SW update for MIB2 infotainment system?

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Updating to latest FW 1447 is easy and safe.

Just grab your copy on mibsolution.eu

Afterwards, you can easily patch your unit with M.I.B.
Just a SD card needed.

And update to latest maps.

Feel free to open a new thread on 1447 FW Update I‘m happy to support this for you and all the others.

BTW, there is no connection between FECs and mph or km/h, this is 100% coding/adaptions gone wrong.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Tell

Staff member
Updating to latest FW 1447 is easy and safe.

Just grab your copy on mibsolution.eu

Afterwards, you can easily patch your unit with M.I.B.
Just a SD card needed.

And update to latest maps.

Feel free to open a new thread on 1447 FW Update I‘m happy to support this for you and all the others.

BTW, there is no connection between FECs and mph or km/h, this is 100% coding/adaptions gone wrong.

Thanks.

Presume the 1447 link in German I posted early is the same.

May be forced into doing it myself since the retro-fitter I had in mind hasn't a Seat unit and hasn't found one yet as a test bed they can sell on. So I'm thinking get my July trips out of the way and if I can do it myself I will and failing that get them to sort out any mess but obviously I will take the boards kind help including you.

It seems a common issue is fixing the Seat screen once the software is loaded. @Chillout did make a passing mention to that I believe. That appears on the German board. So obviously a good idea to find that (again).

I think with that lined up when you can't read the screen that should bring it back.

I did find another thread on TSR issues with MPH / KPH in the US down on that thread:

Last edited:

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
MU1447 on both sources should be the same.

Regarding the skin issue after update (unit does not boot), just change skin with VCP/VCDS/OBD11 and unit will boot through normally.
Change Byte 17 to Skin 4 (only this one is working!)
1623522730670.png

The relevant threads on the german board are:
(I hope this is OK)

M.I.B

Download (always latest version):

M.I.B is NOT just patching:
  • Running from SD card only (NO"D-Link"/PC/Putty required)
    • during installation of M.I.B the list of supported USB devices is expanded. Cheap 5-10 GBP "D-Link" alternatives can be used afterwards.
  • Automated system backup to SD card before patching is even possible
  • Fully automated patching, with multiple safety measures, to make sure, that only the right patch can be applied to the FW on unit
  • Fully automated editing of FECContainer.fec
    • Adding SKODA MAP Fec to enbable latest map Update on SEAT
    • Only Fecs not already enabled on the unit will be added. All other Fecs stay original and will continue to work even after removal of patch.
  • Fully automated activation of coding (long cooding and adaptions) to enabe CarPlay and AA
  • and much more, check picture below:
1623522860501.png

Find attached files with:
  1. List of supported FW versions (all MHI2/Q)
  2. Overview over common FECs and their function
  3. Password list for MHI2/Q units.

MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4709 MU1447

@Tell feel free to move this post into a new thread related to MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4709 MU1447 updating and patching!

Based on the metainfo2 exploit, it would be possible to create a custom FW update, which could:
  • automatically patch during installation
  • automatically change FecContainer.fec during installation
  • Change Skin during installation
This was already done once for the Audi 3663 update.

So, if someone from the community is eager to do this ;)

Attachments

• PATCH COMPATIBILITY TABLE.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 648
  • FEC List.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 704
  • 2021_06_MHI2_Password_List_V2.5.pdf
    600.4 KB · Views: 3,200
Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Obtaining the Skoda Lifetime Navigation FeC for the Mib2 High (Europe 08300008) to enable the upload of June 2021 map release 192 to the unit and may be beyond

Notes

For DIY method using Mib Tool two main options:

1. Update to one of the Mib2 High firmware releases where a Mib Tool patch is available for FeCs
  2. Stay on Current firmware but update FeCs as above (currently 1447, 1409, 1376, 1338, 1219)

Elements of the second option are covered in the first. A firmware update can be more problematic than just a FeC update. The second approach is dependent on whether the patch has already been created by the M.I.B. team that supports Mib Tools this is determined when the back up is made on Mib Tools. If the patch has not already been created then an invitation to submit the backup and website is provided. The M.I.B. people can create a custom patch where you only AddFecs or a full patch. Existings patches can be found in the patches directory and have the run in name MHI2_ER_SEG11....

