Stereo fit on 2005 LCR 225?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi all,

Haven't even picked it up yet (roll on tomorrow!) but already thinking as far ahead as swapping out the stereo head unit for something with an iPod connection. Can anyone tell me if the standard unit on the Cupra R 225 is the standard DIN size or will I need a facia and/or cage to use a 3rd party head unit into it? Also, I know the car has 8 speakers, does this limit my choice of head-units at all?

Cheers
8bit

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
ok guys cheers, got an Autoleads facia from my local car bling and ICE shop (Checkpoint on George St. in Aberdeen if anyone's interested). STILL haven't got the car yet as it needed some pads and tyres to pass its' MOT but should get it delivered to work tomorrow. Going to have a crack at transplanting the head unit I bought for my soon-to-be-sold Punto through the week when I get my mitts on the Cupra.

Never installed a car stereo myself (bloused out and got the guy in Halfords to put it in the Punto cos I'd read that they were a nightmare to fit 3rd party stereos into which was correct) but reckon I should manage to extract the head unit and reinstall the original radio/cassette player back into that OK. Found a couple of threads on here regarding the removal of the OEM unit in Cupras. Will have a shot at fitting the stereo myself. Any other gotchas, things to watch out for or other words of wisdom?

Cheers

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Yeah RE the aerial booster - depending on the connections available you may need to buy an in-line signal booster because the stock wiring on the loom for the new HU may not provide power to the Leon's aerial which is boosted by the factory HU.

Instead of a separate booster, I found the 'power aerial' wire (+12V when unit is on to tell motorised aerials to extend) and put it in the right socket in the connector block to feed the Leon aerial boost. A bit of searching on this forum will reveal some wiring diagrams that will help :) My HU is a Sony if that helps

Alex

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Nice to see it worked for you too Alex :)

aurajs11.jpg

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Cheers Lee, I had meant to post back before to confirm that it worked but it slipped my mind! Here's the photo I took at the time (which I meant to post to the original thread):

04012010899.jpg

Note the free leads - furthest left is for in-car telephone, second from left is amp remote turn-on feed. I did in fact buy a booster with the intention of using it, til I realised I'd rather just re-wire the ISO than start splicing wires! Aerial boost feed/power aerial wire is top right on the block.

Alex