Torque slip or Clutch problem

Deleted member 28319

Not sure if it's me flappin but noticed recently that when changing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and my foot clear of the clutch my car seems to 'slip' and not get a lot traction and this is making me think that either my clutch is on the way out , or its greasy road surfaces ??.

combined with this my clutch only seems to bite in the last inch or so of travel and changing into gears other than 1st i do not feel any biting point. Therefore tonight thought i'd test the clutch, I found what appeared to be a dry surface, put the car in 3rd at 1000rpm and floored it 3 or 4 times suspecting that it will over rev but the car just pulled fine everytime.

Any ideas, my mate reckons it could be a combination of Torque slip and worn front tyres, as theres about 1000 miles left on them. Personally i cant decide between the clutch or just crap surfaces due the recent poor weather and i'm totally lost. Any sugestions..:confused:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i know mines going , as if im driving at about 1500 rpm and plant it it will shoot the revs to about 3-4k straight away

what about doing a hill start ??

if your spining , id expect traction light to throw up

Deleted member 28319

Thought i smelt a 'musky' burning smell but only for a few seconds, but no smells on my way home or today...
Also it's never over-revved, nor do i get a traction light. Will try a hill start and see what that throws up, however i expect it will pull no probs....

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members