Steering wheel aftermarket wiring for headunit

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
Ok got a multifunction steering wheel off eBay Inc airbag, gonna fit it today but wondered what cable i need to buy in order to make the buttons work on my alpine headunit?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
umm...i have a alpine HU with multi function steeering wheel...had a right pain fitting it...Ill go check at lunch for you...

have a feeling a had to get two or three different connections till i got the right one...

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Nope was just a standard wheel? Is this gonna cost a bit or is the wiring cheap? U think I will need standard seat wiring too?

Well if you just have a standard wheel just now, there is no Seat wiring between the wheel and the head unit.

The bit most people buy is just an adaptor between the seat wiring and the new stereo.

I'd say the Seat wiring will be expensive, if its even possible to do such a thing. I'm not 100% on this but I dont think it will just be wires. There must be some kinda control unit too?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Well if you just have a standard wheel just now, there is no Seat wiring between the wheel and the head unit.

The bit most people buy is just an adaptor between the seat wiring and the new stereo.

I'd say the Seat wiring will be expensive, if its even possible to do such a thing. I'm not 100% on this but I dont think it will just be wires. There must be some kinda control unit too?

very good point...as you didnt already have controls on the steering wheel you will need the OE wires...did the wheel come with them?

ill try find the link for the adaptor....its a generic one, which then plugs into a HU specfic wire...so in your case alpine..

It was ISO not CAN-bus..took me a while to get the right ones

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
as above, the mk4 adapter is ISO...and if your original steering wheel didn't come with controls then you won't have a remote connection on your vehicle's harness.

i believe it can be done with some research but would be painstaking as you'll need to run a new wire from steering wheel through the dash to the radio and connect it on the right pins in the adapters.

i installed the facelift FR steering wheel on VAZY's Leon where i fibreglassed over the buttons as he wouldn't have been able to use em

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.