The Wait is Over

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
until you want to reverse with the door open (to avoid a bollard etc) and then it wont let you... or when it locks solid on on the drive for no apparent reason and wont let you go anywhere (happened on my wifes Mark 7 golf)
they are terrible, the worst bit Is people get used to them, then when they get into a car without they forget to put the handbrake on

Last edited:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
until you want to reverse with the door open (to avoid a bollard etc) and then it wont let you... or when it locks solid on on the drive for no apparent reason and wont let you go anywhere (happened on my wifes Mark 7 golf)
they are terrible, the worst bit Is people get used to them, then when they get into a car without they forget to put the handbrake on

The Leon will let you reverse with the door open, just deselect auto handbrake and release the brake manually.

I wanted to hate the electric brake when I got the car, but can't. It just works and does what it is supposed to. If it ever fails to release, then I may change my mind.....lol

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The Leon will let you reverse with the door open, just deselect auto handbrake and release the brake manually.

I wanted to hate the electric brake when I got the car, but can't. It just works and does what it is supposed to. If it ever fails to release, then I may change my mind.....lol

The one in my previous 62 Passat was hopeless. Would come on when you didn't want it to and vice versa. Current 16 plate works a lot better , although I still find myself leaving it in gear... Just in case... :D

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have had no issues with the electric handbrake and I too was a sceptic to begin with. As said you can reverse with the door open, just requires releasing manually as you would with a standard brake.

I do tend to leave it in gear on inclines but this is something that should be done imo anyway as any handbrake can fail.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Nice car :)

Give it a thousand or so miles and hopefully, you'll be creak free. Mine has developed a louder door creak than my 280 SC had, although I agree on the improvement in quality generally.

Scott

I will be gutted Scott if it does develop a door creak. I was one of the lucky 280 owners who never encountered that problem, fingers crossed.....lol

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
E-brake used like mechnical handbrake?

Without the obvious answer of 'with skill,' any ideas how does this work if you have parallel parked up an incline and you need to reverse your way backways up (and out of a parking space) in a manual from parking? As far as I know, hill hold doesn't work if you roll forward trying to reverse up an incline.

I'm guessing the e-handbrake is fully on or fully release, and you cannot do an a la old school handbrake style, vary the level of handbrake hold you require to move the car without bashing into the car ahead?

Eg...on a steep incline, on a manual, you pull the old school handbrake to the required position (doesn't need to be max), clutch and gas, and as you are just about to pull away without rolling back, you drop the handbrake. Can you do the same with the e-brake?

My current and last Seat had mechinical handbrake, and my future car may have an E-brake, so just wondering.

Last edited:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I believe that the handbrake will automatically disengage once the required amount of force is applied when pulling away I.e. it will never drag the back wheels like you coukd effectively do with a manual brake. I could be wrong though. They're about the only situations I tend to miss a manual brake

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
Lovely motor, in the best colour too.

Much prefer the aesthetics of an electronic handbrake, a nicer clean centre console. I think a manual one stands out like a sore thumb on modern cars now...don't forget we used to have chokes sticking out dashboards once upon a time! I've had a Passat CC which was slightly cumbersome with it's e-handbrake, as the switch was by the headlight control, but otherwise worked fine.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.