The 315PS Cupra! (56K Beware!)

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
I think just maybe put the pump on now it should still run better and wait for the code. Should be along soon as they are a large company, been going for years and have always supplied a good product.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Not that it helps anyone here, but i know GIAC offer a revised code when you have HPFP, so don,t see why such a large company like Revo can,t/won,t do it.

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Looks excellent - mean but discrete. Sadly the thing I would be most keen to know is where you got the teddy! :)

Rob

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Basically, the HPFP lifts the fuel delivery in the mid-range, The lower end and upper end of the rev range are largely unaffected.

But for example my car produces around an extra 40-50hp right across it's midrange than it did without the HPFP. As we know mid-range is where you spend most of your time anyway.

hi mark,

can you (or awesomeanybody) clarify for me please.

as i understood it, the hpfp is a positive displacement pump, ie it will produce the same volume of fuel every rotation of the camshaft. this is obviously greater than the oem one.

adding a hpfp itself shouldnt increase the power of a car. the extra fuel it can deliver can only be utilised by a different map (opening injectors earlier/longer etc).

you did go stage 2 at the same time you replaced your fuel pump didnt you?
also, i cant remember you replcing you ic yet either have you?

i'd like to get these wrinkles ironed out in my mind as i think apr is the way i'm going to go :D.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
hi mark,

can you (or awesomeanybody) clarify for me please.

as i understood it, the hpfp is a positive displacement pump, ie it will produce the same volume of fuel every rotation of the camshaft. this is obviously greater than the oem one.

adding a hpfp itself shouldnt increase the power of a car. the extra fuel it can deliver can only be utilised by a different map (opening injectors earlier/longer etc).

you did go stage 2 at the same time you replaced your fuel pump didnt you?
also, i cant remember you replcing you ic yet either have you?

i'd like to get these wrinkles ironed out in my mind as i think apr is the way i'm going to go :D.

Yer I did go stage 2. But APR do a stage 2 file without pump for the Golf 30's, so Jim told me. But the code hadn't been compiled for the Cupra's ECU.

However it became obvious mine needed stage 2 to take full advantage of the APR exhaust. So in the end my only option was to go for the pump version which had been compiled to get a stage 2 map.

But i have noticed Golf 30's with pump files produce higher figures, so there is still work to be done on mine.

I believe the pump file is able to lift the power in the mid-range, where it wouldn't be possible otherwise due to fuel cutoff. REVO and others appear to get much higher peak power but they may not be pulling the same power levels in the mid-range and sustaining them.

I need to get my logging head on really and go and do some analysis. But been a bit busy of late. :rolleyes:

However it could well be the IC that prevents mine pushing more power, but then it also needs a decent intake now.

Its a slippery slope. :headhurt:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
The HPFP actually provides a higher volume of fuel rather than increase the pressure so to speak.

On a mapped car, 130 Bar may be requested from the pump by the ECU, but you might find less than 100 Bar is delivered by a standard pump at the point when high boost is requested.

Requested fuel pressure will be met by an uprated pump with no problems anywhere in the rev range.

ooh, now your contradicting yourself, and this is where the confusion arrises.

a fixed delivery pump can only supply more fuel, not greater pressure fuel. its like a piston in a cylinder, it only moves up and down shifting the same amount of air/fuel/whatever each cycle.
pressure is generated as a result of restriction of flow.
does the ecu not request an increased volume of fuel to be squirted in, as oppose to fuel at a higher pressure.

i just thought the new pump (hpfp) was badly named as it actually provides extra volume not pressure.

still :confused::shrug::(:help::headhurt:.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
My car was used by Revo to develop the stage 2 code, and I've been trying to get a straight answer regarding 2+ for months now, now don't get me wrong here, I think that stage 2 is marvellous, but I was promised that if I fitted the HPFP, they'd use my car to develop 2+, but all I'm getting from Revo are evasive answers, 1st, oh we're busy developing the new 1.8 tsi code, fair enough, then the guy responsible was on holiday/in the states, ok, after many phone calls, I pm'd Kev, here's his reply:

"You haven't got an efficient intercooler on it though, the car was heatsoaking as it was... tuning on it isn't going to work as a stage2+ file will run the same as you have but more in the midrange meaning more heat. It would be fine to run on your car but tuning on it the car would suffer too much from heatsoak. To do a full Stage2+ file we need to use a car that has 'everything' on it so that the maximum potential can be attained. Then cars that aren't running all the components can run lower settings.
Thus why we need a car with an IC on as well."

The fact that my car was heatsoaking was never mentioned to me, either on the phone or when talking to Kev at the Inters, I can't afford a twintercooler, or an S3 i/c, so I'm left a little bit disappointed by all of this, if this had been mentioned at the Inters, then I might have been able to raise some extra funds, but now, hmmm....
He also told me that they've got a misfire on stage 1 08 Cupras, but not 07 Cupras, weird...

Has it been on a RR since you had the pump installed. I thought you had seen a improvement on the road just with the pump installation. I know in truth it needs the map tweaking now to spread the power band more efficiently.

But in all fairness this is what car modifying is like really. You do things that ultimately lead to other requirements and development takes time to perfect.

Mine is still running a stock IC as you know, but mine produces lower peak figures than yours, if my map was tweaked to produce more peak power I'm pretty sure it would require an uprated IC. With the almost non existent summer we have suffered this year, as yet I've not experienced anything I could identify as heatsoak.

But an IC is very much on my to do list. Having run an uprated cooler on my Cupra R, I am fully sold on their advantages.

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
It's on my to do list to, trouble is lack of funds, gonna have to sell a few things before buying a new I/C :(

Al

Aug 29, 2005
What prices have you been quoted for the S3 core out of interest?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
flow and pressure are two different but often confused things.
pressure is generated by restriction of flow, in this instance by closed injectors. the pump could still be doing 1000 cycles a minute, but if its just pumping the fuel from its outlet into a bucket there will be next to no pressure. when its pumping againt closed injectors pressure is generated.
remember, a pump does not generate pressure, it generates flow.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's on my to do list to, trouble is lack of funds, gonna have to sell a few things before buying a new I/C :(

We all know you pain on that score. I've loads I want and need to do but currently not got a pot to piss in with regards to modding. Overtime is always thin on the ground during the summer hols. But should start to pick up. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members