Stijn's CUPRA Formentor modification journey

Mar 30, 2022
Hallo en merci! :)

We zijn gevestigd in Mechelen, neem maar eens een kijkje op www.was-co.be

Best wel eens langskomen zodat we de wagen kunnen inspecteren alvorens we een precieze offerte maken. Elke wagen en lak is verschillend, zeker als het om een 'gebruikte' gaat.

Grtz
Heb al paar offertes op zak maar prijzen swingen nogal de pan uit...begrijp wel dat dit geen"gaan er ff snel aan beginnen" job is en dat dit tijd vraagt.
Langs de andere kant gaat de auto er als nieuw uitzien en gaat de kleur(velvet red) nog jaren zen kracht houden.Wat is dan zo'n bedrag op een auto van rond de 40k.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2021
Time to post about the recent work the car got!

• Rear windows (5) tinted in 5% film
  • Front side windows (2) tinted in 50% film
  • Sunbanner in 5% film
  • STEK PPF DynoShade on front and fog lights
  • LUXE Lightwrap on back and reflector lights
  • STEK PPF DynoShield on front bumper - doorseals - doorhandles - b/c pillars - gas lid - gear knob
  • STEK PPF DynoBlack Carbon Matte on side rear mirror caps
Next month, the whole windscreen is getting the new STEK DynoFlex for max protection! 💪

Also fitted my BlackVue 650S-2CH 👍

Tomorrow I'm heading to the dealer to replace the whole touchscreen, and a new update. Hope this will fix all bugs 🤞

Next big post?... New wheels! Should be coming in this week 🥰

View attachment 24880 View attachment 24881 View attachment 24882 View attachment 24883 View attachment 24884 View attachment 24888 View attachment 24885 View attachment 24886 View attachment 24887
Nice job done there mate ! Could you tell me please about the mirror caps ? Was it an easy procedure to take them out or you didn't bother taking the caps off to wrap them ? Do you mind giving a hint about the procedure needed to take the mirror caps off to paint them ?

Feb 1, 2024
Hello hello!
Prepare yourself for a long story 😋

I'm Stijn, pronounced "Stan" for most of you, and live near Mechelen in Belgium.
Working as a professional car detailer for 3 years now, so scouting for a new car was stressful. 😅 Can't help searching for small imperfections on the paint or interiour. 🕵️‍♂️

I had a Volvo V40 2016 R-Design, wich I fully modified as far as I could.

View attachment 24406

After almost 5 years of enjoying the car and big community, it was time to choose a more comfortable ride for the wife 😄 It was hard to go anywhere without checking Google Streetview for parking, quality of roads, and weatherconditions. Not the most relaxing time on roadtrips 😉

So after a dozen other brands and models, I reached the Cupra Formentor, and boy was I sold! 😍 As was my other half, so I let her pick the color 😇
For financial reasons, we got the V1 with DSG in Camouflage Green (in some countries Dark Camo?)

Was surprised with the fast delivery time! A month before the suspected date, I mailed them with a question and a status, and the car was already there!
Because I have the experience with preparing new cars and adding more protection, the dealer only made sure to technically prepare the car.
Full of protection foil, stickers, unwashed, and on a trailer we went home!

View attachment 24408

Ok... so now the problems started. For some, this might not come as a surprise.
To cut this story short: my whole touchscreen is getting replaced under warranty, and probably a few system updates.

The transformation can begin! 👾
Oh wait, I told my wife this car was going to stay 'normal' 🤥
There are a few things I want to be added to my cars, so they stand out from the crowd.

1. Decontamination, polish and coating
As every new car comes from the factory (often overseas) and gets transported by truck, train and boat, they get dirty.
The protection film is only there for lowinger the chance of stonechips and dirty fingers.
The film itself leaves a glue on the paint, and sometimes burns into the paint if the car sits in the sun for too long.
At the car dealer, the car gets wached (often in a carwash) for the first time and they won't look into every detail. It just takes to long. 💰

Therefore, I wanted the car to be untouched and unwashed. When I got the car into the shop I got started on removing all films, gave it a thorough wash, and removed remaining glue.
Modern day cars have orange peel in the paint, so I first got that a bit better on large surfaces. Then a 3 step polish to get every stratch out (and yes a new car has them too) before applying a 3 layer ceramic coating.
Every possible part of the car has been covered, even underside, inside engine bay, rubbers, leather, glass, wheels and callipers,...

View attachment 24410 View attachment 24409

2. Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I never had my previous car(s) protected with this kind of technology, but I should have!
So this was a no-brainer from the start. It's not cheap, but worth it.
The car never left the shop until the front bumper was fully wrapped ready against stonechips.
Other parts where PPF will be installed: doorhandles, B and C pillars, gaslid, mirrorcaps, doorsills, and gloss black parts on the center console.

View attachment 24411

3. Roof box

As we want to use the car for roadtrips across Europe, I wanted to expand the space with a roofbox.
The roofrails from Cupra where not so expensive, but ugly and a rebrand from Thule, So it was not too hard to find a matching Thule set of rails, more airodynamic and better looking.
After some looking online, I got my new Thule Vector M roofbox for 25% off!
Might wrap the grey part in a more matching color 😇

View attachment 24413

4. ECU and DSG tuning

Why get more power and torque? Why not. I had every car tuned, without problems. You get all the benefits without paying extra in roadtaxes.
There are many tuning companies around who do this, for sometimes super cheap prices. But I went to a highly experienced one, speciallized in VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
When you have a automatic transmission, it's recommened to tune it too! Most cheap companies don't, so your DSG is wairing more if your engine wants to deliver more power.

Before: 150HP - 250nm
After: 207HP - 351nm

Bonus adjustment: disable START/STOP (only when I want)

View attachment 24412

5. Wheels and lowering (yet to be installed)

I ordered the car with the standard 18' rims, as I would use them for the winter setup.
Wanted both sets on Michelin tires, but got a good deal on Bridgestone. I don't drive on circuits, won't feel a difference.

Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 245/45R18 XL 100V
Summer: Bridgestone Potenza Sport 235/35R20 92Y

Choosing rims is always difficult. Not many have other wheels and it's always fun to be different.
So, I got the Concaver CVR1 5x112 9x20 ET35 in Carbon Graphite!
Together with lowering springs from JE Design, it will fit perfectly under the car 😎

View attachment 24407

WHAT ELSE?
  • All windows will be tinted, front to back.
  • Headlight, rears, fogs and reflectors are getting tinted.
  • Installing my Blackvue dashcam
  • Full Maxton Design bodykit
  • Gassprings into the engine bonnet = failed 1st attempt = waiting for new springs
  • Maybe install a real dual exhaust, in combination with a new diffuser.
  • Looking for dynamic LED side blinkers
  • Rear wiper delete

If you read this, you are truly interested, and I thank you! 😉
I am interested how you have dealt with keeping warranty. My CUPRA has 4 years or 100kKM warranty. Didn't you tuning break warranty?

Feb 7, 2024
Hello hello!
Prepare yourself for a long story 😋

I'm Stijn, pronounced "Stan" for most of you, and live near Mechelen in Belgium.
Working as a professional car detailer for 3 years now, so scouting for a new car was stressful. 😅 Can't help searching for small imperfections on the paint or interiour. 🕵️‍♂️

I had a Volvo V40 2016 R-Design, wich I fully modified as far as I could.

View attachment 24406

After almost 5 years of enjoying the car and big community, it was time to choose a more comfortable ride for the wife 😄 It was hard to go anywhere without checking Google Streetview for parking, quality of roads, and weatherconditions. Not the most relaxing time on roadtrips 😉

So after a dozen other brands and models, I reached the Cupra Formentor, and boy was I sold! 😍 As was my other half, so I let her pick the color 😇
For financial reasons, we got the V1 with DSG in Camouflage Green (in some countries Dark Camo?)

Was surprised with the fast delivery time! A month before the suspected date, I mailed them with a question and a status, and the car was already there!
Because I have the experience with preparing new cars and adding more protection, the dealer only made sure to technically prepare the car.
Full of protection foil, stickers, unwashed, and on a trailer we went home!

View attachment 24408

Ok... so now the problems started. For some, this might not come as a surprise.
To cut this story short: my whole touchscreen is getting replaced under warranty, and probably a few system updates.

The transformation can begin! 👾
Oh wait, I told my wife this car was going to stay 'normal' 🤥
There are a few things I want to be added to my cars, so they stand out from the crowd.

1. Decontamination, polish and coating
As every new car comes from the factory (often overseas) and gets transported by truck, train and boat, they get dirty.
The protection film is only there for lowinger the chance of stonechips and dirty fingers.
The film itself leaves a glue on the paint, and sometimes burns into the paint if the car sits in the sun for too long.
At the car dealer, the car gets wached (often in a carwash) for the first time and they won't look into every detail. It just takes to long. 💰

Therefore, I wanted the car to be untouched and unwashed. When I got the car into the shop I got started on removing all films, gave it a thorough wash, and removed remaining glue.
Modern day cars have orange peel in the paint, so I first got that a bit better on large surfaces. Then a 3 step polish to get every stratch out (and yes a new car has them too) before applying a 3 layer ceramic coating.
Every possible part of the car has been covered, even underside, inside engine bay, rubbers, leather, glass, wheels and callipers,...

View attachment 24410 View attachment 24409

2. Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I never had my previous car(s) protected with this kind of technology, but I should have!
So this was a no-brainer from the start. It's not cheap, but worth it.
The car never left the shop until the front bumper was fully wrapped ready against stonechips.
Other parts where PPF will be installed: doorhandles, B and C pillars, gaslid, mirrorcaps, doorsills, and gloss black parts on the center console.

View attachment 24411

3. Roof box

As we want to use the car for roadtrips across Europe, I wanted to expand the space with a roofbox.
The roofrails from Cupra where not so expensive, but ugly and a rebrand from Thule, So it was not too hard to find a matching Thule set of rails, more airodynamic and better looking.
After some looking online, I got my new Thule Vector M roofbox for 25% off!
Might wrap the grey part in a more matching color 😇

View attachment 24413

4. ECU and DSG tuning

Why get more power and torque? Why not. I had every car tuned, without problems. You get all the benefits without paying extra in roadtaxes.
There are many tuning companies around who do this, for sometimes super cheap prices. But I went to a highly experienced one, speciallized in VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
When you have a automatic transmission, it's recommened to tune it too! Most cheap companies don't, so your DSG is wairing more if your engine wants to deliver more power.

Before: 150HP - 250nm
After: 207HP - 351nm

Bonus adjustment: disable START/STOP (only when I want)

View attachment 24412

5. Wheels and lowering (yet to be installed)

I ordered the car with the standard 18' rims, as I would use them for the winter setup.
Wanted both sets on Michelin tires, but got a good deal on Bridgestone. I don't drive on circuits, won't feel a difference.

Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 245/45R18 XL 100V
Summer: Bridgestone Potenza Sport 235/35R20 92Y

Choosing rims is always difficult. Not many have other wheels and it's always fun to be different.
So, I got the Concaver CVR1 5x112 9x20 ET35 in Carbon Graphite!
Together with lowering springs from JE Design, it will fit perfectly under the car 😎

View attachment 24407

WHAT ELSE?
  • All windows will be tinted, front to back.
  • Headlight, rears, fogs and reflectors are getting tinted.
  • Installing my Blackvue dashcam
  • Full Maxton Design bodykit
  • Gassprings into the engine bonnet = failed 1st attempt = waiting for new springs
  • Maybe install a real dual exhaust, in combination with a new diffuser.
  • Looking for dynamic LED side blinkers
  • Rear wiper delete

If you read this, you are truly interested, and I thank you! 😉
oohlala !!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members