Those with VR6 / G60 conversion

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Just wondering if your clutch is noisy when the engine is idling? (and goes away after about 5 minutes of driving)

Mines been on for about 3 days now and iv done about 300 miles, first noticed it the first day I had it, sounded like the release bearing was shot, but its gradually become quieter now iv done some milage.

Hoping its because its still "bedding in"

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Mine sort of vibrates abit if you dont put enough revs down when you pull away but its not excessivly noisey. Ive done just over 1k on it now aswell.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Cheers for the responses, I knew it was going to make some noise, but not as much as it did when it was first fitted, it sounded like something was wrong to be honest, but it seems to have become quieter... other than that it woks fine and im really pleased with it.

Mine judders abit setting off as well cupramillo, I guess ill get used to it after another week or so, its just that the clutch I had before was so heavy on the pedal and was quite frankly terrible, made the car feel like it weighed as much as a tank.

Apr 12, 2008
You are in a massive minority then. They chatter because the single mass flywheel is lighter and has no damper like the dual mass one. Its normal and wont cause any problems.

Hmm...yes, i was expecting that SMF would be lighter..but it wasnt..it was the same weight as dual mass...and on vr6 clutch there are springs on the clutch disc which absorb the vibrations and it works superb..
My standard clutch disc didnt have any springs on it...

Neale

Aug 26, 2007
Elgin, Scotland
Yup mine has a knocking noise upon start up and after its warmed up it goes away as i was worried when i first heard it after fitting it

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Hmm...yes, i was expecting that SMF would be lighter..but it wasnt..it was the same weight as dual mass...and on vr6 clutch there are springs on the clutch disc which absorb the vibrations and it works superb..
My standard clutch disc didnt have any springs on it...

Did you weigh them? The smf should be lighter than the dmf even in standard form. The dampening is for the input shaft which is what chatters. Means they dont have to balance things quite so well when its manufactured I believe.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
No problems with my single mass flywheel and spec clutch. Made some extra noise but I put that down to the new mounts I had put in at the same time.

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
No problems with my single mass flywheel and spec clutch. Made some extra noise but I put that down to the new mounts I had put in at the same time.

Wich spec have you got philw?

Same as above, VT engine mounts at the same time so a "small" increase in vibration.

Prebs

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Same as Phil, got VT engine mounts (race front, fast road rear & gearbox) and a Helix setup with a 6.5 KG SMF. It chatters on idle but nothing excessive, like a very light whirring/grinding noise

R4cup

Beef NO Burger
Jul 28, 2006
In the garage
I also experienced a little nosie from the box for the first couple of hundred miles but not so noisey now & done well over 15k with it now.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.