'Ticking' noise coming from Pollen Filter area.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Hey guys!

First of all... no its not a bomb!

Ive got this really annoyying ticking/clicking noise coming from the Pollen filter area of my car. If tried taking it out and cleaning it and its still always there (although it did once disappear for 5 minutes once the PF was out)

The ticking speeds up with the rate of the fan (as though something is hitting the blades), however it gets about 3x louder when the Recirculation is on.

Im assuming some leaf or something is stuck in there. My question is - WHERE!! How far are the fans from the PF or could something else be making this noise??

Cheers me dears!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Tried using a hoover both where the pollen filter is and sucking through the vents in turn with the others closed?

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
cool, will try that, cheers mate!

Ibiza_Evo2 - how did you remove yours?

Failing that ill put the AC on full whack and try to freeze the bugger out!

Ibiza Evo 2

220,8hp and 351lbs/ft
Jun 1, 2004
get-me.to
I didn't...the sound stopped by itself somehow:confused:
But the pollen filter has to be replaced soon and i will tell the dealer to look at it.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Ed - mine did it once or twice, went away after a while. Suspect it was a leaf that gradually got worn away by the fan :)

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
Just fitted a new pollen filter, noise still there.
Can confirm its not a dirty filter now..it must be the fan motor!:shrug:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
ive got a leaf noise in my fans but i can only hear it when ive just turnedthem off and they are slowing down so im not bothered

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
I was thinking of miltek cat back:)

i love my miltek! sounds ace! havent heard it for the last two weeks as im driving under 2000revs as my internals are fooked on turbo will hear it for sure soon tho :p il have the sports cat for sale soon ;)

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
I know it sound stupid wat the difference between resonated ansd non resonated? and which one u have:confused:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Fixed it guys!!

Its quite simple really and it WAS a dried up leaf in the centre of the centrifugal fan. Heres how to fix:

Get your head down beneath the dashboard with a torch and lookupwards. If you turn on the re-circulation, the re-circ clap will open and then you can get your hand right inside the fan. Its a centrifugal fan so the offending leaf was stuck inside and wouldnt have come out.

TURN OFF THE FAN AND IGNITION!! I just then carefully put my hand inside and had a feel around, however you could just put in a vacuum cleaner or similar.

Heres a few pic of what it looks like with re-circ OFF... (NB: the box-shape at the top of the images is the bottom of the glovebox):
IMG_0295Medium.jpg

And Re-Circ on showing the hole for the fan - get ya hand in there!
IMG_0297Medium.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.