The Santa Pod Grudge Match LC vs CTR vs ST

JamJay

California Bound
I found the CTR's lack or torque to be it's down fall from a standing start (ex Civic owner here). In the dry, the LCR got the power down alot quicker and the CTR couldn't pull back the distance (a couple of car lengths, minimal I admit). On a rolling start, there wasn't much in it, I inched forwards, then the CTR and so forth. However, in the bends, I got eaten as the independant rear suspension on the CTR is much better than the beam on the LCR.

I think, in most cases with similarly powered cars, it's down to the way you drive. Not being a stranger to the track, I know where the limits are.

Last edited:

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
All down to driver with them both, so one day one will win, and vice versa.. Had both for 3 years a piece and did over 90,000 in both too, so have a little experience with them.. lol
Found the CTR to be ever so slightly quicker once over three figures..

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
All down to driver with them both, so one day one will win, and vice versa.. Had both for 3 years a piece and did over 90,000 in both too, so have a little experience with them.. lol
Found the CTR to be ever so slightly quicker once over three figures..

What about when the LCR was remapped?

Unfair I know but I'm interested in knowing the difference...

strugers1

i think i going on the 22nd..
i got a derv though lol
and ill be looking at a 14.4ish might see you there
the ctr's are pretty nippy actually but due to no torque there very good at getting moving where as i personally struggle very much until3rd gear

strugers1

well when i went in jan ok it was damp but i could not get the torque down at all it just span where as my mates ctr did not spin and then v-tech kicked in and he was off
m ust admit my hybrid map is way better so its so much faster off the line now

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
What about when the LCR was remapped?

Unfair I know but I'm interested in knowing the difference...

Yeah the LCR was quicker once mapped, but not by as much as you would think. You get a good driver in the CTR and a not so good driver in a mapped LCR and there won't be a lot in it, trust me.. :blink:
Problem with the CTR is you have to know how to get the best out of it (ie rev to limiter, quick on the changes etc). There are sooo many out there with numptys behind the wheel that can't and will end up having a TDI snapping at it's heals when in the wrong gear etc.
The CTR may have a low torque figure, but don't let that fool you, as it has all it's torque where it's needed (high revs). So once in higher gears 4th,5th etc, it is in its power band for longer, where as a LCR for instance will have it's peak torque at say 3-4k and when accelerating through the higher gears it will be sat most of the time at 5k +, thus not having as much as a torque advantage as you would think.. Rememeber, its not about peak figures, it's where they are produced and for how long.. ;)

Just as an example. I ran a 14.2 @ 99mph in the LCR when mapped (14.0 when back seats out) and I ran a 14.5 @ 97mph in the CTR in full road trim..

Last edited:

Jonezyfr

Sep 27, 2008
ctr's are so close geared, rule the ST out, too much torque to get a good launch.

my money is on the ctr, which shape is it? just hope he forgets to warm it up and the vtec hasnt come on yet.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
this is shredding my confidence vs ctrs :(

my car weighs 1850kg + my soundsystem (very heavy) and my weight... i think il lose on a lot of fronts here :(

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Civic type-r's are only quick in the hands of a good driver.

I came up against an EP3 at Santa Pod earlier this month. Im sure if he could drive he would have tashed me. I ended up beating him, and by a fair way too.

I think seeing as youve already run a 14.6, if its dry you will have no problem with the type-r
The ST on the other hand, will be quick i'd imagine.

strugers1

my mates one is fast even with my hybrid ok with a boost leak (which is now fixed) from 30mph he came past at110 and i could not do anything to bring him back
he just has a behind the bumper inducion kit
but the cars vary too remember my other mate has a lcr which pulls away from me and leaves me standing and he does the same to my other mates standard lcr
yet it run standard figures and it leaves my mates ctr too

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
he says its pops and farts

Doesnt mean its quick. Im not 100% on this one, but is that not a bad thing? Is this not just unburnt fuel igniting as it passes through the exhaust?

If so then its surely a sign of a poor remap?

My word certainly isnt gospel as im not a petrol man myself.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members