Start stop error message

Leonmb

Dec 29, 2013
I was driving along today and it came up with a error stop start system message, this is the second time this has happened! Has anyone had this message before and knows what could cause it?

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Could be that the engine hasn't ran long enough, you have air con on, you have a lot of electricals on (aircon,radio,rear demister, lights etc...)

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
Put your coolant display on the dash. Monitor it. The bar gauge on dash may be displaying cold?

The secondary engine control my have failed. There's buletin at seat for a change to this. And depending on engine there's a know thermostat isue

Porker3

May 17, 2015
I was driving along today and it came up with a error stop start system message, this is the second time this has happened! Has anyone had this message before and knows what could cause it?

I had this Wednesday including loosing the Cupra button and having the engine management light on. I've also for some time had my parking sensors activate on motorways when I'm doing 70 if another car comes close, making me nearly shat myself! Took her into Seat who ran a diagnostics and soft wear updates, stated I had lots of electrical fault codes. They cleared them and all seems fine for now! If it's in warranty then get it in, that's what it's there for.

Andy.s.scfr184

Apr 9, 2015
RE start stop error message

Hi Leonmb
Just got the same warning message as you mentioned here (typical to get it on a bank hol ) .
Just wondering if you got this problem resolved ? did you find out the cause ? and did it require a dealer visit ?.
Mine is a 14 plate scfr 184 technology , on mine the glow plug lamp flashes constantly aswell , ( very irritating ).
any way kind regards and a happy new year to you .
Andy

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
I had this message several times, maybe 4x per year?

Next day no message, it dissapears without any needed service.
Just used to it.

Scooby-do7

Nov 10, 2014
stop start error

I had stop start error and also engine management warning at same time also went into limp mode.
took to seat dealer and they came back with error code stating air intake leek.
they dismantled it up to turbo and found seal near maf sensor was dry/ twisted. they reassembled it and so far everything is ok.
Had full service at 20k done at same time..... £229 to have oil and oil filter and pollen filter changed......that is a rip off no air filter or fuel filter...... thankfully I can now do all servicing myself as it will be out of warrenty next service date.

Andy.s.scfr184

Apr 9, 2015
start stop error

Thanks for the info on that , i seem to have this problem too , it started on new years day , first flashing glow plug light , and the start stop error msg , then next morning on start up eml light and limp mode , was busy with work over the wkend so gonna ring dealer tom morning .
I also bought my 184 last march though mine was an ex demo, at the time i bought it , i also took out the nx 2 services package , Ie, £20 a month for nx 18 months , and your nx 2 service,s are covered , anyway car had 3k miles on it and was serviced on the day i collected it , so at start of Dec ,it now had 12k on it and service reminder came on , so booked it in to west london seat , telling them i want 2nd year service , as it already had its first .
When i was collecting the car and at the service advisers desk getting the paperwork , i noticed they had not changed the fuel filter , so i asked him why not ? and was told the computer tells us wot is needed to be done , computer says no ! ,,lol I said well customer says yes ! and that i had asked for a 2nd year service .
funnily enough on his desk was a mouse mat with the service schedules printed on it , i spun it around and pointed out diesel engines fuel filter at 2nd year and then every 2 year ,, He just trudged off to the parts store to get a filter , and took it in to the workshop , so i got me fuel filter changed .
Make sure you get wot your paying for Seat dealers are jokers !
Kind Regards Andy

Update , i was told mine had a faulty boost pressure sensor , that they replaced under warranty , and ready the next day .
Seems to be quite a common fault .

Last edited:

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Mine has the same issue. My local Seat dealer have said its the PCM module under the bonnet. Its booked in for the 18/1 so ill keep you updated.

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
The secondary engine control my have failed. There's buletin at seat for a change to this. And depending on engine there's a know thermostat isue

Can you elaborate on those issues please? What are the symptoms?

We picked up our new FR (2.0l 150PS) in December. It currently has less than 500 miles on it (mixed country roads and motorway) and has developed an intermittent stop-start problem.