Firmware Update to 1447

(Notes so far gleaned from DEB forum and Angelixx see post 941 here. Considerable misdirection on the DEB site.

You need to check you have a valid route from current firmware to this release, staged may be required (see thread 01xx-> 06xx ->08xx -> 1447).

Take the links from the DEB board, you need to register. You need to run Google Translate or Chrome on a separate tab if you don't speak German to read the instructions.

Firmware link is shown after "FW update MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4709 MU1447" when registered under the German language tab. See post 743 for 1409 software, you need this to supplement missing language files from 1447. SWDL incremental manual download is used to install the missing files.

You need to switch to skin 4 to avoid fiddling mid process. If the skin is not changed the unit may boot up with a blank screen then the Obdeleven / VCDS coding can be made then. Better to do it in advance

MIB Tool + Patch

There is a forum DEB thread devoted to that

The associated firmware download (MIB Tool) which is up-to-date is on the link, 7z under M.I.B. directory:

guest, guest

-----

Option 1 - Firmware Update to 1447 and use of MIB Tool

Distilled stages

1. Fix screen first before processing for 1447

From DEB 1447 forum: "It has already been observed twice that a unit gets stuck in the boot screen immediately after the firmware update.
If this happens to you via VCDS / VCP / OBD11: change byte 17 to skin 04 (carbon skin) and restart the system."

Pre-empt, change long string of 5F module to Byte 17 to Skin 4, save and long reboot VCDS or OBDEleven (check)

VCDS method
:
1623778206342.png

OBDEleven Method:
20210615_182016.png

20210615_181839.png

2. Take a copy of the 5F long string before starting for comparison at end to resolve any issues + photograph FeCs

3. Clear SVMs with OBDEleven / VCDS before we start

May not actually be required.

4. Check climate background

??
From DEB 1447 forum "That helped me a lot, Byte2 = 0x80, otherwise I had no background image in the climate, my original value was 0x03"
??

5. Install MIB Tool + Patch

GEM version should be above 4.1 for MIB Tool to install via SD.

Prepare SD card:
Extract all files of the M.I.B. to the root directory of a clean SD-Card (FAT32 formatted is requirement!!!)
NEW - GEM Method: use GEM
Insert the SD card into slot SD1 of your MHI2 unit.
Enter Engineering/Red Menu to start SW Update. Select UPDATE, select SD card, select "M.I.B. Launcher V1.0", START update.
Installtion of M.I.B. on your Unit will start. The unit will restart three time until update process is finished.
GEM will be activated as part of the installation.
SVM error has to be cleared via M.I.B. function in GEM after installation
Enter GEM on your unit and have FUN!
Select ==>>M.I.B.-More_Incredible_Bash<<==

See README.TXT file on the download for presentation on the SD

User video here of (similar 😉) installation... stops before clearing the SVM but shows installation:

6. Backup current firmware

At this point a branch exists as to whether you really want to update the firmware or continue with your existing firmware. A screen is returned from MIB Tool if the current firmware is not in the patch database on the SD card. The patches are held in the patch directory. You are invited to submit the backup you have made to the M.I.B. team if the firmware does not exist for patches in the patch directory (e.g. not seen before).

20210616_122946.jpg

In this instance at this time the software 1338 was unknown to the team. Check log file for errors as it tells you.
20210616_123408.jpg

Goto option 2 below if you are not changing the firmware release.

7. Fix SVM errors with MIB Tool Again

8. Install MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4709 MU1447 & top up language files if required from MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4708_MU1409 using SWDL manual download, start. Must copy across missing files from 1409 not in 1447 !.

