Spring snapped

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
On my way home heard a massive bang like a tyre blowing but when i stopped and checked everything looked normal, except one side of the car was lower than the other.

Anyway long story short drivers front spring has snapped big time, what do i do next?

Do I just rplace to front springs for OEM or get a set of lowering springs?

How much are standard springs or should i just get lowering springs?

Luke

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
same happened to me , i rod round like it for months , then fitted weitecs last week

upto you really , i took the call as if ones gone , theyve all done the same age / millage whens the next one going , so opted for a full kit

you could look at ebay / for sale section for just a spring , but all depends on the state of your shocks

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
its done a 116k so im surprised it lasted this long.

just had a quick look and can get some eibachs from awesome for 143quid plus P+P.dont want coilovers as probs wont have car much longer but i got a feeling lowering springs are going to be cheaper than OEM

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
£148 for OEM from eurocarparts for set off four, ive asked for a price of Sere motors on here see what he says.

If go OEM what would people do just replace front 2 and deal with the rears as and when?

asilum

china metal

i had my rear rhs spring changed a couple of weeks ago and the guy told me 1 in every 5 cars coming in has a snapped spring and said the metal is from china and not so good

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
but then he works in a garage, so 5 in 5 cars are going to have something wrong with them.

Strictly speaking you shouldn't run OEM shocks with lowered springs, as they are not designed for that and so won't in theory work properly. Thats not to say they wont work mind.

I'd just go for a direct replacement. I doubt spring for spring lowering springs will be cheaper.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
i had my rear rhs spring changed a couple of weeks ago and the guy told me 1 in every 5 cars coming in has a snapped spring and said the metal is from china and not so good

see just another reason why the bloody government should step in and save Corus on Teesside!![:@][:@][:@][:@]

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Strictly speaking you shouldn't run OEM shocks with lowered springs, as they are not designed for that and so won't in theory work properly. Thats not to say they wont work mind.

Up to -40mm is fine done this so many times over the years with no bad effects, running it now :)

S17EW O

ive got a broken drivers side rear too. am keeping my car, its done 50k but am abit strapped for cash. was gonna just get say 25mm drop springs but if i could get a really good deal on some coiulovers id probs go for that. but then i aint got a clue what brand to go with either way. whats your advice guys?

STIGGY MINT

Seems to be a really common thing... my rear drivers side spring on my LCR has snapped too :cry: (Hence my ad in the wanted section lol)

Been quoted £77+vat, so about £90 for a 1 new OE spring (from TPS), so same situation do i buy that or go for full set of lowering springs for £75 - £140...

Although not really sure i want to lower it, seems low enough already and dont want to ruin ride!

Can anyone suggest any springs that only lower small amount ie 10-15mm, and don't affect ride too much?

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Had my driver side front snap last year. I paid about £180 to have both front springs replaced with direct replacements.

I can't imagine how horrible it would be to drive round here with it lowered.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.