes up in 20's with 10/30/50/70 in between and un-numbered ?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
The heated rear windscreen is a timed switch, (im sure it is, unless mine's just faulty and turns off after a while) though i agree it is a strange place to put it, i've often locked my doors by mistake and it's hard to see if you've activated it as the gear stick's in the way a lot of the time.

Now you mention it, the front washer jets on mine seem woefully underpowered, they can only just hit halfway up the windscreen (anyone know how to remedy this?)

As for the speedo, mine (1.6tdi) goes up in 20's with 10/30/50/70 in between and un-numbered ?

ahh right, the one i have is 20 - 40 -60 -80.

must differ in each car, this is a 3 cylinder, i assume 1.2 jobby.

WozzaM

Sep 16, 2009
Malta
Jets are powerful. Just get them to aim where you want them to hit. Mine were washing the roof instead of the windsreen when I first got it.

As for the speedo, I only use the digital one and not the clock. Much easier to read. (On the on board computer right in the middle of the dash)

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Jets are powerful. Just get them to aim where you want them to hit. Mine were washing the roof instead of the windsreen when I first got it.

As for the speedo, I only use the digital one and not the clock. Much easier to read. (On the on board computer right in the middle of the dash)

I think the UK digital speedo is in KM/h which is no use.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
surely thats vagcom-able? so that the euorpean's get km/h on the main speedo and mph on the digital one?

talking of speedos and trip computer, what's the use of the mph setting that is generally ---mph, does it just flash when you go over a preset speed as a warning or is there a more interesting use for it?

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
it just flashes and bings i think, quite usefull if you are going through camera hotspots but otherwise a pointless tool

jnbeachbum

surely thats vagcom-able? so that the euorpean's get km/h on the main speedo and mph on the digital one?

talking of speedos and trip computer, what's the use of the mph setting that is generally ---mph, does it just flash when you go over a preset speed as a warning or is there a more interesting use for it?

It makes a beeping noise when you go over the preset speed also. Useful for the average speed cameras, though often find myself wishing i'd opted for cruise control when i drive through them - spend more time staring at the speedo than at the road!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland

Not sure, when the mk5's first came out a few people asked if it could be changed to mph but I think the conclusion was that it couldn't be done.

The europeans get km/h on both speedo's. and the reason the digital one is not mph on the uk speedos, is because km/h markings are not on the main speedo and it's a legal requirement to have km/h markings. Where as its not a requirement in rest of europe to have mph markings.

Having said that, it may well be possible to change it in vag-com. But I'm not sure.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
iirc you change to the ---mph then press and hold the button on the bottom of the stalk til the --- flashes then use the rocker switch to increase/decrease the speed. press the button under the stalk again to set.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I think the interior is a nice place to be in my car, do think the stereo controls are a bit cumbersome but i love the steering wheel so wouldnt want that cluttered up any more than it is. Rest of the stalks etc are the same as the MK4 anyhow.

Chassis wise its almost identical to the MK4, turn in is probably better due to the fact they have adopted the latter subframe style (as has the Fabia2 and the latter 9N Polo) which has ditched the console bush arangement.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Apparently the fabia 2 is the old subframe. The cupra and polo use the new one. If you look at the specs the wheel base etc is different.

Does the Boc have Kmh and MPH on the speedo dial?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
The controls are spot on with the mk5!. I love the mk5. Never had the problem with the numbers on the speedo either, never even thought about it !

Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Apparently the fabia 2 is the old subframe. The cupra and polo use the new one. If you look at the specs the wheel base etc is different.

Does the Boc have Kmh and MPH on the speedo dial?

Fabia 2 has changed over along with the 9N Polo from '9' chassis onwards.

Boca has MPH speedo, KPH is displayed in digital where the mileage would be whilst moving a'la VW.

041120091672.jpg

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^The 60 does look like 50 doesn't it, you would get used to it pretty quick I would have thought.

Digital KPH would piss me off no end :(

Fuel gauge looks interesting.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
:confused:
Fuel gauge looks interesting.

from the loaner cars ive had, the fuel guage is the most irritating part of it. Its not exactly very precise (probaly cause im so used to the MK4) i find it hard to judge fuel levels. Having said that i do like the radio and the climate control screens

I've had 3 different specs a 1.2 5 door, a 1.4 attitude SC (a 1.4 sport with all the flashy body kits etc) and a ecomotive 5 door. I thought the sport was a good (if a bit slow) and the eco was terrible

SCSideOn.jpg
thats the attitude

Im booking myself into a test drive asap for the new cupra to see what thats like

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
On briskoda they seemt to think the current mk2 Fabia is based on the old fabia chassis not the new one. Thats where I got my infomation from.

I'm used to using the normal speedo so wont even use the kmph. I always keep the setting on current mpg.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise