Tdi noise on hot day

pg_allen

My 2.0 tdi makes a fairly loud tapping and hissing noise when the engine gets up to temperature on a very hot day such as today.
Normally this happens when outside temperatures are high twentys.
It sounds like this noise comes from underneath the engine and can be best heard from the side of the car. Its really odd and can't place my finger on it.
When I have the bonnet open and listen to it from above the engine I can hardy hear it at all. From the side of the car, it sounds like the engine is knackered.
This happened last summer and the one before. Fine during the rest of the year. Odd aye.

Does this happen to anyone else? and does any one know what the noise is?

Im completely baffled :confused:

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
i know this is a stupid question but you don't happen to have the aircon on when your hearing these sounds? would link in nicely with the only happens on hot days ect ect. The aircon does tend to make a hissing noise not sure about the tappign though :s

pg_allen

I have my climate control on auto all year round. When the system is set to auto, I guess the aircon is permanently running. Even so, it only gets noisy when it is a very hot day. The noise reminds me of a car that's about to blow up in the original grand theft auto game! It's quite embarrasing. Il try mucking about with the air con later when it gets nice and hot and I'll see what happens.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
lol that doesnt sound great lol failing that wait untill a hot day and take it over to seat and ask them to have a look. I doubt it would be the aircon but sometimes it does work out the simple things lol Just switch it to econ wait for a min or so then switch the whole thing off then see what it sounds like. Just an idea good luck

pg_allen

Ok thanks I'll try that. I'll let you know what happens later on.

It still may be the aircon as it has to work extra hard on a day like today. If I can't sus it out i'll take it to seat. Like I say it's always done it on a hot day and never done it any harm. It's just noisy and odd.

Pesders

Mk2 Leon TDi and Mk1 MX-5
Jul 16, 2008
Funnily enough mine has just started doing exactly the same. I was going to take it to SEAT to have a look but thought I would try on here first beforehand. If I find out what is causing it I will let you know.

Peter

pg_allen

Yeah that wud be helpful. Cheers pete.

At least I'm not the only one. I reckon it's more of a characteristic than a problem. I reckon it's common thing too!

pg_allen

I got an opinion from a mechanic and he thinks it's either the drive belt that drives the compressor or the compressor is working too hard.

He said in hot weather the compressor works very hard so there is more strain on the drive belt and it is more likely to slip.

He also said that the compressor maybe overstressing, but I don't understand how it could overstress. Surely the compressor would have limits as to how hard it is allowed to work and they wouldn't design it to be able to overstress itself.

It doesn't sound like a slipping belt to me. It sounds like more of a hissing metallic tapping noise.

I'm pretty sure the problem/noise is airconditioning related now as the noise goes away soon after the off button is pressed and comes back as soon as the aircon is switched on.

This explains why it is noisy on a hot day because the system is working much harder.

Pesders

Jul 16, 2008
Took the car in on Saturday. Sent my Fiancee in to get somebody so that they could come and listen to the noise (as previously arranged). They spent so long asking her questions (is it still in warranty, did you buy it here etc) even though she kept going saying "just come out and listen and we can sort that out afterwards" that by the time they came out the car had cooled down and it had stopped making the noise. Now they can't replicate the noise. Not happy.

Having said that one of the technicians did say on Saturday that it may have something to do with the flywheel and something that warps in the heat and rubs and he did mention he had seen similar things in the past. We shall see.

Never had a SEAT before, but the service isn't matching up to the Honda service we got on the car before.

Peter

Pesders

Jul 16, 2008
The dealer thinks that they have solved the problem - it was a plate by the fly wheel which gets warped when it is hot and then makes the noise. This apparently can be modified so that it no longer makes the noise. We shall see whether this cured ot or not when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Did you get your noise sorted out and if so what was the problem?

Peter

Pesders

Jul 16, 2008
I hope that this helps somebody - I now have the description of the problem from the invoice I was given by the dealer. It says that;

"...found noise to be from an intermediate plate between engine and gearbox which when hot gets distorted and rubs against back of fly wheel."

The fix was to "carry out modification to position of plate"

I haven't yet had the opportunity of going on a long jourmey to see whether it has solved the problem but will post here when I have.

Peter

pg_allen

Hello Pete

Was wondering if that problem ever came back in the end. Have you heard the funny noise since the modification to the plate?

The noise came back this year on my car on a hot ish day. I haven't ever had the problem seen to by anyone. Its never caused any mechanical harm apart from the noise.

Cheers!!!

Pesders

Jul 16, 2008
No, the noise hasn't come back since they did the modification, so it looks like this sorted out the problem.

Peter

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
This is exactly what I've been posting about trying to figure out in the past.. It's now really bad in my car.
This info will be great to give Jim at starperformance when I'm getting the timing belt done.

Cheers,

Graeme

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Well guys this was fixed on my car :D

When Seat say "Modified position of plate" they mean.. "bent plate away from flywheel"

Apparently this is done by loosening the gear casing and you can just get your hand to it although it is really awkward. There was evidence on the flywheel where the contact was being made. The plate I think is aluminium so presumably soft enough not to have caused any damage.

Mine was fixed by Star-performance in Kirkaldy so for anyone else who experiences this and can manage to visit them they know exactly how to sort it.

I'm surprised this isn't a more widespread issue.

Thanks for this thread guys and especially Pesders, your information was invaluable.

nealo

Oct 12, 2007
Guisborough
This is exactly what I've been posting about trying to figure out in the past.. It's now really bad in my car.
This info will be great to give Jim at starperformance when I'm getting the timing belt done.

Cheers,

Graeme

Does anyone know if the same could happen to a 1.9 PD160? My car's been ticking quietly for a year or so but i've ignored it. Everyone I mentioned it to said they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I've had it from new so know it sounds different to how it used to sound.
After a wash at the weekend the ticking became very loud. It's noisiest when heard from the driver's side wheel arch.
Help! :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.