Switched over to Super Unleaded recently...

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
... and, well I thought it was all marketing BS and a waste of the extra cash. But there isn't much difference between super and normal unleaded so I've given it a try. What can I say, I can definitely notice the car running ALOT smoother now and SEEMS to be a tad more responsive. So looks like I'll be using that from now on!

Just thought I'd share my findings. Maybe it won't show such improvements on NA cars but for the 1.8t the engine seems to love gulping it down :D

How many of you use the super unleaded?

Thanks for reading/replying

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Seems to make a huge difference in my 1.4, but your right, most of it is smoothness and responsiveness. Also, I'm doing roughly 300 miles to a tank, even with my 'teenage' driving :p:whistle: why to they do 95 octane? and which brand do you use? I use V-Power :drive1:

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I use super unleaded in my LCR. On the odd occasion that I have had to put 95ron in (although normally only a tenner or so), I do notice the car is just not as responsive.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well my cars had 92,000 miles of initially 98 now 99 RON petrol. Cars never missed a beat.
This engine was designed for 98+ RON petrol.
What I have noticed the few times my wife has put in 96 RON is that there wasn't that instant acceleration that you get with the 98/99 RON.
Some people say that their engines work better with Tesco's but nevr been there and never will, V Power all the way

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I have never used a different petrol than Tesco 99. In some magazines this petrol was marked as one of the best super unleaded.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I think Top Gear or Fifth gear did a test and found 98 or above is worth the extra expense as it burns more efficiently and in doing so gives you better performance and more mpg.

I always ran my LCR on V power and recently my K1 had been given a diet of Tesco 99 ron and seems to be producing good power on it.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
another convert - all the facts and figures in the world and tests for numbers etc won't convince me to go back to normal in anything, even after i borrowed my mums car and took it back she asked me how much the service cost her and thanks for tuning it

all i did was stick fuel in it :)

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
another convert - all the facts and figures in the world and tests for numbers etc won't convince me to go back to normal in anything, even after i borrowed my mums car and took it back she asked me how much the service cost her and thanks for tuning it

all i did was stick fuel in it :)
tuning! :lol: what car? it mustve been running badly for it to make THAT much difference

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
tuning! :lol: what car? it mustve been running badly for it to make THAT much difference

1.25 zetec fiesta - main difference i noticed was pulling out of junctions or slow 2nd gear town driving stuff

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
As everyone above... bought the car with a tank full of 95RON, been run on either V Power or Tesco since (depending on which one I'm nearer when I can snatch the keys away from the trouble & strife) and its noticably more responsive... but I can't really comment on the economy as it's my weekend car!;)

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
1.25 zetec fiesta - main difference i noticed was pulling out of junctions or slow 2nd gear town driving stuff

Oh, thats another thing. Has anybody tried these magnets that supposedly increase MPG and make the ride smoother etc? Any idea's on that?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Is their any difference between V power and tesco super?

Reason I ask is ive been putting V power in my car since I got it (only december lol) but the Shell garage is near my house, whereas tesco is near my work and fuel is cheaper where I work than where I live, so as a result the tesco super is about 5p a litre cheaper than the V power.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Oh, thats another thing. Has anybody tried these magnets that supposedly increase MPG and make the ride smoother etc? Any idea's on that?

been a few supposed positive trials over the years but many moons ago when i found one on a car and tried it on a few - no :)

considering what a fuel goes through before combustion nowadays i am not surprised ever

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Is their any difference between V power and tesco super?

Reason I ask is ive been putting V power in my car since I got it (only december lol) but the Shell garage is near my house, whereas tesco is near my work and fuel is cheaper where I work than where I live, so as a result the tesco super is about 5p a litre cheaper than the V power.

I always used v power in my LCR and like many doubted tesco stuff,but with the v power i noticed car was inconsistant with performance,never really considered using anything else untill other month when tesco were doing 5p off a lt and i thought id give it a shot so filled it up with tesco 99.
Lets just say i wont be going back to shell!,im not saying its more powerfull but the difference to me is it now runs consistantly well producing the same pull all the time.
It also gives the same mpg as the shell did so must be burning just aswell as the shell v power did, and round here the tesco 99 is about 10p per lt cheaper and thats before the 5p a lt off.
The tesco 99 has had some very good reviews lately and after using v power for 30k i have now switched to tesco 99 and i am very happy with it.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
I've used tesco 99 in my LC and i've not only noticed that it feels better but also i'm getting about another 20 - 30 miles out of a tank, cancels out the extra cost of the fuel, i'm well happy :D

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
never going back to standard stuff. i noticed a bigger gain when i was driving diesels from Vpower.

to anyone that recons they'll try it, just be sure no to nock it until your on your third tank or so...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members