starter problems

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
I'm having a bitch of a time at the moment with my cordy

i was having starting issues a few months back, i changed the plugs and it was ok. it was then left for a while and started having more issues, not starting for a while but eventually after lots of cranking it would fire and run fine. regular starts were ok but after its left for a few days it just wouldnt bother again. it was left for about a month and then i went back to it and it was starting at all, i eventually drained the battery. charged the battery up this week and got parts on order from ECP..new set of leads, a dizzy cap and a rotor arm. i ordered from a Golf mk3 as there was none under Seat?? assume this was ok?

does this sound similar to anyone else's car?
anyone able to diagnose the problem?
do you think the plugs, abeit only a few months old, have got damp with the car sat for a few months? especially if the dizzy is?
anyone know how much a whole new dizzy costs?
if the starter motor was feckled, would the engine crank?

cheers

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I assume its not a fuel problem!

Similar problems with my Ibiza and a VAG.com check identified speradic faults (open circuit) with both the MAF and air temp sensor on the airbox.

I think I buggerd them when I washed the engine, so I replaced both as a matter of course and its been fine! Before I changed them though after a week the symtoms had started to disappear, so maybe things were drying out!

Check that everythings connected and dry!

DC

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
got the parts from ecp but its too cold and dark now, but hopefully i will have a go tomorrow, never swapped a dizzy cap and contact before so should be fun.

has anyone got any means of diagnosing a faulty dizzy cap? should there be signs of wear or damp?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
jenk's coil went the other week, have a look at his thread and see if sounds like that. I put a few things in another thread about a 2.0 8v not starting, it may be worth a search :)

Do they have camshaft position/TDC sensors?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
not sure, read my haynes earlier and i should have set cylinder 1 correctly when i fit the rotar arm, didnt think it would make much difference though

i had a search but most posts with starting issues either get fixed by plugs or seem to go unanswered. I will have a read at jenks post
cheers Tom

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.