Thinking about a second hand Toledo 2.3 V5 any advice?

sdds_8

Hello, I'm new to the forums and am looking for some advice.

I'm currently thinking about the Toledo V5 (around 2000-2001 model budget of up to £4000), Bora V5 or 1.8T and the Skoda Octavia 1.8T.

The Toledo seems to be a very good value used purchase as it is loaded with all the things I want such as cruise control, climate control ect. A Toledo V5 150BHP would cost me less than a similar Bora or Skoda 1.8T 150BHP.

From a driving point of view, how does the V5 150bhp engine compare with the 1.8T 150Bhp? Obviously the 1.8T can be remapped higher. I could always spend a little more and try to find the V5 170bhp model but would I be better off getting the 1.8T?

I'm planning on freeing up some cash by selling my 2004 fabia vRS 1.9TDi 130bhp. I'd quite like a slightly bigger car and one that performs just as well.

Any advice?

Thanks
Bradley

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hi Bradley,

I hope someone with a V5 150 can answer your question soon. I have just recently picked up the 170 version and love it to bits. The power delivery is very smooth and torquey, I imagine the 150 will be quite similar. I have only had experience of the 1.8T in an ibiza cupra which was 156BHP. That was also a great engine and of course very upgradable with a remap. Best bets is always to try and get a test drive of each model if possible as everyones opinion will be different and at the end of the day, it's what suits you best that counts.

skinnylew

Mar 19, 2007
South east london
Skoda is a nice car with the added bonus of being a hatchback version of the toledo in essence. Problem is you pay more for them in my experience, i wanted to get a 110bhp TDi as i loved driving my dads but they were double the price of my V5

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
It really depends what you are after. I personally very much like the way mine drives (remapped 10v) - it is torquey, refined and relaxed. Some of the common faults I really find a bit annoying but I would have one any day over the Bora. There's no question that whether you get a 10v or a 20v they are a real bargain. I would miss the luxuries and the kit you get with the V5. That said if you want the potential for a bigger power gain as you like the thought of remapping then you have to consider the 1.8T (even though you'll superficially get less value for money). Unfortunately I have not really seen figures for a remapped 20v V5 but I guess you could expect about 185 bhp tops, with little prospect of getting much more.

sdds_8

Thanks for the replies,

I'm leaning heavily towards the Toledo V5 as it really does seem to offer the best value for money. As was mentioned, they can be found at a cheaper price than the 1.8T Octavia and offer just as much if not more for the money.

I must confess I am also thinking about the Volvo S40 T4 or 2.0T as they are quite cheap to buy second hand, very powerful but don't offer the level of equipment that that is found in the Toledo.

petert

Toledo 2,3 V5 for sure

I just bought one at the 29th of sept. 2007 (Toledo V5 sport, 17" wheels, 150 bhp, 205 Nm torque) from may 2000. 83000 kilometers. and I realy like it! Of course the 170 hp, 225 Nm will be faster, but trust me: you won't miss that at all when you're driving your 150 hp, like a road king.

I haven't driven the 1,8 T myself, although I drove with somebody in an Audi TT 1.8T and its fast. 230 kilom. per hour: very easy. And I've been told that its torque of 235 Nm is available from low to high rpm's.

But again: my prediction is you won't miss it in your Toledo V5 150 bhp. Because it's just very fast and reactive in the lows too! It's very quit and easy, until you step on it: you get the grumpy sound of a 5 or 6 cil. motor and you are in a rocket! You feal like nothing less than anything else (although of course there are faster cars around, but not many!).

The V5 is powerfull and seems to know no stress at all. The smaller 1,8 T will have more stress in itself and also because of the turbo, to achieve the same speed and acceleration. I prefer the V5 for it's extremely easy, souvereign and powerfull drive!

And I've read a review (2002) of This Seat V5 170 Bhp, against the Volvo S40 2.0 T. The Toledo won: it's the better drivers car! And as you say: you get more luxury for less money.

It will drink a bit more than you may like, but I read someone's review, who said that it's common for engines with this volume and power and for cars with this weight, which isn't very much (1278 kilograms). I don't know that by experience... It does an averedge of 11 liters/ 100 km (63 miles) at 150 kilom. per hour (95 miles an hour). It will use under 9 liters(8,7) / 63 miles at a speed of 75 mph. You can 'remap' this engine to aproximately 165 bhp and 230 Nm. Then, when you drive like normal, it will use apr. 5% less fuell because it runs more efficiently. And: when you don't step on the pedal too hard in daily traffic, you allready go faster than most people...

On the official sites I read a slightly more positive usage. So it scared me a bit when I first drove it: but it's worth it, believe me. You feel great in this car.

Peter Tulp, holland.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdds_8

Thanks for the reply. I havent yet heard a bad thing about the Toledo V5! I think its between this and the Octavia 1.8T now!

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
When I was car hunting a year or so ago, I was also considering the Skoda, the Bora and the Toledo V5. The Toledo won over the other two for price and kit - the V5 has just about everything you could need. Trouble was, I then discovered the 20VT, and found I could get one that was two years newer than the V5 for the same price. OK, I do without cruise control and sat nav, and/or electric seats, but I do get a 6 speed box, another 10BHP and a second off the 0-60 time. And the kids would have ruined the alcantara seats anyway...In the 1.8T you do occasionally get caught out in lower revs before the turbo kicks in, but most of the available torque is there from 2000 rpm anyway, so it's not exactly the most peaky engine around. The surge in 4th gear is guaranteed to put a smile on anyone's face. You also get traction control, electronic diff, electronic break force distribution, etc, which I know have got me out of at least one hairy moment. Plus, there's so much more potential for tuning, from mild to, er, mental. Custom Code remap on the 20th should see me with approx 200BHP (hopefully!), and the fun will start all over again.
Having said all that, whichever one you go for, you won't be disappointed, I guarantee.

Rog.

nak

May 13, 2006
Recognized

So you made a choice between Toledo V5 and Skoda Octaiva 1.8T, both nice cars, exactly the same choice i made about year and half ago, both have ties with the vw group, which one's getting more recognized, i think its the SEAT, even paticipating in vw shows now, but the choice is yours.

sdds_8

Thanks for the replies,

I think now it kind of comes down to the price I can find one for! That will be the deciding factor I think!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.