spring stops

kevinmac87

Hi,

Planing a bit of a road trip in the summer with 3 other adults and a full load of luggage in the lcr. Going on and off ferrys with pretty steep ramps, any suggestions to help the car from bottoming. I know you get rubber coils that go in the springs for when towing caravans etc anyone tried anything like that b4?

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Hi,

Planing a bit of a road trip in the summer with 3 other adults and a full load of luggage in the lcr. Going on and off ferrys with pretty steep ramps, any suggestions to help the car from bottoming. I know you get rubber coils that go in the springs for when towing caravans etc anyone tried anything like that b4?

halfords sell them and they tend not to endorse anything thats likely to cause issues. I'd say its not a bed way to go about it but i wouldnt leave them on for long as it could cause un even wear on the springs. Its probably easier to just pop your splitter off for the crossing :D.

kevinmac87

had a nightmare the last time my splitter came off. was one of my mates had done it with his car and was just wandering ad anyone done it on here

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi there, i use ferries very often and depending on the tide they can be pretty steep, i tend to try and get on the ramp at an angle (can be pretty difficult with the space) i have reversed on before, all i did was i just spoke to the guy at the terminal and it was no big deal.

Also you could always let them know that you might have an issue with a low car they sometimes tweak up the link-span to get it more level. I suppose all this depends on the ferry, i use a local ferry so they are pretty accommodating as long as you let them know before so that have time to make arrangments.

Andy

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I fitted some of these on my old MKII Golf 16v and they were a PITA to fit.
I heated them up in boiling water and applied fairy liquid and then basically spent about an hour juggling the fewking hot slippery bas*ards into position, not something to do in earshot of anybody really.

kevinmac87

Whats the proper name for them, cant seem to find them online

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
You could do with some transit blocks that new cars are delivered with, they are round plastic discs that go on your shock absorbers, be a pain in the ass to put in and out though and you wouldnt want to drive with them in for the whole journey

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.