9. Back up with MIB Tool

10. Install Patch from MIB Tool

IFS Root STAGE 2 Patch for Seat 1447 in MIB Tools patch directory MHI2_ER_SEG11_P4709_MU1447_PATCH

(If RoW navigation FeC is required edit txt in the patch with RoW FeC using notepad - see FeC list attached. Patch is setup for Europe)

11. Check TMC parameter 15 is still present (check before the update as well, should be no slash through TMC icon top left if a signal is being received), no bar across it. (Free service used in UK)

Hint. read this and make a note before you start on the process within your VCDS tool so you can put back the desired code if it is changed

12. Clear SVMs with MIB Tool

13. Take out for a drive to test TSR if TSR is configured in the car

Highly unlikely to be an issue

14. Update Maps (e.g. 192)

----

Option 2 - Stay on Current firmware but update FeCs Using Mib Tool Only

Follow points 5 and 6 above.

You only need to download Mib-Tool since you are retaining the firmware but you may need to obtain a patch file for Mib-Tool if the existing software is not recognized at the end of the backup - see message and check log file. Although dummy patch files can be generated yourself some skills is required. @jpmedia generated the one I used by sending them a copy of the backup and they returned the file to be dropped into the patches directory on the SD card of MIB Tool.

Patches already exist for 1219, 1338, 1376, 1409 and 1447 (as of 24/06/2021). An existing patch matching the SW needs to be flashed. If a dummy patch is supplied by the team as a fix, go to addfec button direct in this menu.

The additional FeCs are populated from within the txt file in the patch. The 08300008 life long FeC code should be in that already. See FeC list attached.

Enter patch_ifs-root option and hit Add new Fecs to FecContainer.fec. After reboot the unit, long press on / off button (20 second or so) to get a reboot so they take effect and check installed FeCs. The add FeC is shown below.

If the backup is recognized, the firmware hit flash patch image.

20210617_205335.jpg

In both sub options check the Skoda FeC has been added. Reboot then hold for couple of seconds the menu button to find installed FeC list and check. Correctly enable navigation should find a selected route for more than 30 seconds without telling you the navigation database is not valid. If the wrong navigation FeC is being used on an installed map this error occurs. If OK can now update maps.

--------

Option 3 1447 AIO (subsequent late entry to the listed edited in May 2022)

This option is firmware "1447" but adjusted for the issues covered in option 1 e.g.. missing language files, start up screen issue, plus all FeCs.

Success reported with this by users in April / May 2022. See thread posts. Some users updated directly to 1447AIO from 01xx.

The 1447AIO software:

guest, guest

--------

- OBDEleven / VCDS programming tool to clear the initial SVM. Changing the skin and making corrections.

- Knowledge of infotainment updates on the mib2 high. Ideally, use a PC and 7 zip for unpacking. macOS can generate hidden file characters, use CleanMyDrive and Keka for the Unzip. Probably safer not to use a MAC. Use of SWDL.

- Recommended using a battery charger since interruption of the firmware update can make the unit unbootable. Possible to keep the engine running as an alternative if confident it will not stall.

- Study MIB Tools documentation

- See FeC list attached for alternative RoW navigation lifetime FeCs

- Additional FeCs can be added see addFecs.txt in patch, notepad editor. Default FeCs shown in green on FeC list.

-----

Thanks to @Chillout @MIB-Wiki @jpmedia @Rsjay and especially @Angelixx. All risk is down to the individual in changing firmware / updating FeCs.

Edited from all comments and experience to 14/07/2021... these are taken on board. Ignore below to then.

Attachments

• FEC List.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 317
  • PATCH COMPATIBILITY TABLE.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
@Chillout just pointed out, that one has to differentiate between:

MIB2 Toolbox (my product at GitHub.com/jilleb/mib2toolbox) which is all about customizing, and open for writing your own menus and scripts.

