symptoms of split intake manifold gasket

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
im pretty sure ive an air leak coming from the inlet manifold area, im experiencing high fuel comsumption, and poor air to fuel ratios... what would be the symptoms of a split intake manifold gasket guys, im hoping the issues im seeing are down to this as i have a phenolic gasket to fit??

would a split cause high fuel consumption?

cheers in advance

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
done this, doesnt seem to raise the idle.... but does bubble around the inlet... probably due to heat??

positive its coming from there though

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I changed my inlet manifold + gasket yesterday for a performance one, I very much doubt the gasket has gone as there a really strong gasket [sort of a metal composit, not cheapy gasket]

I also changed my injector seals, maybe this is your problem? :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
done this, doesnt seem to raise the idle.... but does bubble around the inlet... probably due to heat??

positive its coming from there though

Bubbling would indicated leaking air.
Make up a weak solution of water and washing up liquid, put this into and atomiser.
Start your car and spray this on the piece you suspect to be leaking ie inlet gasket.
You will be able to note the leaking areas as it will 'bubble up'

We use this for noting leaks when pressure testing with air/nitrogen

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
did this with brake cleaner willie, sprayed around the inlet manny where it meets the block, and it bubbles up, lots of tiny bubbles on all 4 cylinder areas. would this indicate a leak, not just the manny hot?

sprayed some on the hot rocker cover and this didnt bubble.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If you can easily try what I mentioned, if this bubbles then 100% it's obvious its air and not heat as it blows big bubbles that cannot be confused with 'fizzing/boiling'

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Could be, theres 2 big ones in the middle 2 small ones on the end + one on side for brake servo?...the big one furthest drivers side is prone to splitting.

I only said injector seals as thats what was wrong with mine :)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Could be, theres 2 big ones in the middle 2 small ones on the end + one on side for brake servo?...the big one furthest drivers side is prone to splitting.

I only said injector seals as thats what was wrong with mine :)

Most of those hoses under mine were split; I replaced the lot with silicon vac pipe :)

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
Thought you had a Power Gasket to fit, James?

not got round to it yet damien... its getting replaced anyways, just trying to rule out some obvious things for my lumpy runing, retightened all fmic hoses today, some had worked slack and it runs infinatly better now, bag of spanners when cold, but good when warm, theres a definate hissing somewhere and its still running lean