strut brace studs

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
while I was fitting my strut brace yesterday, one of the 3 studs in the engine bay where the strud brace is mounted on has snapped:censored: not tightening anymore just turning on itself!
It was rusty...can it be rethreaded or can something be done?
Should I take it to dealer...could be an expensive fix:(

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
you may be lucky and find that the thread on the stud is ok and you just need a new nut

but most likely the thread on the stud is stripped and the only way to fix it correctly is to replace the stud

you may be able to fit another nut on top of the one that just spins around but this is not really a proper fix

good luck

edit, warranty will prob :lol: at you unless you are v lucky

Last edited:

gazjones

you could try another bolt in the hole that the other one turns, if it still turnes then the top mount will have a stripped thread. if not its just the nut that is the problem

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
yep if it is broke find a breaker and try them, might be to salvage a bolt cheaper than a garage would give u. by try I a breakers I dont mean ask them for 1 :p lol

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
replace the lot with some proper nut n bolts.this will actually hold the brace alot firmer. the soft crappy self tappers that suppliers supply are :w4nk:

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
wat I am worried about is what if I have damaged the top top mount plate:-o
Will be an expensive fix for a new one:confused:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
If you need a new top mount done mate, i had mine done about a year ago for £80 + tracking i think. Same thing happened to me and the bearing also died.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
sounds to me as you have cross threaded and recked the threads. if its the seat sport strut brace then yes the holes dont line up so there is some tension in the strut bar this makes it easy to cross thread i suppose.

if this was me i would take the suspension leg by cutting the stud head off. drill the stud out and re-tap a thread but if you cant. take it to the dealers i dont recommend the nut on it as this could cause suspension noises and maybe worse

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
It is not inline thats true![:@]
I have bought a new stud cost about a pound from dealer yesterday
Was up this morning at 6:00 trying it on:cry:
Looks ok....did not tighten it too much wanted to get a torque wrench to get the exact force..from wat I have been told it is about 22Nm ....or 25 Nm
Not sure which one tho. Has any one got the exact figure:shrug:

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
mine were dam near welded on. had to put some plus gas on to help get it off, o and no before u say out Im not that weak lol

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
[:@] anyone know the right torque for the front strut brace.[:@]
confused now as I got 2 different answers 22 or 25 Nm:confused:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.