M.I.B. (which stands for More Incredible Bash), which is focused on patching a unit so it has all FECs and no component protection.

M.I.B includes patches for all (known) MHI2 FW versions.
Each FW patch includes an ifs-root-stage2 image with MIBROOT patched for:
  1. FecContainer signature check
  2. VCRN check
  3. CP check
Install MIB Tool + Patch:
  1. Prepare SD card - clean SD-Card (FAT32 formatted is requirement)
  2. Extract all files of the M.I.B. to the root directory of SD-Card
  3. Insert the SD card into slot SD1 of your MHI2 unit
  4. Enter Engineering/Red Menu to start SW Update. Select UPDATE, select SD card, select "M.I.B. Launcher V1.0", START update.
    Installtion of M.I.B. on your Unit will start. The unit will restart three time until update process is finished.
    GEM will be activated as part of the installation.
    SVM error has to be cleared via M.I.B. function in GEM after installation
  5. Enter GEM on your unit and have FUN!
    Select ==>>M.I.B.-More_Incredible_Bash<<==
  6. Clear SVMs with MIB Tool
  7. Install Patch from MIB Tool
    1. Backup with MIB Tool will be run automatically
  8. addFec to FecContainer.fec (e.g. SKODA map Fec)

Tell

Staff member
That feels as if it won't go wrong.

Will add to my notes.

I have been looking through the MIB files to see what was in them and noted each release was covered and the initial load files. Indeed it looks thougher.

Thank you. Got another month of note taking 😍.

Will read through the other DEB forum on people loading up below 1447 for any other hints (1409 and 1376).

I added the TMC notes above since software upgrades can turn that off so needs to be put back to the 15 setting we use least in the UK via VCDS. That one was from @Walone on their firmware upgrade.

I worry about whether the 360' camera alignment settings are stored in the infotainment unit. I assume wherever they are they remain unaffected with the current map, user POIs, jukebox material etc still intact.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIB-Wiki

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
No video available.

Did you check the README and look at the picture of the menu structure I included above?

All is run from SD within GEM. No way to input text or type.

Just install M.I.B on your unit and have a look. No need to make more notes and wait…
Will all be done in a few minutes .

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
My understanding is that I can't install MIB with my current firmware 1338 so I can't look at the screens so once you have started you are a bit stuck since it disables navigation till you install it. So one needs to clarify what needs to be done.

Re above there are green screen PNGs which are far to small to read above. Microscopic. I had noticed you had edited them in. They need to be more readable.

Googles also taken to not wanting to translate now and OBDEleven is threating an annual Pro license but sign some money over today... dah dah others are saying if you got Pro you got a lifetime license now... but other than that. (will see whether that's being talked about elsewhere on the Forum)

Needs the green screens made readable or a link to where they are. Like does everything go on the SD card and it knows it's 1447 so will pick it up or do you put 1447 in a directory. Is it press and play or fiddle. Needs a generalised video like Andrew produced.

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Installation of M.I.B is always working.

Display in GEM is however limited to GEM version 4.1+

Not sure about GEM version of your MU.

The screenshot above should be possible to view in full also. At least the original file was big enough.

Tell

Staff member
Installation of M.I.B is always working.

Display in GEM is however limited to GEM version 4.1+

Not sure about GEM version of your MU.

The screenshot above should be possible to view in full also. At least the original file was big enough.

Each image needs to be in it's own PNG. They appear as this... one blob. But I do think we would be getting somewhere if we could read that.;).

Suggestion put them in a word document on your server and link to them :)... unless they already are.

1623680356934.png

Last edited:

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Check post on DEB. You can get the picture in full resolution there. Here it seems to be reduced in quality after saving.

Tell

Staff member
Did find a couple of files on other boards... probably old but give the gist

M.I.B.thumb.png.09120b2bd55e4ed8fc85feb3656ba800.png

And the handy text readme.txt.

