Tuning Chip / Box advice

nabster323

Hello again all.

I was surfing the web a while back and noticed Tuning Chips on the internet. From what I interpreted they plug into the engine under the hood and help to increase your total HP / Torque by an avergae of 35%. But can be easily removed as / when needed.

The one I found is located here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-TUNING-BOX-IBIZA-LEON-TOLEDO-TFSI-TSI-T-/110816653017?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D110766908642%252B110766908642%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6047634249109326959#ht_2683wt_1294

They've quoted 105hp to 127hp for my car. I was hoping that someone on this forum has had experience with these and could enlighten me on the following:

• Does it interfeare with the Security system in the car (cause it to lock the driver out / prevent the engine from starting? etc...)
  • Can a dealership detect that you have used it if you remove it before a service?
  • Will using one void my warrenty?
  • Are they known to cause problems?
  • Are they worth the money?
  • Can anyone recommend any others like this?

Thanks,
nabster323

Last edited by a moderator:

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Hi Mate

The basic train of thought you have is correct, the box will connect to certain sensors in the car and bypass the signals to increase the power.
I would say 20-30% is more in line with what a box can give.

If I was you I would look at other alternatives, I have a TMC box and while it's a bit expensive it's worth paying the extra for it. Obviously
that box might work well but it seems a little cheap for my liking. I believe Adam (adamb87) had one on his old 1.6 TDI so might be able to
advise further.

I'll try and answer your questions :

1. No it shouldn't do this, any decent box will work within the set safety parameters of the car.
2. No they should not be able to
3. Yes it will if proven to be found on the car/at fault for something relating to what it works with (engine)
4. For me, yes, although I didn't pay for mine, I would have, it gives the car a whole new lease of life and midrange is fantastic
5. People will always have horror stories about any product, some have had problems, some have had none.

Like I said (I'm not a TMC rep honest!), the TMC box and service I recieved from them was brilliant

Hope this helps

nabster323

Hi Mate

The basic train of thought you have is correct, the box will connect to certain sensors in the car and bypass the signals to increase the power.
I would say 20-30% is more in line with what a box can give.

If I was you I would look at other alternatives, I have a TMC box and while it's a bit expensive it's worth paying the extra for it. Obviously
that box might work well but it seems a little cheap for my liking. I believe Adam (adamb87) had one on his old 1.6 TDI so might be able to
advise further.

I'll try and answer your questions :

1. No it shouldn't do this, any decent box will work within the set safety parameters of the car.
2. No they should not be able to
3. Yes it will if proven to be found on the car/at fault for something relating to what it works with (engine)
4. For me, yes, although I didn't pay for mine, I would have, it gives the car a whole new lease of life and midrange is fantastic
5. People will always have horror stories about any product, some have had problems, some have had none.

Like I said (I'm not a TMC rep honest!), the TMC box and service I recieved from them was brilliant

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply VRSLOZ.

I am happy to see that my understanding was ok!
So where can I buy the TMC chip and how much would it be / are they easy to fit?
One of my principles in life is buy cheap buy twice so if there is a better brand out there I would rather get it :D.

What car did you apply it to if you don't mind me asking? And was it in warranty at the time and did you notice any damage etc?

Haha you do seem like a TMC rep it must be said, but I will take your word for it!

nabster323

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Haha just a happy customer :thumbup:

Have a look on the TMC website

Fitting does look a little tricky but realistically it's pretty simple, can do mine in less than 10 mins now :) Fitting guide I did.

Mine was applied to my Fabia vRS 1.4 TSi, it's a 2011 plate car and it doesn't seem to be causing any damage or problems (TOUCH WOOD!!!).

I posted the below on my RR thread, it's from another customer of TMC :

Jetta 1.4 Tsi (160hp)
Before: 165hp, 225nm
After: 192hp, 260nm
Gain: +27hp, +35nm

900fed40.jpg

**These readings were taken at DKC Jidousha (Blk 9002 Tampines Street 93, Industrial Park A #01-66. Singapore 528836), using a rolling road dyno. Please multiply all readings by factor of 1.2 to find engine power.**

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
As vrs loz said I had one on my 1.6tdi and would agree totally with what he said. Never had any problems with my car. Just removed it for servicing and all was rosy. Shame it wont go on the cupra. Its sitting round gathering dust. May check the tmc ones out me thinks

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Jetta 1.4 Tsi (160hp)

900fed40.jpg

**These readings were taken at DKC Jidousha (Blk 9002 Tampines Street 93, Industrial Park A #01-66. Singapore 528836), using a rolling road dyno. Please multiply all readings by factor of 1.2 to find engine power.**

Bear in mind that it isnt an ideal guide.

multiplying the figures by 1.2 implies a 20% loss in power through the drivetrain. Thats not realistic at all. you looking more liekly to be about 16-17% on a FWD, so multiply by 1.17.

Also just because 1 car gives 40Hp with stage 1 on one car it doesnt mean others will.

ie stage 1 on a
K03 TFSI = +40hp
K04 TFSI = +70hp
1.4TSi Ibiza Cupra = + 20hp
1.4TSI Ibiza Fr = + 40Hp

The Ibiza Fr is a detuned Cupra engine hence the bg gains. this might be the same for the Jetta. BUT also bear in mind the older 1.4TSi engines run different fuel pumps, injectors, turbos amongst many other parts.

I am keen to see the results of the TMC box on a rollers. You need to hurry up with that lol

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
If this is another "tuning box" I wouldn't bother mate. Yes they do trick the engine into thinking there's more air coming into the engine and forces it to up the fuelling but it's a false economy. It'll just force it to run rich and probably wash out the bores. As for the quoted power figures they give, usually nonsense and achieve nowhere near what they say they will. Get a proper remap for your cars engine that will adjust the fuel and air properly! You get what you pay for!!!

Gotta love the way they plaster a half naked bint over the pic to try and sell the product though :lol: I wouldn't buy it unless she comes with it

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Interesting, I just emailed TMC asking some questions, because having had my most recent warranty session with Skoda - I'm warming to the idea more & more.

But I'm hopeful that the box isn't too universal, and is meant for the CR170 engine (ie, no baggy wires etc)

If it's all good, I expect I'll choose this over a remap now dealers are getting brighter!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Haha just a happy customer :thumbup:

Have a look on the TMC website

Fitting does look a little tricky but realistically it's pretty simple, can do mine in less than 10 mins now :) Fitting guide I did.

Mine was applied to my Fabia vRS 1.4 TSi, it's a 2011 plate car and it doesn't seem to be causing any damage or problems (TOUCH WOOD!!!).

I posted the below on my RR thread, it's from another customer of TMC :

Jetta 1.4 Tsi (160hp)

900fed40.jpg

A happy customer?? Yo already said you didn't pay for yours.. But i can see why your singing their praises when u got it free. What a great AD ;);)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Got a datasheet in response to my email, not answering most of my questions

But it's not specific to my engine / engine output - just a 2.0 TDI

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
A happy customer?? Yo already said you didn't pay for yours.. But i can see why your singing their praises when u got it free. What a great AD ;);)

Lol well I have spoken to Daron @ TMC a few times regarding the fitting etc and although I didn't pay for it my sister did so it wasn't a freebie so to speak.

I'm just a happy customer and no affliation with them.

Last edited:

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
If this is another "tuning box" I wouldn't bother mate. Yes they do trick the engine into thinking there's more air coming into the engine and forces it to up the fuelling but it's a false economy. It'll just force it to run rich and probably wash out the bores. As for the quoted power figures they give, usually nonsense and achieve nowhere near what they say they will. Get a proper remap for your cars engine that will adjust the fuel and air properly! You get what you pay for!!!

Gotta love the way they plaster a half naked bint over the pic to try and sell the product though :lol: I wouldn't buy it unless she comes with it

Trouble is AFAIK there is no alternative to a tuning box currently for either the 1.6TDI or 1.2TSI engines. Its either wait for a (possibly) long time for someone to crack the ECU or buy a box and get instant gains... You could always sell the tuning box when a remap becomes available. ;)

Also so far I haven't heard any horror stories surrounding tuning boxes from well known reputable companies. I would personally steer clear of unknown companies selling generic tuning boxes on auction sites, though...

And at the price that fleabay company is selling the box, I'd happily just accept that nice lady with the plastic wobbly bits and they can keep the box! Lol :p

***** Sent from my Motorola Defy using Tapatalk. *****

Last edited:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
It's not specific to the cr170 engine even

Generic to the engine block. So im passing on that level of generic

Depends on what you mean, A remap for a CR170 engine will be a generic remap for the block tuned on a percentage gradient to the cr170 capabilitys off the AF/M

This box is no different to that you have a box that is made for the cr170 engine with a potentiometer on the side to adapt the percentage of increase to your engine block. so in theory it is the same.

Now a custom map from the company we arn't allowed to mention will always get that curve a little smoother as he is tuning the map to that specific block in much smaller increases that can be allowed. he can also mess with a few other bits if he fancies to allow for some simple mods you could have already.

So tbh with the tuning box you are lookign no different to a generic remap stage one.

But if you have your heart set on something a bit more productive then you need to look at a custom tuned rr map.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No, these are not even designed specifically for the CR170 - just a 2.0 TDI. CR/PD/105/140/170

I asked a bunch of questions, and no answers were forthcoming. Which is a shame.

Generic CR170 remap it will have to be. But these I hoped would be the answer

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.