Trimming Aero Blade to fit LCR, how to get the end cap off?

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi all, I have just bought three lovely new wiper arms and blades for my LCR but have only managed to fit two of them! The Fabia rear one was a doddle, as was the MK IV golf drivers side, but I need to trim the last 10~15mm of the passenger Aero blade to make it fit, (as mentioned in many threads), but how do I get the end cap off without damaging it so that I can re-fit it to the blade once trimmed? Any hints from those of you that have done it wound be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
I did this the other day on my cupra! It is a right bitch to get that end cap off, I firstly cut off about and inch and a quarter in length first (with a hacksaw cos of the metel bit inside) then with the cut off piece, I ripped out the rubber with the help of a small screwdriver, then eventually snapped the 2 metal prongs out, this was very tricky althought it looks like there is a plastic clip holding the metal pieces in place and if you force a small flat head screwdriver parallel along the top, into the cap, this should release the metal prongs. When you have the plasctic clip you'll notice that the remaining blade is slightly wider than the plasctic end, this is good tho because if you just press the plastic cap back on the end it will secure itself with a tight fit and stay on there with no other work needed!

Sorry if this is a bit confusing but hard to explain! Don't be afraid to play with it, it will probably need some force to get the clip off, its pretty tough, just be careful you don't brake it!
HTH ;)

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Cheers for the advice, I guess this means I need to cut off the end before removing the cap, I was trying to remove it before trimming!

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
i just pryed it off with a flatblade screwdriver.used a hacksaw to trim it down then superglued the cap back on

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Hairy said:
Hi all, I have just bought three lovely new wiper arms and blades for my LCR but have only managed to fit two of them! The Fabia rear one was a doddle, as was the MK IV golf drivers side, but I need to trim the last 10~15mm of the passenger Aero blade to make it fit, (as mentioned in many threads), but how do I get the end cap off without damaging it so that I can re-fit it to the blade once trimmed? Any hints from those of you that have done it wound be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mine fitted without any trimming at all - works fine!:rolleyes:

10114084351.jpg

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Songman said:
Mine fitted without any trimming at all - works fine!:rolleyes:

10114084351.jpg

And to save time it's half way round your windscreen already! ;)

Managed to get the end cap off in the end, found where the release clip is but it looks like it's a bugger to get to, I just pulled and twisted at the metal until it broke into three bits and fell out leaving the cap un-damaged. They look so much better than the old ones, (and seem to work quite well).

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well mines similar to songmans, however my drivers side arm is very slightly higher too, and u can't notice that ones at an angle at all.

I change my blades once a year, and I can't be arsed to have to cut the blade down every time - I'm just too lazy!

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
if you fit them higher they just look odd I just praised the end slowly with a flat screwn driver and then cut about 1.5 inches off the end. Then superglue the back bit back on the now shorter wiper. Arm sits lower and in correct place and it holds fine. 20K now on the blades no problem as yet

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
The asthetics of the wiper`s position are a matter of personal choice - I am quite happy with the position of mine, and like Pabs I coudn`t be bothered cutting the blade each time

I just wanted to point out that from a practical point of view, it is not necessary to cut the blade - the blade functions very well in `uncut` form - the `wiper pattern` is fine and gives overall excellent performance.
:)

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
magic77 said:
yep very true but dont you find with it sitting higher that it causes it to move when driving and not using them as they are in the air flow instead of tucked behind the bonnet

I`ve done 20,000 miles since I fitted the wipers without any probs - whatever grabs you mate! - try it without cutting first - if you don`t like, then cut it.:)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
magic77 said:
yep very true but dont you find with it sitting higher that it causes it to move when driving and not using them as they are in the air flow instead of tucked behind the bonnet

not in the slightest. I've heard people complain that their wipers make a whislting noise at 70mph, but never had an issue with mine at all. My wipers still sit on the black area of the glass (the bottom edge)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.