My old firmware issue (1338) of whether mib tool can be loaded revolves around which version of Gem I have. @jpmedia PMed me to say if my Gem was ver 4.10 then I could load it and Mib tool will work then offered to do the rest with the team you suggested. Will have a go later. Good if one sees a menu like that. Revised PM to say above 4.1 (yes we are 4.12st).

@Walone has a pesky SVM code he cant get rid of... yet to check whether I can get rid of mine. I get one every time I do a map update, so just left them. But we are told to get rid of them before Mib Tool, how critical ?. Once you get Mib Tools in it takes care of them for you.

Walone's:

1 Fault Found:
1556 - Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
B2000 87 [009] - Missing message
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 24

Is that bad ?.

I'm not sure at which stage any previous retrofitters hanky panky will show up in blocking changes. Whether that can be seen in the backup or whether that's when you come to flash. That what Chillout warned about but ways around. Something only retrofit units need to worry about.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• README.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
The picture above is from the putty interface, so that is the old solution (which is still available, but not used much anymore) where you run M.I.B via telnet interface on the unit. Of course, running this is independent from GEM version. But you need to have the D-Link adapter and PC with putty to run it.

The new GEM solution just runs from SD card only. Way easier to use.

Just update FW, all latest FWs (on all brands) have GEM >4.1.

Just follow the MEGA link, you will always find latest M.I.B version and Documentation there.

SVM code sometimes can get 0 this can not be removed. Maybe that is also the case here?
Having SVM error is not a problem towards functionality. It is just not nice. And the dealer might ask, where it is coming from.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I'm encouraging you to provide the pages 🤣. I will take a photo when I get that far.

This is the documented main menu screen edited into above... the working "how to" in English:

M.I.B.png

The problem with the Mib Tool / DEB documentation is the implicit assumption that you load up Mib Tools after the firmware update.... Not that Mib Tools works with all least dependent on release of GEM.

Think you mean GEM>=4.1... my two maths degrees come in handy. JPMedia has now corrected himself inline with you :). (greater than 4.1)

I will give it a go but I think I will take up @jpmedia offer of it on 1338 first then jumping to 1447 although if the backup of 1338 is an installable backup ?, then jumping to 1447 wouldn't be an issue since I would have a way back if the retrofitter hadn't fiddled with it to prevent user firm ware updates ?. (That which he said "after I do this you won't be able to install firmware yourself"... assuming that was an idol threat or doesn't apply thru mib tools GEM method although Chillout implied an issue may exist but can be got round).

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
@Walone has a pesky SVM code he cant get rid of... yet to check whether I can get rid of mine. I get one every time I do a map update, so just left them. But we are told to get rid of them before Mib Tool, how critical ?. Once you get Mib Tools in it takes care of them for you.

Walone's:

1 Fault Found:
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001text
Fault Frequency: 1te
Reset counter: 24

Is that bad ?.

I'm not sure at which stage any previous retrofitters hanky panky will show up in blocking changes. Whether that can be seen in the backup or whether that's when you come to flash. That what Chillout warned about but ways around. Something only retrofit units need to worry about.

Thanks all.
I don't think it's a 'SVM' error, this is the text in full, note the reference to Mmx2 device;-

1 Fault Found:
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 198
Mileage: 20061 km
Date: 2018.09.27
Time: 17:11:12

Voltage terminal 30: 12.2 V
Software module: status-SW_Status_Consistency: 00 08 00
Software module: status-SW_Status_Device: Mmx2Mmx2Mmx2M

This only showed up after I had the unit 'hacked' to enable map updates.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
What did you do to enable it?

You used M.I.B?

I didn't do it, a retrofitter (Vagtec) did it, they came to my house and connected a laptop to the unit and updated the FEC's (all from a different VIN) but I only got 3 or 4 map updates before the FEC 'expired'.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.