Starter Motor For A 1.4 Ibiza DAB Special Edition

Gordomc69

Got the car YESTERDAY, starter gone today.

How much would it cost for a new one?

Anyone recommend somewhere in Glasgow to go?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Theyre about £20 from a breakers yard, not sure about new but would guess £100 - £150 ?

What are the problems - is it not turning atall, making a strange noise, turning but not turning the engine over ect?

Gordomc69

Theyre about £20 from a breakers yard, not sure about new but would guess £100 - £150 ?

What are the problems - is it not turning atall, making a strange noise, turning but not turning the engine over ect?

Absolutely nothing.

If you go into the New Members Forum on here, it explains everything.

It is the post entitled "Hello All! My nightmare start to my new Ibiza"

It is completely dead, had it recovered out the 5th level of a Multi Storey Carpark and they bump started it in reverse in their compound and diagnosed the Starter.

Lights come on, wait until they're out and nothing.

D.E.A.D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Could be a wiring problem or it could be that water from deep puddles has got into the starter and rusted the sliders that the brushes fit into. This means that as the brushes wear they are not kept in spring contact with the comutator and the motor becomes open sircuit.

Give the motor a tap with a mallet and if that makes it work for a bit all you need to do is remove/strip/clean/rebuild and refit the motor.

I have fixed many starter motors with this exact fault, your nan could do it.

Gordomc69

It could also be a wiring problem, not the actual starter motor.

Just read your other thread, and left a comment in there about your other problems, but forgot to say welcome!

Well the Company I bought it from can sort it out, as you directed me to, the Sales of Goods Act says as much.

Thank you for the welcome, I can see this forum becoming of great use not just for the present but for the foreseeable future.

Gordomc69

Could be a wiring problem or it could be that water from deep puddles has got into the starter and rusted the sliders that the brushes fit into. This means that as the brushes wear they are not kept in spring contact with the comutator and the motor becomes open sircuit.

Give the motor a tap with a mallet and if that makes it work for a bit all you need to do is remove/strip/clean/rebuild and refit the motor.

I have fixed many starter motors with this exact fault, your nan could do it.

It's not the fact that I could/could not do it, it is the fact I purchased this yesterday.

As far as I am concerned, I have paid for something which does not fit the description that was given to me, it does not bloody work.

And hey, if I get a brand spanking new starter out of it, why the hell not?

Gordomc69

Yeah, sorry I didn't twig that you were after a warrenty repair. If the car came from a garage then they should fix it for free.

Not at all. The initial warranty is held with SEAT but as beezanick pointed out, I've 6months with the car sales shop I bought it from for them to look after it.

Thank you though Nath, I'm such a Car Novice, it's my first car, a beautiful one at that and it is totally gut wrenching.

Especially as I'm out of the Country as of 1.50pm tomorrow :(

Glad to help. I hope you get your problem sorted easily.

So do I mate.

As I said in the other thread, I seriously appreciate your help.

You too Nath.

Gordomc69

Just so as you know, push starting isn't good for the catalytic converter as you can get unburned fuel going through it.

Every day is a school day Nath.

I didn't know that but at the time, desperation was creeping in and I just wanted to hear it at least turn over, I really wanted to hear the Sports Exhaust purr once more :(

If it happens in future, which I'll make damn sure it does not, it'll be straight back to where I bought it from.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Seeing as you will not see this until you return, I hope this is not an A-C car - that outfit are a bit of a strange crowd, I can't say anymore or I might lose my knees! Maybe you should drive a bit further to get a good Seat dealership to sort it out if its a Seat warranty it still has.

One thing that I would add though, in all cases, just tell the service receptionist what the symptoms are and not what you think is wrong, or they might just do as you say if its cheaper and leave you with a problem - it does happen!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members