Toledo cutting out

sherlock

My 1.8 20v Toledo keeps cutting out when i slow down for junctions , Roundabouts etc. The traction control light comes on then the engine wont idle at all untill i turn it off then it seems to reset itsellf .
I have had a new o2 sensor and a new mass sensor and a new water temp sensor fitted by the garage but it still hasnt fixed the problem, Think i have been ripped off by them !
Does anyone have any idea what it could be ?

phillsw

Hi,

I'm getting the exact same problem with my 20v leon. It did it a couple of weeks ago; I noticed the traction control light was on, but didn't go off when I pressed the TC button. Then, every time I stopped at a junction, the revs would drop off and the engine would cut out.

It didn't happen again until this morning, so when I got back home I decided to test the alternator at the battery with a multimeter. Had readings of 12v with the engie off, and 13-14v with the engine idling. However, when I was testing it, I didn't experience any cut out and the TC light wan't on either, so I couldn't determine if I've got a failing alternator or not.

Did you manage to fid out what the problem was? I found another post about broken load signal cable, but none of the posts on there indicated any cut out problems.
see thread:209472 (I couldn't post a link).

sherlock

Still no joy with my toledo but the problem is becoming less frequent? It always occurs when the car has just reached working temperature so i am begining to suspect trouble with the egr valve but will keep you posted.
Thanks for your reply, Was begining to think i was the only one with the problem.
Cheers

sherlock

I think my car is going into meltdown now ! Not only is it still cutting out randomly but now the front passenger door will not unlock!
It sounds like its trying to but it makes a strange dull slow whirring noise as though the mechanism is stuck or broken?
Is there anyone out there in toledo hell like me who might have any ideas how i can fix this latest anoying problem?

c150student

I had a very similar problem with cutting out on my old petrol Vauxhall Astra. Clutch in to slow for a junction and sometimes the revs would just drop straight to 0. Turns out the EGR was sticking, so I blanked it off and it never happened again.

Not sure how similar the engines would be, but worth a look?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise