ST 4drive 300 exhaust

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Pure luck haha...

I had a 280 for 3 years and it worked the whole time.

Last 2 months or so, it hasn't worked in my 300, and I don't have any access to have it turned off, so happy with that!

bunziboy

Jan 17, 2019
The GPF is the gas particulate filter that filters out harmful soot particulates in the exhaust emissions in a petrol engines car. It’s the equivalent of a DPF on a diesel.

I believe the reason for fitting one to the Cupra (and other cars for that matter) is so that it could gain type approval certification under the new, more stringent, WLTP emissions testing. 2019 Model Year cars will have a DPF fitted to be WLTP compliant and production of 2019 vehicles starts in 2018, so its possible a 2018 built car may have a DPF fitted. 2019 MY Cupras also lost MPI dual injection - replaced by direct injection.

As a matter of interest, some mk7.5 VW Golf GTI owners with pre-2019 (non-WLTP) model year cars over on golfgtiforum.co.uk noticed the exhaust tips on their cars didn’t get dirty with soot deposits like previous mk7 GTI’s they’d owned. These ‘clean’ GTI’s had the GPF canister in the exhaust system and fuel delivery was via direct injection rather than MPI dual injection, so It seems that VW started fitting GPF’s prior to 2019 model year cars. Maybe Seat did too?

How can you check if you have MPI dual injection or direct injection?

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
How can you check if you have MPI dual injection or direct injection?
Take a photo of your intake manifold and post it here.
If you have gpf, then you don't have mpi.
I tried attaching a photo of how it looks, but I couldn't...

bunziboy

Jan 17, 2019
Take a photo of your intake manifold and post it here.
If you have gpf, then you don't have mpi.
I tried attaching a photo of how it looks, but I couldn't...

Can you tell from these?

Attachments

• C9D17767-6188-4779-9E88-7B9257D7F0A5.jpeg
    C9D17767-6188-4779-9E88-7B9257D7F0A5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 188
  • 2C5B7939-BC9E-4B2E-93E2-D273E545C23C.jpeg
    2C5B7939-BC9E-4B2E-93E2-D273E545C23C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 180

Per

Dec 19, 2017
I've had my ST300 4drive for a little over a year now (collected March 2018), and the exhaust has never given me any pops or farts. I'm on 12500 miles now. The engine note is quite loud when under load in all modes other than Comfort, but it's not what I'd regard as a nice engine note.

Mind you I didn't get the car for a beefy exhaust note - I am happy with it being discrete and a bit quiet.

For sound I do have my Focus RS with the Mountune exhaust and that is simply delicious to hear

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Can you tell from these?
No I'm afraid not.
Either remove the plastic engine cover and take a photo of the intake manifold, towards the valve cover.
Or just take a photo of the high pressure fuel pump, the big "round" lump that sits to the right of the engine cover (when standing and looking into the engine bay).

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I've had my ST300 4drive for a little over a year now (collected March 2018), and the exhaust has never given me any pops or farts. I'm on 12500 miles now. The engine note is quite loud when under load in all modes other than Comfort, but it's not what I'd regard as a nice engine note.

Mind you I didn't get the car for a beefy exhaust note - I am happy with it being discrete and a bit quiet.

For sound I do have my Focus RS with the Mountune exhaust and that is simply delicious to hear
I assume you have not disabled the sound actuator in any way?
In that case the "engine note" you are mentioning are fake :)

I took mine to a trackday yesterday for the first time and can confirm some slight dsg farts on upshifts when it is really hot.

bunziboy

Jan 17, 2019
No I'm afraid not.
Either remove the plastic engine cover and take a photo of the intake manifold, towards the valve cover.
Or just take a photo of the high pressure fuel pump, the big "round" lump that sits to the right of the engine cover (when standing and looking into the engine bay).
Cheers

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Does the R ST have a GPF ?

I thought it didn’t, and Seat can get away with it because it’s only a limited number of cars.
I’d be surprised if it didn’t. The car is apparently only a limited edition in the UK. Same as the Carbon was only a limited edition in the UK.

As the Golf R estate has had its exhaust system developed to be WLTP compliant. They’ll of just lifted and shifted it all all across.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’d be surprised if it didn’t. The car is apparently only a limited edition in the UK. Same as the Carbon was only a limited edition in the UK.

As the Golf R estate has had its exhaust system developed to be WLTP compliant. They’ll of just lifted and shifted it all all across.

I thought I’d read somewhere it didn’t have it, and the workaround was to make it a ‘limited edition’. Maybe I’ve confused it with something else.

Still I don’t get why the specs for the Cupra R ST are 0-62mph in 4.9sec and 164g/km (same as the pre GPF cars) and the regular Cupra ST which does have a GPF is 5.2sec and 161g/km.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I thought I’d read somewhere it didn’t have it, and the workaround was to make it a ‘limited edition’. Maybe I’ve confused it with something else.

Still I don’t get why the specs for the Cupra R ST are 0-62mph in 4.9sec and 164g/km (same as the pre GPF cars) and the regular Cupra ST which does have a GPF is 5.2sec and 161g/km.
Someone on here suggested it maybe possible, if it was in limited numbers, but I’ve not read that anywhere officially.

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
OKAY SO UPDATE TIME!

Just to recap:
  • late 18' Cupra ST300 4Drive with GPF + DSG7
  • pops and bangs ONLY when engine is hot and I am basically pushing it to the limit (even then it's not loud)
  • I am a COMPLETE car modification novice, and basically know very little. I'm one of those people that would just say "can you make this louder? Yes? Ok I'll come back when you are done, here are the keys and take my money".
So as I write this, my car has now hit 11000km. In six months that's insane but now I can fully say it is 'run-in'. A LOT of forum members have told me to 'wait' and 'let it settle', that it will get louder as it does more miles. VERDICT? It is still quieter than my neighbour's Volvo diesel SUV. Heck another neighbour of mine drives one of those hideous Outlander PHEVs and the unlock beep sound is louder.

All jokes aside, I have mainly gotten over the sound issue - but I am still a little sad.

HOWEVER THERE IS A LIGHT. A quite expensive light, but still there is a GOD DAMN LIGHT:
I also found this video of a small start-up in Germany who did a stage 2, then stage 3 exhaust tune on this Copper plated Cupra ST 4Drive (unsure if it is a GPF + DSG7 model though).

They're offering a stage 1 (whatever that means, honestly don't know) for 350EUR, which sounds okay....... what do you guys say? Has anyone done anything since the last post? Curious to hear your thoughts.

-antero-

Sep 22, 2017
Estonia
This looks interesting. I am also looking for a better exhaust solution. One way to go is fitting Golf R ST cat-back. Had a chance this weekend to listen one Cupra with it and it sounded amazing.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Great find :)

Stage 2 that is 350 EUR, so the same as in the video. Stage 1 is 250 EUR. If it's for GPF equipped cars it is on my to do list, maybe should e-mail them. :)

-antero-

Sep 22, 2017
Estonia
Maybe we can make the inside of the original cat like the Golf R ST is? Simply just cut it in half and do the modifications and weld it back together again :D

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
This looks interesting. I am also looking for a better exhaust solution. One way to go is fitting Golf R ST cat-back. Had a chance this weekend to listen one Cupra with it and it sounded amazing.

Yes I saw that someone did it on here, and it looks good! But the real issue is having to find a donor exhaust system which to me sounds problematic.

Great find :)

Stage 2 that is 350 EUR, so the same as in the video. Stage 1 is 250 EUR. If it's for GPF equipped cars it is on my to do list, maybe should e-mail them. :)

Ahh yes my apologies, it is 250EUR for a stage 1 tune. Interestingly according to their website you could send your exhaust to them, let them do their wicked magic, and they’ll send it back to you. Germany is only 8 hours away, might just consider the road trip

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Yes I saw that someone did it on here, and it looks good! But the real issue is having to find a donor exhaust system which to me sounds problematic.

Ahh yes my apologies, it is 250EUR for a stage 1 tune. Interestingly according to their website you could send your exhaust to them, let them do their wicked magic, and they’ll send it back to you. Germany is only 8 hours away, might just consider the road trip

No worries :) If you view the title of the video you posted it says "Cupra 300 ST OPF Stage 2 / 3" meaning it IS the car with GPF. I also checked the comments on Youtube and the company say they don't remove the GPF so they probably just modify it.

Reactions: h-a-r-r-y

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I think I got lucky with my Cupra R ST as it probably sounds more like the ‘Stage 2’ sounds on that video clip linked to above.

I know it’s got 4 exhausts compared to the regular ST’s 2, but I thought it was just aesthetics tbh and offered nothing functional.
I don’t know if any other changes were done to the system.

Anyway on a Facebook Cupra group I see that bloke with a 2019 GPF ST is at Milltek this week whilst they install/test a new exhaust system with the GPF removed.
Waiting eagerly for the results.
*edit* it’s a “Full Turbo-back exhaust system with GPF delete downpipe”

It’s obviously a warranty/mot loss though having that done.

Last edited:

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
I think I got lucky with my Cupra R ST as it probably sounds more like the ‘Stage 2’ sounds on that video clip linked to above.

I know it’s got 4 exhausts compared to the regular ST’s 2, but I thought it was just aesthetics tbh and offered nothing functional.
I don’t know if any other changes were done to the system.

Anyway on a Facebook Cupra group I see that bloke with a 2019 GPF ST is at Milltek this week whilst they install/test a new exhaust system with the GPF removed.
Waiting eagerly for the results.

It’s obviously a warranty/mot loss though having that done.

keep us updated with how it turns out! Although I am not sure I'd go through with removing the GPF though.

The real test would be to find out how much of a difference stage one vs stage two would make on the exhaust note. If stage two is close to the R ST maybe that's something I'd consider, because I am a little worried that I might wake up my neighbours :cartman: