Springs and Shocks

Dub_Style

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone knows wether Cupra springs and shocks would fit on a 1.6 sx ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
they will fit but the spring rates are different, stiffer springs and shocks, the 1.6 is a lighter engine, so the -15mm difference probably wont be seen due to the engine being lighter and not compressing the stiffer spring enough

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah as said the front will end up sitting higher then what it should do. Best to go for a kit specifically for your car.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Dub_Style

ahhh i see. Damian what would a decent set up for this model be likely to cost? roughly.

Thanks again,

Paul.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham

Dub_Style

As you can probably tell I'm not exactly an expert in this area so I'd be looking more to you for what you would recommend. All im wanting to do is lower the car slightly and make the handling a bit firmer so that there's not as much roll when cornering. Would the cheaper option be suitable ??

Thanks,

Paul.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The Supersports would be more then suitable but if you can I'd say push to the AP or Weitec as they're a much better quality kit.

Damian @ DPM Performance

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
to help with body roll youd be better placed uprating the arbs mate... the supersport is a hard ride i think, weitec is top quality, but for the price of the supersport then you could get arbs aswell for the price of the weitec

for the 1.6 id look at uprating bushes, arbs, strut braces upper and lower first then see if you need to lower it??

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Got to disagree there, LC or LCR then maybe yes but personally on a 1.6 I'd say change the springs and shocks first which will give you an all round improvement and then fine tune the rest.

Damian @ DPM Performance

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
but he may see a marked improvement with the above upgrades without the need to lower, and uprate the suspension..

lowering the suspension too much will alter the wishbone angle and promote worse handling on the stock cars,more strain on ball joints, driveshafts all of which on the stock leons arent designed to handle, stiffening the oem setup via arbs, bushes, braces keeps the oem angle and will reduce body roll in this way.

lowering for looks only yes, but handling wise i think the arb route would be better on the stock car.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Totally understand what your saying but it works both ways really, stiffer bars with non sport stock 1.6 suspension will also not work in harmony.

Damian @ DPM Performance

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yeah i understand damien, but if uprating to say supersport suspension without arb upgrade and wishbone bush upgrades i think would be detrimental to the stock leons handling, yes it will be stiffer, and lower but i cant see much of a handling aspect upgrade with low end suspension without other complimentary upgrades

keeping stock suspension with oem wishbone angle doesnt strain oem components at all and the addition of rear arb and s3 lower and upper braces tightens whats already there.

the rear arb wont hinder oem suspension only tighten it.

but its upto the op, what he ideally wants to achieve, if its more cosmetic then yes uprate oem suspension first, if its more a handling upgrade then id go arbs, bushes, braces... 4 wheel alignment then see how it feels, if still not happy then id then be looking at tyres, wider wheels maybe.

if you see willies handling thread, the last thing willie uprated was his oem shocks and springs, they had 90k mileage on and he was still happy with it, even on track use....

i see what your saying going stiffer than oem, but id only be doing that first if i was going top quality setup, budget setup imho isnt the wa to go over oem.

but again its personal choice, not preaching just my opinion

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise