The Real Reason your Pollen Filter Leaks

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
After the heavy rainfall at the beginning of the week i went out to my car and it was all misted up AGAIN!!!!! Funny me thinks, as i had the door seals done early this year, so should not have happened.

So i started the car and put the fan on, this made it worse by a huge amount, far far worse than normal, it was like the fan was bringing the water in.

I initially inspected the pollen filter and it was bone dry, strange i thought, but just as i was about to put it back together i noticed water in the bottom of the heater / fan housing, that was strange!!! So i got the water out using a face flannel, not mine may i add. And it took 4 or 5 attempts to get the water out.

Upon further inspection i noticed that the pollen filter housing is mounted on a bulkhead under the bonnet, and this is mounted over a sponge!!! a feckin sponge!!!! so after pouring more water over the windscreen i watched in amazement as the water drained down and through the sponge and into the heater!!! NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!!!

So I now have to get the thing out and modify the bottom of it and replace the sponge with generous amounts of silicone so to stop this.

As for the rest of the water ingress, i.e. the misty windows, i just dont know!

I'm at my wits end with this car now and want to get rid of it, its been problem after problem!

Rant mode off now

Hope this helps others with a water problem around the heater

Regards

SJFisher67

Marc

RRRaring to go
Sep 16, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Leon.

Although it was self inflicted due to me putting an amp/bass speaker in and wiring passed the pollen filter, but when I put the rubber seal (that sits over the filter) back it didn't sit correctly over the filter, hence the leak.

After realigning the Seal the misting stopped and I had no more water leaks.

It might be worth checking that your seal is correctly positioned over the filter.

Hope this helps

:cheers:

Marc

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yep there is usually a shiny plastic blade that clips onto the side of the pollen filter box, this deflects the water away.

I found this out after wiring my amp and headunit, and like Marc says ended up fitting it wrong, and ended up with a wet passenger floor carpet :(

Anyway after re aligning it all and putting the deflector back in the correct place, and the seals, its never happened since.

jw

bizzare, I have just had practically the same problem on my 1.4 (which i had last year as well), however the water gushed in to the footwell and also killed my fan which meant i could'nt clear the screen for the love of enough paper towel.

Unfortunatly this is the last time i will tolerate a fault with this car so a rather long letter of complaint has been shoved in the direction of SEAT. And depending on their response i will then decide to go another route to get compensation, then flog the car, and never buy another car from the current line up from Seat again. Also the garage advised me to write the letter of complaint and ask for reasonable financial damages, ie a service paid for.

bleurgh, i dont like to moan but... its now starting to grate me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jw

i would also like to point out that i dont fiddle with my car, i stick to what im good at. And leave fixing cars to the professionals

speed_uk

barnstormer
Oct 24, 2001
LONDON
Visit site
I left my cupra in at the start of april to get the washer jet mounts fixed in properly and for some reason they had the top off the pollen filter and of course they didn`t replace it correctly:eek:

this caused the windows to steam , wet carpet, no heater:mad:

the passenger side was under 1/2`` of water.

it destroyed the floor mat. which was only replaced 2 weeks ago:rolleyes: . now the illumination swich has given up the ghost so
somtimes the doors and the climate control won`t lite up:confused: .

it`s going in sometime in the next couple of weeks:jog: .

speedy:devil:

p.s i don`t fiddle with the car either:devil:

jimlum

Thabks this is really helpful as i too have had a sub installed (professionally and this seems to be my problem too i will try to re allign the seal around the pollen filter! thanks again

stuart86

Mar 14, 2006
West London
www.britishmods.com
Thabks this is really helpful as i too have had a sub installed (professionally and this seems to be my problem too i will try to re allign the seal around the pollen filter! thanks again

your first post and i can tell you used the search function (due to the age od the post lol).. well done fella and enjoy the site.

as said i had a wet footwell but realised a re-alignment of my pollen filter cover was all that was needed to sort it out :)

VeeFourTee

Had the same problem. Got a dealer to fix it along with a reseal of the bulkhead seam behind the fusebox. At last, a dry car. Search this forum using 'Bulkhead Seam' for wet driver's footwells if you've already had your door seals done.

dajackos

bulkhead

Mine was leaking due to the bulkhead not being sealed prop took stealer 3 attempts to sort it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.