Stretched tyres - discuss

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
it's illegal in the eyes of VOSA (and therefore insurance is invalid, and your car could justifiably be impounded if inspected)

Reason for rejection: a tyre not fitted in compliance with the manufacturers sidewall instruction

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937 -> crux of the discussion based upon if the car would gain a certificate of compliance in the UK with stretched tyres, if the answer is 'yes' then they'd be legal? But I bet no sceneboys would dare SVA their car, because they know full well that they'd fail.

RobT's discussion about sidewall deformation, and heat build up is very real - feel your tyres after sitting at 70mph on the motorway for 20 mins - I bet yours are going to be nice & toasty compared to most (and yours in the wrong places)

Just because people do it doesn't make it right - it just demonstrates that there are still stupid people out there....

ahh right, valid point there, im going to do some more investigating( not to proove anything or anyone wrong though) just for myself

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
i think it looks carp!!!!altho a tiny stretch like stu's is not to bad, but i personly like my sidewalls flush!
do you no that it was the japs that sopoesadly started the strech off but it was buy no means as extream as it is now.from what i understand the japs did this for a no of reasons
1, to get lower to the ground
2, more flea from the tyre when drifting
3, to run silghty wider wheels
im maybe wrong and feel free to corect me on this.
at the end of the day everyone has there own opinon,i think it looks crap and unsafe but if people want to put there lifes,pride and joys thats cost them thousands then so be it!

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
Dear me - I read page 1, but 12 pages.... to many. Post 1 = funny as.

Toyo
"NOTE TO PROFESSIONAL TIRE INSTALLERS: Exceeding the maximum bead seating pressure — The tire service person must NEVER INFLATE BEYOND 40 POUNDS PRESSURE TO SEAT BEADS unless specified by the tire manufacturer! "

OT, but I suggest Toyo get their self-righteous house in order then - a lot of people with 888s have to go way over 40psi to bead them, on intended rim widths :doh:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
couple of threads i found

post 1

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2234638

and here no one knows the answer not even VOSA, they state that the wheel must not protrude past the arch more than 30mm but nothing about the stretch, only the manufacturer states the guidelines.

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937

You found a thread I posted earlier?

Anyway - the MOT (vosa) states that the tyre must be mounted in line with manufacturers guidelines.

So just find a tyre manufacturer that thinks that fitting a 195 tyre on an 8" rim is OK & it's legal.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Saw this posted somewhere else from the Ultimate Dubs show, and thought this afternoon was missing a bit of stretched tyre / rim action:

013-4.jpg

014-1.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

However in the same thread I did see a very tidy SEAT, so thought I would post that too.

P1010288.jpg

PaulVRS

Jul 27, 2008
Milton Keynes
so by the looks of everything ive seen on this forum Differant = Wrong how boring you all must be to keep doing the same thing as everyone else time after time

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I love people that say they do things to "stand out" - I bet they're the ones who cross dress in the evenings.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
so by the looks of everything ive seen on this forum Differant = Wrong how boring you all must be to keep doing the same thing as everyone else time after time

The issue is safety - stretched tyres are not safe - we welcome new ideas so long as they might not kill you , or more importantly, other innocent road users

Rat-Cupra

There very safe and i worked with tyres for years
only had 1 blow out but stopped safe and if u want small size tyres look on
Camskills!!! 165/40/16 and other wierd sizes

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
There very safe and i worked with tyres for years
only had 1 blow out but stopped safe and if u want small size tyres look on
Camskills!!! 165/40/16 and other wierd sizes

suitable width tyres for suitable width rims.. simple as.

too stretched the bead can break

it is s stupid, ill advised thing to do and drive on.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
If i tie 20,000 of these together and tie it to you in a harness, would you jump off the bridge ?

after all it's the same stuff so it must be ok no ??

rubberbands.jpeg

Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
if you were to crash with stretched tyres on your rims, and you claimed on your insurance, would they still pay out? i don't think they would.

Rat-Cupra

Yes they wld have 2pay out as there is nothing in a MOT saying u have 2have a specific size tyre, also it would be hard for them to same it was because of the tyre's that the crash happend​

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yes they wld have 2pay out as there is nothing in a MOT saying u have 2have a specific size tyre, also it would be hard for them to same it was because of the tyre's that the crash happend​

Reason for rejection: a tyre not fitted in compliance with the manufacturers sidewall instruction

I think that'd cover it.

Rat-Cupra

You will also find that recommended does not mean u have 2use they just say its best with that size in use. u can put any speed rate tyre on any car with nothing said and anyway, any body with a stretch big enough or even a little stretch will have there car so LOW it will neva go fast 2make a real difference tith the tyre

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members