TDI Chip tuning box

abtleon

SPEEDY
Mar 18, 2009
SWANSEA
Hi i have a TDI 110, and have fitted a chip tuning box off ebay !

The power seem's to be up, fuel slightly down, but been having problem's.

When first fitted the power was awesome, and is still good but not as much as when first fitted (may just be used to 148 BHP now) but she also triggered the engine management light's

Car light with like a lightning bolt through ( I think )
Light with what look's like a spring, or coil of some sort

Anyway i have tried to get them put out 3 times now, twice with my local mechanic and once recently at the main dealer, but to no avail !

Also for the first month or two, If you planted you'r foot on the go fast pedal, she would go like a rocket then into limp mode (thankfully she doesn't do this now)

Has anybody had this problem ?
Any ideas ?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Thi has been covered so many times I've lost count. Tuning boxes off Ebay are really good for a bit of extra power, and really good for knacking up your engine management system. All they do is fool the ecu into injecting more fuel and instead of a nice sweet engine you get warning lights.

Take it off (and chuck it away of you like), run it for a couple of weeks, get the engine management light turned off, and save up for a proper remap.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
^ What he said!!! btw did you put it on a rolling road before and after you fitted the ebay chip? Be very supprised if a £30 piece of plastic gave you an extra 40 horses!!

abtleon

SPEEDY
Mar 18, 2009
SWANSEA
No, didn't rolling road it, just saying it felt a lot more responsive and powerful !

I used to sell VW's, and to be honest it felt like a GT TDI 130.

And i paid £50 + postage.

Think i'll just take it off, and run it for 3 yrs and chop it in. (the missus wants a MK2 FR TDI or a viper green scirrocco)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members