strut brace

gazjones

fitted it this morning peice of p*** to fit just need to trim engine cover makes horrible noise when starting up.

gazjones

think its just the 20vt one had to taake loads off mine as when you rev the engine it moves so there needs to be plenty of room for it i dint leave enought room after my first attempt and the top of engine cover broke when i was driving. this mean cutting all the cover off that slopes up around the dump valve. looks bit of a bodge at the moment but ill sort it later

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Fez boy said:
I am going to fit mine on Sunday ;)

Do all the engine covers need to be trimed on the MK4?
The TDI ones should be fine, but you might have to put some foam around the strut brace where it goes over the airbox as some people have had that rattle against it.

Stephen O

May 4, 2004
Manchester
The newer strut brace's are of a different design to the older one's. I had one few uear's ago on my Tdi Sport and it rubbed against the bonnet and the airbox touched it. But on my Cupra they seem to have adjusted the shape of the bar slighty so it fit's better. Tdi brace's dont require any trimming of engine cover.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Stephen O said:
The newer strut brace's are of a different design to the older one's. I had one few uear's ago on my Tdi Sport and it rubbed against the bonnet and the airbox touched it. But on my Cupra they seem to have adjusted the shape of the bar slighty so it fit's better. Tdi brace's dont require any trimming of engine cover.

Just got a Forge one, is it a similar to fit as the seat sport?

jim4983

Aug 29, 2005
Kent
can u tell me what it sounds a bit crashy means?? Also i hear all this easy peasey buisnesss is it the same when putting it on a lcr??

jim

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
jim4983 said:
can u tell me what it sounds a bit crashy means?? Also i hear all this easy peasey buisnesss is it the same when putting it on a lcr??
I'm guessing by crashy they mean that because the bodyshell can flex less then it's more rigid when it hits a bump or whatever and some of the shocks are transmitted through the body instead of being fully absorbed by the dampers. (Not that they would be as the OE ones are a bit crap tbh)

As to putting one on a LCR I gather it could be a bit of a mission as it involves some drilling. Might be worth doing a search tbh as I'm sure it's been mentioned before.

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
I fitted a Momo one today (with a bit of help to hold the box on the drivers strut out of the way) being black and silver it looks OE (apart from the Momo logo) but I noticed that it's notched to clear the airbox which is a nice touch. I haven't noticed it fouling the engine cover yet but I'll keep an eye out.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Aren't the Seat Sport ones made by Momo anyway? Mine had a notch to clear the airbox as well...

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
I'm not sure who makes the Seat ones.

This is the one I have (though not the best of photos)

mmsb.jpg

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
The others seem to be a single peace unit where as this is a 3 peace unit. Though what the point of it is I'm not sure as you don't need to adjust it for length, the only reason for it was it was being sold off as part of a clearance sale and I can't resist when somthing is redused. :D

It has threaded adjusters similer to on track rods:
mmsb2.jpg