The symptom is that before joining the motorway (we do about 10 motorway miles on the way home), the stop-start works fine, but after any quick runs, we find that the stop start is disabled by the time we reach the motorway exit. The Car display on the stereo displays the 'engine must be running' error message.

We do about another 4 miles on country lanes (40-50mph) before we reach home, so the engine should have cooled down if it was getting hot, but when we park up, the engine cooling fan is running flat out and there is a strong burning smell. The temperature gauge doesn't rise above half way.

We will take it back to the dealer, but they're 20-odd miles away in the opposite direction to work.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can you elaborate on those issues please? What are the symptoms?

We picked up our new FR (2.0l 150PS) in December. It currently has less than 500 miles on it (mixed country roads and motorway) and has developed an intermittent stop-start problem.

The symptom is that before joining the motorway (we do about 10 motorway miles on the way home), the stop-start works fine, but after any quick runs, we find that the stop start is disabled by the time we reach the motorway exit. The Car display on the stereo displays the 'engine must be running' error message.

We do about another 4 miles on country lanes (40-50mph) before we reach home, so the engine should have cooled down if it was getting hot, but when we park up, the engine cooling fan is running flat out and there is a strong burning smell. The temperature gauge doesn't rise above half way.

We will take it back to the dealer, but they're 20-odd miles away in the opposite direction to work.

That sounds like the car is doing a DPF regen when you come to switch it off.
The stop/start will not interrupt an active regen because the ECU has decided it needs to finish it.
I am guessing that the idle was also up around the 1000rpm rather than the normal 800rpm.

Take the car for a good run until it is up to full temperature and then see if the idle is 800
If not - carry on driving some more till at standstill it is 800rpm

I would gess the stop start will be active again.

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
That sounds like the car is doing a DPF regen when you come to switch it off.
The stop/start will not interrupt an active regen because the ECU has decided it needs to finish it.
I am guessing that the idle was also up around the 1000rpm rather than the normal 800rpm.

Take the car for a good run until it is up to full temperature and then see if the idle is 800
If not - carry on driving some more till at standstill it is 800rpm

I would gess the stop start will be active again.

Thanks. It hasn't done it for the last couple of days. I'll check the revs when it does it next. Would probably explain the burning smell too.

hutchy14

Dec 30, 2013
I had this the first week I had my 280 and the engine management light came on. I just switched the engine off and back on and it cleared. Had it booked into the garage but never came back so just left it.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
I had this the first week I had my 280 and the engine management light came on. I just switched the engine off and back on and it cleared. Had it booked into the garage but never came back so just left it.

Sounds like what i had with my EcoTSI i basically did the same turned it back on and it was fine, did get Seat Assist out though as it was Christmas Eve of all days, and less then a week old, i had stalled it twice in quick succession (4th Manual car, never stalled a car so many times in my life???) guy made contact with Factory but there was no known problem, he looked at the codes and then reset everything, seems to be all ok

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Never use START/STOP its the first thing i deactivate everytime i drive the car, cant be bothered with it FULL STOP.

SEAT must have done there homework (Well VW technically) as the Battery is an exp one on this car & meant to have a life of 10years
Did anyone know that?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...teries/halfords-start-stop-agm-battery-agm096

only £119 inc VAT with TRADE CARD... still an exp bugger tho.
Lets hope we never need it eh.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021
RE start stop error message

Hi Leonmb
Just got the same warning message as you mentioned here (typical to get it on a bank hol ) .
Just wondering if you got this problem resolved ? did you find out the cause ? and did it require a dealer visit ?.
Mine is a 14 plate scfr 184 technology , on mine the glow plug lamp flashes constantly aswell , ( very irritating ).
any way kind regards and a happy new year to you .
Andy
Did you ever find out what the issue was. I have a 184 tdi 14 plate and the glow plug light flashes, it’s gone into limp mode and it won’t boost at all. Foot planked to the ground and it won’t even Rev.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.