TDI Faster for real world driving?

mada88

Hello,
Would a TDI Ibiza be faster than say a 2 litre petrol in real world driving? Unsure about getting a cupra tdi or a 2 litre N/A petrol.

spree

Why not compromise and go for the 1.8t?
The torque isn't as much as the tdi obviously but it has more bhp than the diesel and still more torque than most N/A cars. The only downside of the 1.8t is the greater fuel consumption and slightly higher insurance premiums.
A lot of 2.0 petrols would be just as quick as the turbos but generally require more rev's, so it depends on your driving style really.

mada88

Why not compromise and go for the 1.8t?
The torque isn't as much as the tdi obviously but it has more bhp than the diesel and still more torque than most N/A cars. The only downside of the 1.8t is the greater fuel consumption and slightly higher insurance premiums.
A lot of 2.0 petrols would be just as quick as the turbos but generally require more rev's, so it depends on your driving style really.

Yeah the 1.8T doesn't look that interesting to me really. I'm just wondering if the cupra TDI can hold its fun factor of overtaking people, or does it get boring after a while? Reving a N/A petrol all the time to get its performance must get tiresome after a while surely.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
Check other threads there are plenty of petrol vs diesel errrr debates:p

For me its no contest and im firmly in the "leave em behind in a cloud of black smoke" brigade:D

mada88

Check other threads there are plenty of petrol vs diesel errrr debates:p

For me its no contest and im firmly in the "leave em behind in a cloud of black smoke" brigade:D

I love that! You are quite literally shitting on them! lol

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hello,
Would a TDI Ibiza be faster than say a 2 litre petrol in real world driving? Unsure about getting a cupra tdi or a 2 litre N/A petrol.

I got a bollocking for mentioning street racing when i posted about how my cupra tdi stacks up to my mates civic type r.... so this now is totally theoretical. in a long flat straight line the type r is quicker.. but other than that, the cupra keeps up rather well.

People go on about how good the the civics handling is... and in dry im sure there right. But in the wet there awful, they get really bad understeer and lift off oversteer, it just isnt fun in the wet. And in this country it rains alot. The cupra tdi is a good all rounder, economical, fast enough, superb over taking machine.Just lacks a bit of top end pace.. but you really have to be breaking the law for that to be a consideration. :ban:

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
I got a bollocking for mentioning street racing when i posted about how my cupra tdi stacks up to my mates civic type r.... so this now is totally theoretical. in a long flat straight line the type r is quicker.. but other than that, the cupra keeps up rather well.

People go on about how good the the civics handling is... and in dry im sure there right. But in the wet there awful, they get really bad understeer and lift off oversteer, it just isnt fun in the wet. And in this country it rains alot. The cupra tdi is a good all rounder, economical, fast enough, superb over taking machine.Just lacks a bit of top end pace.. but you really have to be breaking the law for that to be a consideration. :ban:

Agree mostly about the TDi but they are not great in the wet either, imo. Lots of spinning up the wheels as the boost is on or off!

IMO, there is little difference in real world performance between a Cupra TDi and a 2.0 petrol (Clio 172 Cup). Okay, you need to rev the petrol to access the power but you also have to change gear a lot in the diesel due to the short powerband. The only difference is you don't need to change down in the diesel. For me, the advantage lies on the motorway at higher speeds where there is no gear changing required in the diesel.

Something to consider is how cheap it is to achieve large gains on the TDi compared to an NA petrol. £400 will remap the car to gain between 30-40bhp and loads of torque where as the petrol will be lucky to gain 8bhp and 8lbs/ft of torque. CTR...what CTR?!

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Agree mostly about the TDi but they are not great in the wet either, imo. Lots of spinning up the wheels as the boost is on or off!

IMO, there is little difference in real world performance between a Cupra TDi and a 2.0 petrol (Clio 172 Cup). Okay, you need to rev the petrol to access the power but you also have to change gear a lot in the diesel due to the short powerband. The only difference is you don't need to change down in the diesel. For me, the advantage lies on the motorway at higher speeds where there is no gear changing required in the diesel.

Something to consider is how cheap it is to achieve large gains on the TDi compared to an NA petrol. £400 will remap the car to gain between 30-40bhp and loads of torque where as the petrol will be lucky to gain 8bhp and 8lbs/ft of torque. CTR...what CTR?!

Ive not had much trouble putting the power down tbh, of course there gonna spin up if you try and hammer all the power down in first gear. But it certainly has better traction than the type r. And no hint of oversteer. Could be the brand new set of toyo proxes though :drool:

Hopefully fitting forge strut brace tomorrow! If it stops raining for more than 15 mins. Be interesting to see what effect i notice.

mada88

Yeah you have to be careful with the whole racing thing on this forum. Rules are rules though.

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Other sites are more "layed" back on the subject :rolleyes: but oh well lol

Other sites are full of chav twits posting videos of themselves trying it on with BMW's etc.

As for getting the power down, I'm talking 1st through 3rd gear. Spins fairly easily on some some wet surfaces and my tyres are in good shape. (Potenzas) Easily done in most cars with more than 150hp I guess. Handles well though!

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Hello,

2.0 8v mk4 ibiza is pretty gutless to be honest. Was on a track session at castle combe a few years ago with a mate of mine who had the 2.0 8v and he barely pulled away on the straight. I had a 1.4 75hp at the time.

He got a TDi sport 130 not long after that lol.

I'm with Damo, get the Cupra TDi, and I'm also a petrolhead lol. :lol:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Yeah you have to be careful with the whole racing thing on this forum. Rules are rules though.

So i gather :lol:

Other sites are more "layed" back on the subject :rolleyes: but oh well lol

We have forum rules for good reasons. :)

EXAMPLES OF WHAT IS DEEMED IMPROPER AND UNWELCOME ON SCN

1). Those whose conduct on the forum is deemed to be criminally illegal, or even bordering upon it. ie Stolen goods, theft of money or items, scams.

2). Racist, sexual, religious or political abuse, actual violence or inciting violence, any abuse or bullying whether it be physical or mental towards anyone for any reason, whether they are resident to the forum or not.

3). Anything that could or may be legally challenged, including defamation of character, slander or libelous content. (Please think carefully before you decide to use this forum as your soapbox. SEATCupra.net will not defend you should the police/solicitors come knocking).

4). Worthless threads, stupid stunts or bragging rights. ie My car is quicker than your car, or versus threads

5). Street Racing/Drag racing on public roads. Essentially this comes under stupid stunts and bragging rights. But we wanted to make this point a little clearer. While we realise people do stretch the law on the public highways and that is their personal prerogative to do so. It does not mean we condone its glorification on these forums. These types of threads/posts will be removed, keep it to the racetrack/sprint/dragstrips because otherwise we're really not interested.

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
As said before, the old 8v 2.0 engine is pretty poor for its capacity, really gutless low end, and in general..

if you couldn't stretch to a 1.8T, then i (a diesel hater) wouldy undoubtedly choose a decent TDI, even something like a PD100 :)

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I think i really comes down to driving styles. The tdi prob feels faster because the boast comes on really quick and is a breeze for overtaking so your more likly to use its performance :) The petrol will suit the driver who likes to plan ahead and loves to rev to the red line :D

Oh the Tdi sounds like a tractor on tickover :cry:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members