T.I.P. pipe collapsing LCR 225

Kartracer69

Jul 18, 2009
Hi guys

I had my '05 Leon Cupra R re-mapped today at AmD is essex, the guys have done a great job, in only 50 miles on way home the torque is quite staggering, and the car feels a lot lighter and freer if that makes sense.

Anyway, a few problems arose on the rollers...

I have just put on THS silicone boose hoses, green panel filter, Forge 007p (I know these are very predictable and same as everyone else, but why be different when it works) but the car was holding back at high speed and something wasn't quite right.

A new MAF sensor and N75 were put on which made a difference, but the T.I.P. which is the standard, and I thought actually quite robust, was physically collapsing in front of their eyes under load.

There is no real way of seeing this without rolling road, and the car made 241 bhp after the remap, a figure which is likely to not only go up over the next few days as the ecu reads the map, but with an uprated TIP.

I have jsut ordered a THS TIP as I am impressed with the boost hoses, the price, the fit, the quality etc, and have been offered to go back on the rollers when it is put on (bit of a mission from where I live but def worth it)

So all in all, with all these mods we all have, it is good to make it reliable because these is no point in spending money when the results don't come as expected / desired.

Take care

James :D

Ps - The re-map, so far, is well worth it, the car drives so much smoother, also helps after new plugs, cambelt, filters and oil

Kartracer69

Jul 18, 2009
Yes I am aware it is a known-issue, but the boost hoses are physically squishy and poor, but the standard TIP is pretty sturdy as it is, it just goes to show it is too easy to throw a load of money at 'modding' only to realise the real need to uprate parts too.

It sounds boring and not that fun, but before banging on about uprated turbo's and interesting stuff, it is good to get the basics sorted first.

It is fine under normal driving and shouldn't cause an issue, but on the rollers obviously it matters. Normal driving is a resounding success so far and looking forward to getting it replaced and then see what power we get

DIZZYCUPRA

how would you know its failing without seeing it on a roling road?

Kartracer69

Jul 18, 2009
I didn't feel I was losing power as such - but there was something not quite right, it felt like it was holding back at high revs and not really doing much, It's hard to explain.

But put it this way, after 60k miles or so sucking in a not so strong rubber piping, it isn't strong enough to last so it may happen over time for most people.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Interesting as I would have thought you'd lose all power at that point. If it opens up the top end a bit then it can't be a bad thing.

I haven't taken my car beyond about 6k since getting the TIP fitted as I haven't been on that kind of drive yet, but think I'll have to take it up to the limiter to see if I notice a difference sometime soon.

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Whenever i have experienced it, it has been a feeling of being held back as it comes on boost, it collapses as the boost rises, so didn't feel like a sudden drop. As said above, its definately the most important hose to be fitted on the 225 for sure.

Kartracer69

Jul 18, 2009
^^^ As above, that's how it feels, quite similar to when the lambda sensor goes, without the stuttering, like you just run out of puff.

Part is on order - the reason I didn't change this first before the boost hoses was because the standard part actually feels quite robust and strong, and the boost hoses are physically squidgy. Lesson learnt, and will update in a few weeks as need to get it back on the rollers to see the difference

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
Sorry what is a TIP... i have a bog standard 225 and would changing this hose on mine be worth it?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Unlikely I'd have thought, I'd guess the boost levels are not high enough to cause the collapse. What pressure boost do the TDI's make?

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
No idea lol will have to do some digging, what sort of pressures does it take to make the pipe collapse?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.