TOCA introduce new technical regulations for BTCC

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
BTCC have today introduced their new technical regulations to take the sport forward into the future.

The cars will adopt standardised durable two-litre turbo engine, with many parts standard to vastly reduce costs.

Read more at BTCC.net - http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1490

Technical overview of the new NGTC rules here - http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1489

Alan Gow answers some key questions regarding the new rules here - http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1488

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
You beat me to it Z. On a first read it looks like a well thought out way to take the series forward and cocks quite a snook at WTCC's current woes.

Unfortunately from SEAT'S point of view they would probably need to develop a 2.0 TFSi EXEO as the basic Touring car.

Even at the reduced cost on offer, having sunk so much into the Leon TDI's it's tricky to see how an "EXEO Cupra" marketing strategy will fit the bill in 2011. They won't be ready for their own next generation B segment road car for a few more years, and it will depend on whether they can make EXEO turn a profit. :shrug:

Having said that if the reasonably priced Lacetti can be transformed into the current competitive runner then anything is possible. ;)

Ps: with the more reasonable costs it may open up some possibilities for YRC. Here's hoping:thumbup:

Last edited:

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Brief Specifications:
• Front-wheel-drive
• 2-litre turbocharged production-based 4-cylinder petrol engine, producing approx. 300bhp with a 7,000 rev limit, 0.8 bar of boost and inlet-restrictor.
• 6-speed sequential semi-automatic gearbox
• Increased minimum length of 4.4m
• Standardised width of 1875mm
• 2, 3, 4 or 5 door – providing they share the same basic silhouette and dimensions as the 4/5 door saloon version
• Fully adjustable subframe-mounted front & rear suspension
• Larger wheels/tyres
• Common major components to be utilised; such as ECU, gearbox, brakes, hubs, steering rack, fuel tank and etc.
• Integrated front aerodynamics to incorporate radiators, cooling ducts and partial flat-floor to a given design parameter/dimension. Specified rear wing profile and size. Each car to be wind-tunnel tested to achieve similar aero equality
• Increased driver safety
• Stronger and more robust major components with full at-event parts supply service and support
Lower C02 emissions output than current

Guess the first point means after the S2000 cars are phased out in 2013, its bye bye BMW

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The A4 that shares the Exeo underpinnings has already been developed to run under S2000 rules in the Swedish touring car series, so it wouldn't be a huge step to configure something under these rules.

Though we all presume that a Cupra sports version is a neccersary evil for the manufacturer to involve itself, the core focus is the marketing halo effect it brings to the whole range. The simpler and seemingly more equal regulations and the lower costs involved might tempt them back for the marketing coverage they could get.

However SEAT Sport UK has as an entity been completely disolved, many of the people involved within SEAT including Scott Dennis have moved on to pastures new. So it would have to be an all new strategy from the brand to look at the BTCC again.

Peter Wyhinny (SEAT MD) is a fan of motorsport and a national level competitor himself but the company would first have to weigh up the commercial value of re-entering the sport.

As you say Tim, the Lacetti is going well and has no hot variant in the marketplace that I know of.

Who knows what will happen, but it's interesting to see the BTCC making a firm announcement on the direction of the sport and it's bound to be a far cry from the constant juggling that takes place in WTCC.

Last edited:

Leonidas

It'll be great to see the Exeo against the Mondeo, Laguna, Accord, Cruze, 159 etc.

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
Unless SEAT build an EXEO WTCC car for next year (which is doubtful, as some other websites have suggested that this may be there last WTCC season, and lets face it, the LEON is a dated chassis), there will be no EXEO touring cars for sale by the time 2011 gets here, which means either (like Team Dynamics currently do) the car would be built from scartch, or they just wouldn't be there.
Shame really, as the new regs ould "level the playing fied" a little.

Leonidas

I think SEAT would be very interested in these rules. I cant see them leaving WTCC in favour of something like this :D

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Shame really, as the new regs ould "level the playing fied" a little.

It doesn't get much more level than THIS. :)

Problem at the moment is there's almost nothing between the cars (once the start's over with and the BMWs have all gained 5 places off the grid), so without any Matt Neal-stylee barging they would just end up following each other around for the whole race.

Leonidas

Also, having turbo's would mean more torque. Wouldn't there be even more overtaking then :shrug:

Leonidas

I suppose. I wonder will different manufactures be allowed use the exact technology used in there road cars, e.g. SEAT TFSi

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Not likely - standardised ECU won't help much.

2.0T of some sort perhaps... but I'm sure a larger turbo will be employed.

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
Also, having turbo's would mean more torque. Wouldn't there be even more overtaking then :shrug:

only if one had 'more' torque than another

but with 0.8bar there won't be that much torque

So does it not follow then, that it might actually come down to "racing", i.e. how good the driver is, and how well the mechanics/technicians set the car up!

God forbid that motor racing actually ends up being a sport that involves skill and knowing the car ;) :lol:

Leonidas

Im not understanding the chassis bit. Will they all be using the same suspension and chassis or will different manufactures use there own road car based design e.g. Multi-link axles and torsion beams........

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
I think there is the option to use any front wheel drive chassis, of 4.40m or more in length, 2,3,4 or 5 door, but basic car shape must resemble the 4 or 5 door production model.

Manufacturers own 2.0l petrol engine can be used..but the ECU and turbo will be universal, and supplied by TOCA.

If the team can't afford to develop an engine suitable for the TOCA ECU and Turbo, a "customer" engine has been spoken of.

(m0rk or Z, pleaase feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.